• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Chris, that works for me.

I have all this fun to come.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade

I can’t imagine it being any less fiddly on an O gauge layout but possibly kinder on the eyes, I’m going to have to go to the opticians later to get my eyes uncrossed :blink:

Chris

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

The colouring of the point rodding and stuff is great, looks just right. Nice detailage mate... :D

Al.

Thanks Al

I admit I wasn’t sure about the colour but looking at photos of the real thing the colour variation is vast from clean, dirty to red rusty

Chris

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

can’t imagine it being any less fiddly on an O gauge layout but possibly kinder on the eyes, I’m going to have to go to the opticians later to get my eyes uncrossed :blink:

Sounds like you need to get a magnifier, Chris. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well that’s it for today, ballast down and glue applied so now for the bit I’m not very good at.....leaving it alone while it drys, I’m terrible at waiting for paint or glue to dry and end up messing while it’s still wet and it usually ends in disaster :blush:

672E7473-2750-42FE-98E4-431B3FEF4E0E.jpeg.435b24a5f61371f08e65eb75b4e87374.jpeg

8C8C0B64-F936-4842-B1BC-53494E7720CD.jpeg.a583fc7fd24d42754e14e597f4f491e4.jpeg

If it doesn’t need any touching up tomorrow I’ll be weathering the ballast and maybe, just maybe have the opportunity to play with my static grass applicator.....but I’ll probably find I have some holes to fill in :rolleyes:

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by @Mikkel’s blog I’ve added a permanent ladder to the yard lamp

81813BB3-1503-43FA-9F6F-B97932136A72.jpeg.cd5a77a8e696b893ba7f08cd95e0dd6b.jpeg

I’ve used an ECKON brass ladder, bent over at the top and chemically blackened
2C17132F-755B-4FD2-A315-4E1A2DF4D30F.jpeg.a67925c0f2b802d33b37be74cf402355.jpeg

Added a little ash around the base to mask the glue :unsure: in hindsight I should have added the ladder before ballasting....c’est la via

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I’m going to leave to ballast a little longer to fully harden before airbrushing/weathering (unlike me to leave things alone)

In the meantime I’ve taken a chance and added a little coal near the coaling stage on and around the track

F1DB58CB-B501-4C41-852A-43EBF7841CE3.jpeg.eefea3e0672fa82ca0508b54af01a5f0.jpeg

I may have gone a little overboard but it’s difficult to tell while it’s still wet, stands to reason you’re going to drop a bit on the floor.....well I would

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Seemed like a good time to add the fire buckets

4CF6C852-6758-4A4C-B5D7-BF32F52836DB.jpeg.48828fddf06fce664a3e4e26678c3c07.jpeg

Im not quite sure how Shaun the Shoveller managed to get coal everywhere and still miss getting any in the sand buckets.....talented bloke :D

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction
  • Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2019 at 11:26, Alister_G said:

The colouring of the point rodding and stuff is great, looks just right. Nice detailage mate... :D

Al.

I’ve attempted to add more detailage using various weathering powders (rust, dark earth & black)

2A7F7272-FCCA-4EF7-B786-5C1366E37240.jpeg.46b63c982cbbac1759a1d0b150f26d8c.jpeg

I’m going to have a look at dusting (very lightly) with white on a scrap piece as galvanised steel tends to oxidise a powdery white

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve attempted to add more detailage using various weathering powders (rust, dark earth & black)

2A7F7272-FCCA-4EF7-B786-5C1366E37240.jpeg.46b63c982cbbac1759a1d0b150f26d8c.jpeg

I’m going to have a look at dusting (very lightly) with white on a scrap piece as galvanised steel tends to oxidise a powdery white

Add some oily black around the rollers and anywhere else where there is a pivot, Chris. The rods themselves stayed generally dry but the moving parts were kept well-lubricated.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Add some oily black around the rollers and anywhere else where there is a pivot, Chris. The rods themselves stayed generally dry but the moving parts were kept well-lubricated.

Thanks for the advice

Chris

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As will any bits around areas where locos stand - along with the ballast and sleepers!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

38 minutes ago, Nick C said:

As will any bits around areas where locos stand - along with the ballast and sleepers!

Thanks for your help

I’ll look at these points further down the line as I will no doubt be adding finer details here and there as the build continues

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 19/10/2019 at 23:59, Alister_G said:

I reckon you've got it about right Chris, but if you'll forgive me, it looks a bit too neat? Try and overcome your OCD and add some ragged edges... :D

All looking splendid,

Al.

I'd say also try to make it look like it's been walked off in various directions. That stuff sticks to shoes real easy, especially if it's wet. 

J

• Informative/Useful 1