• RMweb Gold

Is it too late to say I don’t like wiring :lol: and they are just the droppers, I’ve got the point motors to do yet :wacko:

I imagine I’ve gone too far soldering droppers on every single separate length of track but I’ve been advised not to rely on fishplates

on the the plus side my soldering is getting much, much better so at least I’ve learnt a new skill :)

D5D85217-1145-42BA-B1C5-93DC27EC4961.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

That’s it for today, all the track I needed to put in place before making the cut across the baseboard join is now glued/gluing in place.

A bit of wiring and testing tomorrow I think and then I’ll take the plunge and cut the track across the joint :unsure:

234C2E08-69BF-4D3F-89AC-E75A89AD260E.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Harlequin said:

One of my cats thinks that glued-down trackwork is the best scratching surface she's ever been given!...

She rips it up and I glue it back down again.

Luckily our dog can’t be ar$ed to do anything like that

6DBC9789-442A-4847-860B-87E5715002F2.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Looking super tidy as usual Chris.

Thanks Martin

Another shed load of soldering to do plus modifications to the small Y point

In previous postings on the planning thread @Harlequin suggested changing out the Y point for a LH point which I thought was a great idea

However after laying out both variations on the base board I decided to go with the Y point in the end as it seams to 'flow' better than having the LH point

To justify using the Y point I'm either going to cut out or build up the triangular section and contour to landscape to give a reason for the track following the path it does........if that makes sense?

landscape.PNG

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

I don't think you need justification for a short siding there. It seems the perfect place for an arriving goods train to leave its brake van before it shunts its train. I tend to design in brake van roads when I am planning.

EDIT: I just noticed the siding that is nearest the canal has no road vehicle access except across the other track which isn't desirable. I would suggest you clear away the last length of the hedge that abuts the front left corner of the goods shed (you tend not to see undergrowth around goods sheds for the very reason of necessary access) and make a short narrow cart road run down the siding's canal edge. This may require the railway boundary to impede on the canal property boundary more than it does, but if the towpath is on the viewing side there would be no land owned on the far side of the canal by the canal company anyway and as its such a tiny strip I doubt it would be of much use to the farmer, so most likely it'd be railway property by this point (assuming the canal was built before the railway that is).

EDIT TWO: Here's a suggestion. Two things. First if the road from the goods yard goes up over a canal tunnel entrance you can make the gradient more interesting by starting the slope to the bottom right of the goods shed. This will necessitate a retaining wall and gives a nice little area "A" to do some extra modelling such as huts, junk, waiting horses and carts, etc. Second the siding nearest the canal lends itself, I think, to be a coal siding. If you do this it means dirty coal gets handled well away from both passengers and the goods shed which is very sensible and the siding between goods shed road and the LC can now be used for dry goods like timber, crates, vans, etc. I have suggested some coal bins with area "B" being potential for a nice clutter of coal merchants offices.

Suggestion.png.e31a394bc8f567bd5834f39a5c27535b.png

Edited by Martin S-C
EDIT: Canal siding suggestions.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

I don't think you need justification for a short siding there. It seems the perfect place for an arriving goods train to leave its brake van before it shunts its train. I tend to design in brake van roads when I am planning.

EDIT: I just noticed the siding that is nearest the canal has no road vehicle access except across the other track which isn't desirable. I would suggest you clear away the last length of the hedge that abuts the front left corner of the goods shed (you tend not to see undergrowth around goods sheds for the very reason of necessary access) and make a short narrow cart road run down the siding's canal edge. This may require the railway boundary to impede on the canal property boundary more than it does, but if the towpath is on the viewing side there would be no land owned on the far side of the canal by the canal company anyway and as its such a tiny strip I doubt it would be of much use to the farmer, so most likely it'd be railway property by this point (assuming the canal was built before the railway that is).

