20 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I've not heard of Master Models - do they have a web presence?

Master class models, that's it. I don't know much about them or Chris. A friend or mine purchased two twins and I went in on a third twin some years back. My friend never built his so I purchased a second twin from him and his remaining one was sold to another RM web member who models the GN lines around Nottingham. My original is the built model above, the second twin, when constructed, will form a set for western division carriage working number 100.

Edited by Headstock
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Headstock said:

I may be mistaken about the four compartment BT, I thought they did one in the past.

With regard to the dia 210 and their allocation to Basford . I'm doing the Master models kit, it is really the Bees knees as far as these carriages are concerned, with all the important parts supplied and integrated with MJT components to complete. Pictured below in experimental 1948 Banana and raspberry livery, or alternatively the base coat for teak.

Dia 210 teak under paint.jpg

Andrew,

That certainly looks the Bees Knees! I’ll have to track down Master Class Models as I’d never heard of them, although I do remember the article in MRJ a few years ago. I suspect I’ve missed the boat on this one, and anyway, having invested the time and money in getting so far on my model, I’m not going to start again with a new kit. I’ll be interested to see what else they do.

I’m particularly interested in building some of the Gresley steel panelled artic twins to d.309/313/322, but I’m not aware of any kits or sides for these. I think I’ve worked out a way forward for the d.309, but the others are in the too difficult box at present. Have you ever heard of kits for these?

Regards

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A long time since my last post, but I haven't been idle. It's just my normal problem of lots of projects started, but none finished...until today.

This is my latest 1957 Mark 1 prototype. It's a Doncaster SK, number E25457. This was a more spacious version of the standard SK with only 7 compartments and a toilet each end. AFAIK there is no kit available, so I based mine on a Replica Mark 1 FO which had the correct window spacing on the compartment side, and just needed the toilet windows filing in on the corridor side (thanks to Brian Kirby for this suggestion). I happened to have one in the spares box, bought before Hornby brought their version out and it made more sense to cut this up rather than cutting into a new Hornby coach. The process was:

• Strip detail off Replica sides
  • Fill toilet windows on one side with plasticard behind and green squadron filler 
  • Move vents on roof to match my best guess from the picture I have - p113 of Parkin Mk 1 book
  • paint sides with Ford Burgundy red rattle can.
  • Add decals
  • Spray with Testors dullcote to seal decals
  • Paint roof with Precision roof dirt
  • Add Replica flush glazing
  • Add door furniture (MJT)
  • Craft interior from bits of old Hornby mark 1 SK and paint
  • 'Glue on Bachmann Mk 1 bogie mounting point and use Bachmann Mark1 bogies (there were none with my Replica body)

It will form part of my 1959 White Rose formation (on which it was a regular). I think it will fit in OK with modern Hornby or Bachmann Mark 1s.

1621917793_Mk1prototypeE254572.JPG.e06a95b65398e07416fdf5d8c494e895.JPG

5237171_Mk1PrototypeE25457.jpg.03f9479efedc600379ddee179174cb83.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I finally managed to finished another two coaches yesterday.... it had to be two because they're a twin! These have been on the go for about 18 months, so it's good to have them off the workbench. 

677517488_TwinSLF1.jpg.b1ddfb357b65dda79edc1a7a8e1a8224.jpg1772195708_TwinSLF2.jpg.3a287733535b7c3d12d731c161ae6f5f.jpg

They are of course a Gresley Diag 18/19 Twin SLF. This is based on Mousa sides grafted onto a pair of Hornby Railroads as donors. Underframe is a mix of MJT, Kirk and scratchbuilt (the trussing) parts with MJT heavy duty bogies. Just about the only things left from the donors are the roof, ends and solebar, and If I was doing this again, I would probably use new Hornby Sleepers as donors, as you would get much more of use on the underframe including Hornby's attempt at HD bogies if you can live with them. 

They will form part of my rake of the 1958 Night Scotsman, but I need to finish off a couple of 66' Gresley D.157 Sleepers before I can put that together.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another couple of coaches off the production line. This time it's a Thompson FO produced from Southern Pride sides on a Bachmann donor. This is one of the four started back in May (see my post of 4th May). The RK is already finished and I showed some pictures on the Peterborough North thread. This will form a pair with the RK or a triplet with an SO as well.

