• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2020 at 14:23, Gypsy said:

Looks brilliant Chris - are you going to make the fireplace (and doors) available to buy on Shapeways?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/E62R6T7LL/oo-gauge-fireplace-1-and-interior-doors-3?li=shareProduct

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UTPKFBZAF/oo-gauge-fireplace-2-and-interior-doors-6?optionId=151734990&li=shops

https://www.shapeways.com/product/U77TCQ7NM/fireplace?optionId=151738679&li=shops

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JQDZR9E8M/interior-panel-doors-4?optionId=151738431&li=shops

The prices are out of my control and they change daily depending on the euro to pound exchange rate.......sorry about that

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Waiting room benches are finished and I’ve made a little table for the station masters house, something for him to put his cuppa on while he’s taking a load off in his arm chair

125D45D3-167F-41B5-BA85-C35BBAD370CD.jpeg.d33833f9b2497ca1645ea627f6840a1e.jpeg

The table is simply a combination of styrene tube, rod and flat bar with the table top punched out of styrene sheet

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, sb67 said:

Looking great Chris, I can just imagine siting in that armchair with a cuppa and a box of Jaffa cakes, not sure if they were around then though!  

You're in luck, introduced by McVitie and Price in the UK in 1927

jaffa.JPG.916b0d9a0ec719b45a4facaadb3eeaa5.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I am concerned to think that might not be an example of photoshopping and you have actually modelled a packet of cakes.

Nothing surprises on this layout anymore.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

Something that I can't replicate in the cabs of my steam engines. Jaffa cakes tend to either melt or pick up a lot of coal dust. I can vouch that smokebox jacket spuds are a culinary delight though!

On topic I am really impressed with the lengths that you are going to with your buildings. I am in the midst of creating drawings for my station building, a much more modest timber affair. I wasn't going to model the interior, (only the signal cabin and locomotive shed) but this thread has changed my mind! (PS, Thanks, I hate you all...;))

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

..........I wasn't going to model the interior.........

Me neither it just sort of happened/evolved :blink:

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

(PS, Thanks, I hate you all...;))

You're welcome :jester:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Now I realise these are HO scale figures but personally I think they just look right

F4734D8B-7A0F-43DB-906A-64B61EB863E5.jpeg.1ece41c30fe5fed0aa2699d2aa08abe0.jpeg

I tried it with OO figures and it didn’t look right to me (not helped by making the benches too small)

8B19FA0A-6CEE-4861-A755-C6D92D32336A.jpeg.8e9f50d935e1dc7e5bb823b9f33cb308.jpeg

Personally I prefer the HO figures as it make the room look bigger, if that makes any sense?

Answers on a postcard to ‘you haven’t got a clue what you’re doing, PO Box...’

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I don't think anyone will notice the off-scale when they would need to faceplant the layout to see inside the station anyways...

that’s true, The modelscene figures are appear too big for OO anyway (in my opinion) they measure 23mm high whilst seated

And one of them looks like a not so nice bloke who was Austrian born

49D6F16B-93C3-4660-9BDF-7A76047B6D11.jpeg.15260a3270eefc8811f9bbc0da235d93.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Those benches with 4mm scale figures (00 and HO are gauges) remind me of the pews in my church, too short in the seat and the back and blooming uncomfortable.

The two on the right don’t look too bad but the lady on the left doesn’t look right at all unless I rotate her slightly?

231B0E2A-8225-4D4D-B418-DB3692DF2DF0.jpeg.c23744c1a3bea3a0ead87f18af90420b.jpeg

You can’t see all that much once the interior is in anyway although whatever I decided Hilter has no place at Warren!

9F86E6A7-12A4-47CF-A659-64CC10D5633C.jpeg.823fbb884691dc1ec940ff0b8565ce2d.jpeg

I do think that the lady in HO scale looks a bit too Victorian for the mid to late Thirties unfortunately

9562EE30-A05B-4614-AEAE-94BFE518DF75.jpeg.58b3a53b82c8a36e9722d33bdc61f802.jpeg

decisions, decisions 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I do think that the lady in HO scale looks a bit too Victorian for the mid to late Thirties

I think she looks OK. Not everyone would be in the height of fashion.

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

.....Not everyone would be in the height of fashion...

I’d not considered that

I am leaning towards using the HO figures, I’m just trying to justify using them :huh: Although I’m not sure who I’m trying to convince :rolleyes:

I’m going to leave putting glue on anyone’s ar*es until tomorrow because if I do it now I’ll have changed my mind by the morning :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’d not considered that

I am leaning towards using the HO figures, I’m just trying to justify using them :huh: Although I’m not sure who I’m trying to convince :rolleyes:

I’m going to leave putting glue on anyone’s ar*es until tomorrow because if I do it now I’ll have changed my mind by the morning :lol:

I agree Chris. I would add that they'd look better if you could shave a bit off the bottom of the benches so that the figures' feet are on the floor...

• Thanks 1

Sometimes items that are technically underscale help with a sense of size and distance if carefully placed. Your HO figures won't look out of place inside the building even with OO 4mm figures on the platform because there is a scenic divide. On my previous layout, there was a dirt road that went under the line and climbed up towards the backscene, it dipped away sharply before hitting the painted hardboard to help disguise the dead end, further helped by stands of trees. I still wasn't happy with it and stood a small Austin truck on the rise in front of the backscene to further disguise things. It actually looked out of scale and emphasized the fact that the world had an "edge". I replaced it with an old HO scale plastic kit of a Ford model A pickup and that actually helped give a sense of distance. This was because it was the only thing that the eye could see that the mind could put a known size to, the trees and hillside could have been any size. If there had been a 4mm figure standing next to it, it would have been obviously under scale, but it worked better than true scale within the constraints of its immediate environment. If that makes sense?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I agree Chris. I would add that they'd look better if you could shave a bit off the bottom of the benches so that the figures' feet are on the floor...

thank you for your advice

I’ve cut 1mm off the base of the bench and feet are no longer hovering

E73F3DB0-8AD2-4475-BA74-44FF6D3CAE34.jpeg.48ea0aeb6c9f7309fb7194e7394efb63.jpeg

Looks much better, thank you

• Like 8

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

that’s true, The modelscene figures are appear too big for OO anyway (in my opinion) they measure 23mm high whilst seated

And one of them looks like a not so nice bloke who was Austrian born

49D6F16B-93C3-4660-9BDF-7A76047B6D11.jpeg.15260a3270eefc8811f9bbc0da235d93.jpeg

Looks more like Danny Trejo than Uncle Adolf to me, maybe you should lengthen his moustache and make him a scale machete (roughly 11mm long)

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of period male figures have inappropriately long hair? It's like watching a 1960s war film :rolleyes:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I'd stick with the HO figures you've got - IMO they look entirely in proportion to the rest of the room.

Also don't forget that folks 100 years ago were shorter than the present generation - probably to do with the living & working conditions and the food (or lack there-of).

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Looks more like Danny Trejo than Uncle Adolf to me, maybe you should lengthen his moustache

But did you ever expect them to be together in the same room?

77340960_HitlerandMachette.JPG.5cf0d828f02bdda363d0f181b6379fa3.JPG

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3