The siding is indeed for picking up and dropping off brake vans

As far as the road to the goods shed I went a bit mad with the shrubbery "Ni"

I just put them there to disguise the straight lines and curves (drawn in CAD) I'll more than likely put a fence up there so as not to obscure the view. In reality access to the shed will be clear and open to road vehicles

Although its drawn with straight lines and curves I'm still undecided whether the body of water will be a canal or a stream, I just fancied having a road bridge over water

The water is only 50mm lower then the track bed so if I do decide to go with a canal I my just have a track down to the tow path

landscape2.PNG

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

EDIT TWO: Here's a suggestion. Two things. First if the road from the goods yard goes up over a canal tunnel entrance you can make the gradient more interesting by starting the slope to the bottom right of the goods shed. This will necessitate a retaining wall and gives a nice little area "A" to do some extra modelling such as huts, junk, waiting horses and carts, etc. Second the siding nearest the canal lends itself, I think, to be a coal siding. If you do this it means dirty coal gets handled well away from both passengers and the goods shed which is very sensible and the siding between goods shed road and the LC can now be used for dry goods like timber, crates, vans, etc. I have suggested some coal bins with area "B" being potential for a nice clutter of coal merchants offices.

Suggestion.png.e31a394bc8f567bd5834f39a5c27535b.png

Hmmmm, definately giving me food for thought

I'm going to use a 'hump' bridge over the water so I could adjust the level to give a slightly steeper slope

I'm liking the idea of the road along the lower track 

Thanks Martin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Your thoughts?

landscape3.PNG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I suggest you put as much distance between the coal bins and the goods shed as the scene will comfortably allow. Always wise to keep the dirty gritty stuff away from the parcels, barrels, food and drink!

Thanks @Martin S-C

How about this?

Seems to lend it self more towards a stream too.....maybe?

landscape4.PNG

landscape5.PNG

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

That works. I prefer the first one. It has also struck me that what we are now calling the brake van road is well sited, if shortened a few inches, to have an end-loading dock at the end. Good access to the road. It can still hold a brake van or two plus a CCT/MOGO or open carriage truck.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Or, shorten the nearest siding to use for guards vans, leaving more roadside access to the goods shed line and as suggested use the further short siding as end loading.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Or, shorten the nearest siding to use for guards vans, leaving more roadside access to the goods shed line and as suggested use the further short siding as end loading.

I’d not thought of that, I’ll have to have a play around and see what it looks like

Following a ‘low mojo’ spell a few months ago I am now feeling better in myself, especially as it’s starting to look like a layout (it was meant to be therapeutic in the first place)

Looking back at the start of the separate planning thread the layout is evolving quite nicely

As always thank you to all who continue to contribute with help and suggestions, even though I don’t always fully understand or go with the suggestions please be assured that everyone’s help and support is appreciated

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Playing about with Track on the board usually gets better results than just drawing on paper, I ALWAYS end up re planning certain areas, corners, sidings etc for a better visual scene or working practice.

Keep the Mojo going Chris, It's looking good.:good:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

You can’t have too many Panniers!

I was a little disappointed in my 18 year old son who asked why I had three of the same locos, he should know better!

He does of course and was taking the proverbial, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree

B5FADAA8-681F-4D53-BBA6-977057E80DCC.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Not the best photo ever taken, particularly as 6407 although weathered heavier than the other two is in shadow and looks almost black :rolleyes:

I obviously need to work on my photography although it will never be anywhere near as good as @KNP’s photos

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’d not thought of that, I’ll have to have a play around and see what it looks like

Following a ‘low mojo’ spell a few months ago I am now feeling better in myself, especially as it’s starting to look like a layout (it was meant to be therapeutic in the first place)

Looking back at the start of the separate planning thread the layout is evolving quite nicely

As always thank you to all who continue to contribute with help and suggestions, even though I don’t always fully understand or go with the suggestions please be assured that everyone’s help and support is appreciated

Chris

Chris,

You're doing a great job here. Your work is so neat and I am really enjoying following the build.

I am really pleased that you are feeling better too and hopefully your progress, and the positive comments you are receiving here, will be of encouragement and will spur you on. You are doing a great job and I am pleased you are finding the project theraputic. Remember there might be some low days but the trajectory is upwards and the layout is looking cracking!

Keep sharing.

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

That works. I prefer the first one. It has also struck me that what we are now calling the brake van road is well sited, if shortened a few inches, to have an end-loading dock at the end. Good access to the road. It can still hold a brake van or two plus a CCT/MOGO or open carriage truck.

13 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

What about a cattle dock instead or a combined cattle dock and end loading dock

Would that work?

LOADING DOCK.PNG

Perfect excuse to get a couple of cattle wagons and MOGO wagons

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4