2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Away from the quads, I’ve been making progress on the J69. I’ve now added all the detail although some of it broke in my clumsy hands and needed glueing back together. I went for brass for the handrails rather than the 3D printed ones.

Here she is ready for final priming. The white is where I had to fill the deeper diagonal lines.

And here she is ready for the top coat.

Looking great Andy, certainly making a cracking job of this sir fantastic stuff! 

Do you want me to see if i have a spare filler cap for the on the left? i may well do as i printed a few of these fiddly out!

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, woko said:

Looking great Andy, certainly making a cracking job of this sir fantastic stuff! 

Do you want me to see if i have a spare filler cap for the on the left? i may well do as i printed a few of these fiddly out!

I didn’t know I was missing one! But if I am then yes please. I only seemed to have one vac pipe. Is that correct?

2 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I didn’t know I was missing one! But if I am then yes please. I only seemed to have one vac pipe. Is that correct?

No you need two vac pipes, i will see if i have a spare kicking about, no i saw your filler cap was broken, so i have a spare already cut from the supports ready to replace that broken one if you want?

• RMweb Premium

Progress on the J69 over the last few days with it now nearing completion. I found it hard to work out what the lining should look like as Yeadon says they were lined red until 1928 but all the photos are B&W where the red doesn’t show up! So I thought I’d show some pictures on here before I seal the transfers in with matt lacquer to see if anyone spots any glaring errors. Please excuse the Halloween background!

F36FB8CC-387A-46FF-8319-61C06AABCB4A.jpeg.9fdb9850b191014870d4e35d819008dd.jpeg

35E552DA-5655-450E-8610-97D05D87ADC3.jpeg.70cdd67154764cbe3b8f8a72558d5574.jpeg

4FE60C00-D5E6-4AAE-BAF3-130A95AC3E33.jpeg.ada389487be37449fdd72825fc15bc42.jpeg

9D9749A1-BA37-4975-8C25-6D03E9F8BAED.jpeg.2dbb18a778c722ab036aa35118df24c2.jpegI also used this as a guinea pig for my new bow pen. So I lined the left side with transfers and the right side with the bow pen. I clearly need more practice but I’m quite pleased for a first attempt and it’s certainly quicker than the transfers.

Any comments welcome.

Andy

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Are they gold letters, Andy?

Yes, a sort of goldy yellow colour. They are from Fox sheet 7302/3 https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/lner-loco-earlier-lettering-numbering-61562 which is described as early LNER loco lettering-numbering. They are more gold than the later yellow numbers.  Have I got it wrong (for c.1925) ?

Andy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

They should be yellow on a black loco.   I'd have said they were wrong, but you might have known something I didn't.

Nice contemporary picture here (quarter of the way down the page) showing more what I'd expect.

Jonathan,

I’d have said the H2 in that picture looks similar to my transfers while the D11 behind looks more yellow. Fox sell a later LNER black sheet https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/lner-later-lettering-numbering-for-black-locos-61486 which is yellow. So I thought mine were correct for 1920s with the yellow for after the economy drive of 1928…when my J69 would have been unlined anyway.

I may well be wrong and if you’re sure I’ll have to change my numbering. But that might wait for the next loco as I don’t fancy ripping all the numbering off!

Thanks for the comments.

Andy

The "early" small LNER Gold transfers are for Green Locos, where the LNER and numbers were all fitted on the Tender.

The Yellow small version (if they do any),  are for all Black LNER Tanks 1923 -1948  and again on Tender Engines  from 1928 . Large decals are for all Black LNER Tender engines from 1928.

Sadly  the Fox description/listing, is very misleading at best.

I personally prefer HMRS LNER versions at about half the Fox price , sadly again when you can find any, HMRS are having supply problems I believe.

If you are lucky the correct colour should be the same size as the Gold version ,simply  place them on top.

Edited by micklner

Interesting information about the lettering colour. The LNER  do come over as rather stingy!

Have to say Andy, if it were mine I'd keep as is, although it's wrong, as the gold looks rather smart with the lined black. Any way you can pretend it's a depot "pet" and received special treatment, like the Liverpool St. pilots used to do? You wouldn't even have to do the varnishing then!!

John.

P.S. In answer to Micklner, yes HMRS are having some issues. You can't get Pressfix sheet 14 in 4mm anywhere, yet this is the basis for BR loco and coach numbers and insignia for the 1948 - 66 period, as core as it gets one might have thought.

