• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

If the chimney is there , where in the room is the fireplace? Is there a wall parallel to the platform edge? That would make that room fairly narrow.

I was thinking more along the lines of it being perpetually to the platform edge on the partition wall between the station masters office and booking hall, as you’re only seeing half of the building those two rooms are potentially twice the depth and....maybe, I don’t know, not done low relief before...would be simpler to leave it off

Edited by chuffinghell

Generally with Victorian buildings of this type, a chimney would be on the end wall of a building if serving only one room, or as you say on the partition wall between two rooms, serving two fireplaces built back to back.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

As the Station Masters office doesn’t have lighting (hence no interior) I’ve painted his door ready for fitting

1B6EB270-5EED-4510-A865-C15F25AB19A6.jpeg.7ac710cbc57e914ec285e78edf4c0863.jpeg

8275DCAF-E61E-4244-AEFF-32980224032F.jpeg.ee168e8951f832664b93046f9fe71ed9.jpeg

I won’t fit the other doors and windows until I’ve finished the interiors

Edited by chuffinghell
Another photo added
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I’ve ordered some etched plates from Narrow Planet for the doors ie “STATION MASTER” etc

I’m sure it will be pointed out to me that the font I’ve gone for isn’t correct :( I’ve had to select a condensed font to fit the space available on the door (better than nowt)

I’ve had their number and nameplates plates before and they are really good quality but unfortunately their lead time is currently eight to twelve weeks :blink:

But then it’s taking me a long time to get anything finished lately.... I think my ‘get up and go’ has got up and gone

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

I'd be surprised if no-one does ready made etched GW station signs? 

If you could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

They need to be no bigger than 1.5mm high x 8.5mm long

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, can't find etched ones, but Sankey Scenics, Smith's and Trackside Signs all do printed ones - though I'm not convinced by the latter, they look more like BR ones.

https://www.sankeyscenics.co.uk/oo-gauge-4mm/4551202445

https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Smiths_Components_for__OO__.html

https://tracksidesigns.co.uk/Die-Cut-Great-Western-Railway-Stat

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2020 at 09:29, Nick C said:

Hmm, can't find etched ones, but Sankey Scenics, Smith's and Trackside Signs all do printed ones - though I'm not convinced by the latter, they look more like BR ones.

https://www.sankeyscenics.co.uk/oo-gauge-4mm/4551202445

https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Smiths_Components_for__OO__.html

https://tracksidesigns.co.uk/Die-Cut-Great-Western-Railway-Stat

That’s all that I could find too but I’m not keen on printed ones (personal preference)

I have a set of the trackside die cut but they are too big

Thank you for taking the time to have a look for me

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wizard 51L do a set of etched GWR station signs, from the old MSE range, no station master but porter etc. Ambis Engineering also have a set of station signs, but probably not accurate for GWR, but useful titles. Smiths also have an etched set of GWR signs, but only a few are directly applicable to a station location.

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2020 at 12:43, Nick C said:

No problem! I can find etched trackside signs (whistle boards, bridge weights etc), but not platform ones, which surprised me. Being a Southern modeller the real thing were enamel, so printed ones work for me!

Printed ones would have been okay if they were the right size

Although I will still use the posters etc

On 15/02/2020 at 13:13, Nick Holliday said:

Wizard 51L do a set of etched GWR station signs, from the old MSE range, no station master but porter etc. Ambis Engineering also have a set of station signs, but probably not accurate for GWR, but useful titles. Smiths also have an etched set of GWR signs, but only a few are directly applicable to a station location.

Thank you

I think I’ve created a rod for my own back by wanting specific signs at the  given size I have to play with

Period accuracy doesn’t bother me anymore, I’ve found in the past worrying about it stopped me dead in my tracks and in turn took away my enjoyment.....it’s a hobby after all

Of course I appreciate, respect, admire and envy those who model with period accuracy but for me I’m happy to model ‘GWR ish’.......close enough is enough for me as long as it gives the overall feel of a GWR inspired Railway (although later BR would have been so much easier)

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I walked into my layout room this morning and walked back out, the room is an absolute pigsty which has gotten me down a bit

Normally I put my stuff away after each session but the last two or three weeks I’ve not been bothered. I’m usually well organised but I can’t find anything and I’ve got no where to work now

Therefore before I do anything else I’m going to tidy up the cr@p hole that is my layout room

In the meantime (in an attempt to reignite my modellers mojo) I’ve reattached the removable section

D41A21F5-7CC2-4BB1-B5F3-C01C70CD5EDE.jpeg.65dfb6b8068ae29692c4a16fac63fe42.jpeg

This has reassured me that progress is being made even if it’s at a snails pace

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Try  not to be too hard on yourself Chris. Everything is looking great and you're making good progress. Every now and then I have to stop and tidy stuff up a bit, usually when something gets knocked over! And as Rowsley says, nothing can be found after! 

• Thanks 1

Hy Chris I've just had the same feelings in my hobby cabin in that every flat surface including the part built layout had bits & pieces all over them.

I bought another multi clear fronted container unit and started to store some of  my smaller bits in it.  I also use some of the lidded clear containers I've collected and stacked them along side and finally I'm in the process of noting it all in a database so I can cross reference anything when I can't find it. 

Each container has a sequential number and a couple of words for content description.

I'm doing this partly because when something goes missing or I just need them but can't find them I buy some more and then I go and place them down right next to the ones I couldn't find grrrrrr and it also is much more tidy.

I'm hoping that with all the clear containers the database need will become less and less but I will have it available.

Best

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

How about now?

That looks fine to me.

If the top of the chimney stack is higher than the top of the first floor window to the left (not visible in your photo) and more than a scale 10' from the roof apex above that window then I think it's all good.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

That looks fine to me.

If the top of the chimney stack is higher than the top of the first floor window to the left (not visible in your photo) and more than a scale 10' from the roof apex above that window then I think it's all good.

It scales at approx. 3ft-6" above the top of the first floor window (excluding chimney pot) and approx 17ft to the left of the apex

249165787_warrenstation.JPG.2fee38324c53295db919fc55f3bcca62.JPG

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Alister_G said:

That looks spot on, nicely in proportion.

Al.

Thanks Al

The picture in my mind looks something like this:-

1108178237_warrenstation2.JPG.761f7351da5a727e2b2ecbb2b257bc72.JPG

I'm a draughtsman, not an architect so it's not as pretty as an architects drawing...and its not a patch on @Harlequin's drawings

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7