Hi,

not to get bogged down in physics, but unless all the parts involved are engineered to work in harmony with each other, there is always a small a small amount of waddle when using such a rolling road.  There's the interface between the rail and roller saddle, play in the rollers and play in the locomotive chassis.  I have run various diesels on a similar rolling road, with various degrees of waddle yet they run as smooth as silk on my layout.  IMHO I wouldn't worry about the small amount of waddle displayed on the rollers, it is doubtful if you'd notice it when they're running on the layout, unless you're pretending that they are express locos!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Rolling roads really do show up and exaggerate wobble, just made a quick film of my Class 44 running, it hasn't had any extra weight added yet, just the modified Mainline body and a Mainly Trains chassis, compensated with High Level hornblocks. Like a jelly on the rollers, like silk (ish) on the track.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, 

It really comes down to how smooth they are on the track at slow speeds. If they are smooth, accelerate and decelerate in a nice gradual manner then they are probably fine. 

But you are the one who needs to be happy here.  Personally, I would run a bit of a shunting sequence. You know how you'd expect them to run. If you are happy after that, all is good. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

They aren't waddling, so much as they're hunting. It's something that I've noticed happens on rollers but once you get the loco on to proper track, they run fine. Part of the mechanics of how coned wheels work on rails and the rollers don't represent a proper rail. :)

I think they will run just fine once you get them on the layout. :)

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 06/12/2021 at 21:18, chuffinghell said:

The Oxford Dean Goods ran like a pig from day one so I doubt there’s much I can do about that

It took 3 attempts for me to get a good runner, luckily Rails were great at taking the bad runners back and thoroughly tested the 3rd one before sending out to me (phoning me and asking what specific tests to try).

Several issues I noticed on mine. One had the tender pickups not touching the wheels. Another had the pickups pressing so hard, it struggled to pull just the tender. The first two both had issues with the centre driving wheels not touch the track, so they were running as an 0-4-0 on the outer wheels. This was revealed after running on the test oval and seeing the centre wheels not being polished up. Try putting a good straight edge across the driving wheels and see if you can see a gap.

The 3rd one I got ran well out of the box and after an hour or two on the test track, I could see polishing on the centre wheels. The tender picks seem bang on too.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Those issues sound distressingly like those I encountered with my Heljan 1366.   Makes me wonder if both makes sourced to the same factory.   Or if such misses in quality are the new standard...

BTW, @chuffinghell I would actually recommend the 1366, if you had use for it on your layout.   Once sorted, a very decent runner - and puller.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Trix wheel cleaner appears to do the job, did a quick video before and after cleaning.

Before cleaning the loco doesn’t run at a constant speed and occasionally stops/starts

After a quick clean it appears to perform a lot better

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

The Trix wheel cleaner appears to do the job, did a quick video before and after cleaning.

Before cleaning the loco doesn’t run at a constant speed and occasionally stops/starts

Looks like another thing to add to Christmas list! Definitely does the job.

Very amusing choice of soundtrack as well

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Those issues sound distressingly like those I encountered with my Heljan 1366.   Makes me wonder if both makes sourced to the same factory.   Or if such misses in quality are the new standard...

BTW, @chuffinghell I would actually recommend the 1366, if you had use for it on your layout.   Once sorted, a very decent runner - and puller.

I had a Heljan 1366. It was a bit of a lumpy runner. They have two keeper plates. If you slacken the screws holding the outer one it makes no difference. Slacken and adjust the inner one which retain the wheels/bearings and it makes all the difference and mine was transformed simply by doing this. Far too tight. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, DRoe96 said:

Looks like another thing to add to Christmas list! Definitely does the job.

Likewise, it looks like it would cope with my er,. eclectic collection of locos.

1 hour ago, DRoe96 said:

Very amusing choice of soundtrack as well

Now I feel like blowing up a planet, or at least burn a village or two.

• Funny 4

Looking at your pannier trio bumbling away there I have several locos that wibble about a good deal more than that so as others have said I think they are fine. You will notice it less on the track as the loco is moving and your brain spends less effort watching small details.

• Thanks 1

On 08/12/2021 at 18:50, chuffinghell said:

That's a nice set you have there Chris. Glad you've sorted your loco cleaning. :good:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a cordless vac designed for keyboards that would do the job mate. I'll take a pic and post it for you.

It was a Christmas prezzy from wifey I don't think it was much money either. I use it for cleaning glass fibre shards off the workbench when I'm soldering.

Regards Lez.   

• Informative/Useful 2

The night time filming looks great, not too many lights, just enough to work by and spot on for the period modelled. I've always liked the idea of lighting on a layout but always been put off by the amount of layouts that look like Blackpool illuminations. This layout has changed my mind. I'm thinking of just three lights on my layout, just as an excuse to run the railcar in the dark!

The engine shed interior is really well observed and could pass for 7mm scale if you didn't know otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The night time filming looks great, not too many lights, just enough to work by and spot on for the period modelled. I've always liked the idea of lighting on a layout but always been put off by the amount of layouts that look like Blackpool illuminations. This layout has changed my mind. I'm thinking of just three lights on my layout, just as an excuse to run the railcar in the dark!

The engine shed interior is really well observed and could pass for 7mm scale if you didn't know otherwise.

Lights do look good. I think in photos they sometime appear brighter that they are. As well as resistors, mine are powered by an old DC controller so I can adjust the brightest to exactly how I want. I have 8 on my layout at present but the site I am modelling had more in photos. The train shed is unlit at the moment too.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

It still looks fantastic, a great bit of modelling.

Al.

Thanks Al :)

I thought maybe a running/testing session was well overdue, just glad things are working. The track needs a good clean though but I’ll do that after all the track is down, ballasted and weathered

Seeing locos run up and down has at least boosted my mojo 

1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Loving the night time shot and vid Chris. It really shows off the engine shed detailing to great effect.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez

Its one of those details that can only really be appreciated with a photo otherwise i might knock something over with my face :lol:

47 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks Rob

I just wanted enough for a little atmosphere

I must admit I quite fancy a railcar myself for the same reason

50 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

high praise indeed, thank you

42 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Lights do look good. I think in photos they sometime appear brighter that they are. As well as resistors, mine are powered by an old DC controller so I can adjust the brightest to exactly how I want. I have 8 on my layout at present but the site I am modelling had more in photos. The train shed is unlit at the moment too.

Thanks Jonathan

I’ve taken a feed off the track to a unit that converts the 16v AC to 12v DC (x3) the unit also has a potentiometer so I can reduce the output voltage as required

DC85D785-412F-4556-9D18-1A14308E515C.jpeg.8ae60d87216d8baf9df69a5b4357b90f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks Al :)

I thought maybe a running/testing session was well overdue, just glad things are working. The track needs a good clean though but I’ll do that after all the track is down, ballasted and weathered

It's great that you've got some things moving. That is what it's all about after all!

Whatever you do, though, don't ask what the best method of cleaning your track is! :wink_mini: We've seen recently that that sets off a chain reaction that doesn't end well! :wink_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1