• RMweb Gold

Back to railways - I think your weathered wagon is fine too. Wagons would have a different amount of weathering depending on how long it's been since they were new or repainted. I guess the TMC ones are their interpretation of lightly weathered.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

All of the iron parts of the tools I painted with humbrol 173, German camouflage red brown, a good dark rust, dry brushed with 53 gunmetal.

The handles are natural wood, overpainted with leather and pale grey. The blade on the rail saw is pale blue (old school Eclipse industrial hacksaw, with a swipe of gunmetal on the working edge. A mix of satin black and oily steel on the screws for the jack and the Jim crow.

Pictures are being pesky, but I'll keep trying!

IMG_20211113_133303.jpg.7ed31f98b2b33c025ec659cb8e1a7d97.jpg

IMG_20211113_133321.jpg.ae2dc78b203e7c91eac6e06840bf6590.jpg

IMG_20211113_133313.jpg.f0cc02f8541d7704cb33b6845f86c088.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no load!
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Sten or Sterling? It's difficult to tell from that angel. 

I wouldn't worry Chris she won't hit much holding it like that. Holding sub machine guns in that way is a myth perpetuated by movies.  

Regards Lez.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

All of the iron parts of the tools I painted with humbrol 173, German camouflage red brown, a good dark rust, dry brushed with 53 gunmetal.

The handles are natural wood, overpainted with leather and pale grey. The blade on the rail saw is pale blue (old school Eclipse industrial hacksaw, with a swipe of gunmetal on the working edge. A mix of satin black and oily steel on the screws for the jack and the Jim crow.

Pictures are being pesky, but I'll keep trying!

Sounds like a good paint job to me. Keep trying with the pics.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, lezz01 said:

Sten or Sterling? It's difficult to tell from that angel. 

I wouldn't worry Chris she won't hit much holding it like that. Holding sub machine guns in that way is a myth perpetuated by movies.  

Regards Lez.

I'm sure Miss R loves being called an angel.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's a Sten MK4 with the wooden stock. A genuine Arnhem relic. 

She was mucking around for the camera and does actually know that holding the mag like that can jam the weapon. One of the Stens little faults!

The main one being that it wouldn't hit a barn door at 50 yards.

Regards Lez.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Yep they are now. Nice paint job Wolfy old chap.

Regards Lez.

Thank you, very nice of you old chap.

I had one of my 1920s spanners to hand as a sort of life model for the colours.

IMG_20211113_143723.jpg.a1c14d6a9faff493b56864f12fb77846.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Theodolites
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Well a Spitfire isn't a weapon. It's a weapons platform. A spitfires weapons were quite frankly rubbish to start with as it only had 8x .303 machine guns whilst the Bf109 had 20mm cannon and 7.92mm machine guns. As Wolfy pointed out it was only really decent when they re-armed it with 20mm cannons.

The STG44 or Sturmgewehr, ( assault rifle), had many firsts for an infantry weapon. It was the first assault rifle, the first weapon with plastic furniture and the first weapon designed to shoot around corners with a curved barrel extension. It was a development of the Gewehr 43 which was a single shot self loading rifle. The Stg44 had a larger magazine and could fire single shots, bursts and fully automatic. It was the inspiration for the Russian AK47 which as you all know went on to become the most successful assault rifle the world has seen. More AKs have been built than any other weapon.

Regards Lez.        

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Well a Spitfire isn't a weapon. It's a weapons platform. A spitfires weapons were quite frankly rubbish to start with as it only had 8x .303 machine guns whilst the Bf109 had 20mm cannon and 7.92mm machine guns. As Wolfy pointed out it was only really decent when they re-armed it with 20mm cannons.

The STG44 or Sturmgewehr, ( assault rifle), had many firsts for an infantry weapon. It was the first assault rifle, the first weapon with plastic furniture and the first weapon designed to shoot around corners with a curved barrel extension. It was a development of the Gewehr 43 which was a single shot self loading rifle. The Stg44 had a larger magazine and could fire single shots, bursts and fully automatic. It was the inspiration for the Russian AK47 which as you all know went on to become the most successful assault rifle the world has seen. More AKs have been built than any other weapon.

Regards Lez.        

Frankly grateful to my Fathers generation  that mine didn't have to rely on, or be on the receiving end of, any of the above . . . . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve just put it alongside one of its siblings to look at the difference and I might have gone a bit too heavy with the filth :blush:

I don't think so - departmental wagons would probably be rather muckier than their revenue earning cousins, less need to clean stuff the punters don't see... They were often much older too, using cast-offs that had been withdrawn from revenue stock (a great excuse if you want to build something that'd otherwise be out of period)

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

At least the Sten gun is deactivated.

What about the others??? :o

• Informative/Useful 3