Edited by John Tomlinson
Added P.S.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I recognise that HMRS are better value but I don’t really get in with pressfix/ methfix. I much prefer being able to juggle things around with waterslide decals.

Thanks for the comments on the lettering. I’m going to stick with gold for this one but will order some different transfers fir next time. Are these the correct ones to use?

https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/lner-earlier-lettering-numbering-for-black-locos-61249

Andy

7 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Are these the correct ones to use?

No.  Not if they're gold as the description suggests.   That's downright misleading by Fox.   Yellow transfers for black locos, gold for green.  

Edit - I have been in touch with them to warn that that description is wrong.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

No.  Not if they're gold as the description suggests.   That's downright misleading by Fox.   Yellow transfers for black locos, gold for green.  

Edit - I have been in touch with them to warn that that description is wrong.

OK, so it’s these?

https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/lner-later-lettering-numbering-for-black-locos-61486

If so that is very confusing and I can’t be the only one to make that mistake!

Regards

Andy

Not them , they do no have the small LNER lettering for Tank Engines thereon.

Re HMRS , I also thought the same re lining up etc.

I only use Pressfix, I find Methfix a real PIA,  position roughly in place , always use a steel rule to line them up, only then add water. You can still move them slightly with a wooden Cocktail stick if needed, afterwards.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, micklner said:

Not them , they do no have the small LNER lettering for Tank Engines thereon.

Re HMRS , I also thought the same re lining up etc.

I only use Pressfix, I find Methfix a real PIA,  position roughly in place , always use a steel rule to line them up, only then add water. You can still move them slightly with a wooden Cocktail stick if needed, afterwards.

Agree completely re. Pressfix, the first time you use them it seems impossible, but then you get the hang of it. The glue is quite tenacious when dry, and will hold lining on Kirk beading in 4mm for example.

I do from time to time mess up however, get something not straight or misaligned, or else my prodding with a cocktail stick is just too much and it breaks. They're cheap enough, and there's enough on a sheet, to remove and do again - not something to be said for some other brands.

They also function as an eye test. Some while ago I used to be able to make up the BR wagon numbers in 4mm, sadly now in my mid '60's I fear this is getting beyond me!

John.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The J69 is now finished. I haven't replaced the decals so sorry if that offends you but for me it isn’t too evident especially now it’s under some light weathering.

1486E8BA-D147-4AAB-907A-D86581003054.jpeg.bf8c4b76ddbcc6056c31d8fb6e78f32d.jpeg

849470AB-89D9-444A-B24E-C099C2806978.jpeg.4e88081cda155eb7e44ba0c783b375bb.jpeg

D0CEB799-D0B4-455B-B0AF-FCD1F3C41BB0.jpeg.20b68009831341275cae90f2758b95bb.jpeg

EA30D447-2D43-4202-B823-826D6DD761C5.jpeg.cbc8e57423a18aa87abd61b6eddefb87.jpeg

I’m pleased with the way she’s turned out and special thanks to Rob ( @woko )for providing me with a set of 3D printed parts. I had her running at the club last night with full sound and firebox flicker which got some favourable comments.

Andy

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

31 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

The J69 is now finished. I haven't replaced the decals so sorry if that offends you but for me it isn’t too evident especially now it’s under some light weathering.

I’m pleased with the way she’s turned out and special thanks to Rob ( @woko )for providing me with a set of 3D printed parts. I had her running at the club last night with full sound and firebox flicker which got some favourable comments.

Andy

Looked fantastic running last night at the club, especially enjoyed the sound on this little loco, works a treat, along with the light up firebox all lovely touches. I need to finish my one now! And then get cracking on the N7 and 6 and 4 wheel coaches for it to pull.

Well done chap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve finally just about finished my isinglass ex GNR, BCL which I think has turned out pretty well.

DE78F3FB-63C4-47B8-A6D8-F82FFF36593F.jpeg.9306ed82be4c1ca5b98cc2cac4e6018c.jpeg

26CEAA94-43A1-42C7-8C8C-9B4EF45384A6.jpeg.d777afeff6240a5ad142e0624cc129a3.jpeg

This will run with my Ivatt Atlantic on a KX outer suburban c.1948. One thing I suspect I’ve got wrong is the teak ends. Having painted them I’m loathed to cover them in black. Does anyone know of precedents for outer suburban stock retaining teak ends post 1928.

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1