• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

If it doesn't blend in, sprinkle some green powder around as more moss growing where the water splashes.

Actually Chris I was going to suggest that for your water crane, around the drain grate, and the stone / concrete surround, give it a wash of diluted green - something like Humbrol 30 Matt Acrylic, to suggest a bit of lichen / moss.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

If it doesn't blend in, sprinkle some green powder around as more moss growing where the water splashes.

11 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Actually Chris I was going to suggest that for your water crane, around the drain grate, and the stone / concrete surround, give it a wash of diluted green - something like Humbrol 30 Matt Acrylic, to suggest a bit of lichen / moss.

Al.

Thanks for the hints/tips guys it’s appreciated as always

I doubt I’d have gotten this far without the continued help and support 

Chris

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Most of what I suggest comes from observation of the real world.

It might sound glib, but Sherlock Holmes once said to Watson "You see, but you do not observe". It struck a chord with me and I've tried to follow the maxim where I can.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Sir, sir! me too Sir!

:D

Someone on this forum very kindly said to me once that my modelling works because I model what I see, not what I think I should see.

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You’re both correct of course, I’m just ‘green’ when it comes to what techniques and materials to use as some things scale differently (if that makes sense)

Sarah and I are currently on the last series of Elementary and I’m praying that in at least one episode someone says “no sh*t Sherlock” :lol:

• Funny 4

11 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

It might sound glib, but Sherlock Holmes once said to Watson "You see, but you do not observe". It struck a chord with me and I've tried to follow the maxim where I can.

11 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Sir, sir! me too Sir!

:D

Someone on this forum very kindly said to me once that my modelling works because I model what I see, not what I think I should see.

Al.

Wise words guys and a good bit of advice. modelling what you see is sometimes difficult but if got right does lift a layout to looking fantastic.

Steve.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

You’re both correct of course, I’m just ‘green’ when it comes to what techniques and materials to use as some things scale differently (if that makes sense)

I  agree that things scale differently and  I also think there's things don't always translate to model form easily, I always enjoy looking at and trying new ideas and materials. 

Steve.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

No going back now, the engine shed is officially down ^_^

3CCDB2FC-AA59-40BA-85BB-E5F6C4277267.jpeg

All I need to do now is make up the point rodding, glue it down. Glue down the platform then I can put down the rest of the ballast and have a play with my static grass applicator then continue to work from left to right

The way I’m working is probably strange/wrong to some but it has always been my intention to work on the removable section as a separate entity before completing the build

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 11

11 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I'd suggest you go light on the static grass. Railways didn't usually get overgrown until the end due to lack of maintenance.

Neat and Tidy I think was the order of the day back then.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I'd suggest you go light on the static grass. Railways didn't usually get overgrown until the end due to lack of maintenance.

15 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Neat and Tidy I think was the order of the day back then.

I’m not going to go mad with the grass, it’s mainly for the embankment and surrounding area (the wild unkept areas) I’m just going to put a little flock around the engine shed

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2019 at 20:27, Alister_G said:

Al.

I’ve got some Vallejo washes of which one is green so I’ve attempted your suggestion......I think :wacko:

B2C13F37-A495-4D5B-9928-C30D57E0F1AA.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

I’ve been experimenting with ash ballast and flock on my ‘test plank’

33B4D560-19A0-4C35-8EB8-90525BA9C419.jpeg

• Like 7

It all looks really good Chris, I'd agree with peoples thoughts on not putting too much static grass down, have you any prototype pics you could look at to get some ideas? 

Your test plank looks ok, what have you used there?

Steve.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sb67 said:

It all looks really good Chris, I'd agree with peoples thoughts on not putting too much static grass down, have you any prototype pics you could look at to get some ideas? 

Your test plank looks ok, what have you used there?

Steve.

Thanks Steve

The static grass is for the surrounding areas (currently painted brown) I'll be using flock on the ballast to represent moss and weeds

I'm not working to any prototype, just the image in my head :blink:

The 'ash' is something called basing sand which I found on Ebay and the flock is a fine 2 in 1 flock from Geek Gaming

Unfortunately when I looked at it this morning the ballast has dried very patchy so I'm not sure how to remedy that just yet :unsure: I'm hoping its because its not fully dried out yet because it was quite cold over night and I don't have the heating on in the play room

Its going to bug me all day till I get home from work to see if its any better 

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

Will you be adding piles of 'junk' stored against the outer wall?

E.g. Old wheels, bits of pipe, odd lumps of metal, stacks of sleepers, piles of chairs, lengths of rail, etc.

Grass would have grown in and around any such stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Will you be adding piles of 'junk' stored against the outer wall?

E.g. Old wheels, bits of pipe, odd lumps of metal, stacks of sleepers, piles of chairs, lengths of rail, etc.

Grass would have grown in and around any such stuff.

I'd not thought about that to be perfectly honest but it is something I should start to consider

I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of suitable photos :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

A quick search has found this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/E7SwQKLmN8JsnRLCA

Probably images around current day Heritage railways might help too.

Thanks Stu

I've got Churnet Valley and Foxfield railways not too far away from home.......I'll have to do some recon:keeporder:

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

........E.g. Old wheels

Sorry for the stupid question but would old wheels be just left on the ground or would they put down a coupe of lengths of rail or on top of wooden blocks (or sleepers)

Edited by chuffinghell

I really want to advise caution again here.

As regards junk, grot and grass do please remember you're modelling the 1930s and not the 1960s. You need to google for branch engine shed images for your era, I would honestly suggest you avoid heritage railways and photos taken in BR days. I think you will be surprised at how tidy they are and how little grass is around. Your digitally edited image has far too much grass I feel. Engine shed areas were often dirty but immaculately tidy due to so many people working there and constantly tramping back and forth. I really don't think you'd see loco wheels at a GW branch shed at all, nor even much junk, all major repairs happened at Swindon or Wolverhampton so there'd be no reason to have big engineering parts at a rural location.

These images generally show the places were dirty but in earlier decades very tidy. The 50s and 60s images show a greater and greater accumulation of waste ash and general junk with grasses only growing very sparsely. Grass tends not to like growing in places where there's lot of oil around!

Pontrilas 1909

i50ad0b5f0ae21.jpg

Pontrilas c1930s

i50ad0b5f0d95b.jpg

i50ad0b5f0f86f.jpg

In the above pic the nearest track is the running line of the Golden Valley branch. There appears to be some sparse grasses under the yard lamp where people don't walk. The grassy embankment behind is beginning to encroach nearer the track.

Tewkesbury 1950s

Tewkesbury_engine_shed_1717892_298fbad0.

Tewkesbury 1960s

02c677a15f8bc0557fc07a988d8be60f.jpg

43754%20Tewks%20shed%20c%201958.jpg

Boiler washout shed, Worcester, 1965

http://www.miac.org.uk/worcestershedsrnp.html

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2