878F5C60-6314-4079-98F4-8F619ED32CCC.jpeg.4bd0444c2482667a1c330c95ee9fe21d.jpeg

I envisage it forming part of a few services, but initially it will enable me to complete the 1410 King's Cross-York/Hull from 1959.  

The other coach is a Mark 1 prototype FO, E3083. This was a one off built in 1957 and has a very distinctive window arrangements. The seats all swivel to allow the passenger to face forward. The original is preserved on the Severn Valley Railway where it is a regular performer. The model is built from Southern Pride pre-printed sides on a old Hornby Mark 1 (the sort with the two screws in the bottom to hold the roof on). The Southern Pride sides clip into this chassis with no modification so it's a really easy conversion. Southern Pride sell a kit to create the interior which makes that easy as well. This has been in my 'almost finished' pile for a couple of years, but finishing the RK/FO pair gave me an incentive to finish it off as it was allocated to the 1410 King's Cross-York/Hull in 1959.

4E7D96A2-B97D-488A-B342-D4C59F1F46F5.jpeg.efdb8661561117511b8ee6a91697ae05.jpeg

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
Adding photos
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Here is a short video of the complete formation of the 1410 King's Cross - York/Hull in action crossing my take on Digswell viaduct (about half the correct height and 1/3 the length!). The formation was:

BSO, TSO, SK, FO (E3083), TSO, RK, FO, FK, BSO, SK, TSO, BSK (all mark 1 except for the Thompson RK/FO).

Thanks to Robert Carroll for the carriage workings. All the mark 1's are Hornby or Bachmann expect for E3083 and the Crimson/ Cream BSO which is made from Southern Pride sides in the same way as E3083. 

The telephoto on the camcorder makes me realise how wonky some of the viaduct is. I must put that on the winter renovations list.

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2019 at 13:27, Headstock said:

I may be mistaken about the four compartment BT, I thought they did one in the past.

With regard to the dia 210 and their allocation to Basford . I'm doing the Master models kit, it is really the Bees knees as far as these carriages are concerned, with all the important parts supplied and integrated with MJT components to complete. Pictured below in experimental 1948 Banana and raspberry livery, or alternatively the base coat for teak.

Dia 210 teak under paint.jpg

Hi Andrew,

I’ve got to the underframe fittings stage on my d.210 now, but I’m struggling to find a picture or diagram which shows what went where. You seem to have battery boxes on both sides whereas I thought these twin arts often had them one per coach on alternate sides. Also you seem to have four sets of vacuum equipment whereas I would have expected three in total - one per bogie. I could have got this completely wrong, but do you have any sort of diagram as a basis for what you have done?

Regards

Andy

On 10/08/2019 at 19:31, thegreenhowards said:

Hi Andrew,

I’ve got to the underframe fittings stage on my d.210 now, but I’m struggling to find a picture or diagram which shows what went where. You seem to have battery boxes on both sides whereas I thought these twin arts often had them one per coach on alternate sides. Also you seem to have four sets of vacuum equipment whereas I would have expected three in total - one per bogie. I could have got this completely wrong, but do you have any sort of diagram as a basis for what you have done?

Regards

Andy

Andy,

sorry for the late reply, I've been away from railway modelling for some time. The photo is well out of date, the kit  provides location and parts for four vac brake gear locations, possibly because it can be used to build a couple of different diagrams. I added all four, then realised I only needed three and corrected them.

The battery boxes were on one side only, as shown in the photo, though there was an accumulator box on the other side. As far as I can see from photographs, this was on the brake carriage at the van end and outside of the queen posts, it is possible that the composite had one but I could not discern this. The Isinglass drawing shows  battery boxes on both sides of the brake carriage but not the composite, a feature not there in photographs, at least not on my carriages in the area and era that I am modelling

The Isinglass drawing also shows the panels either side of the toilet windows to be subdivided by vertical beading. The photographs show that there was just one large panel either side of the toilets, the kit has this right. Perhaps this reflects differences in batches but I've only studied those on the Nottingham circuits.

I hope that this is of help, I shall try and take some photographs of the finished twin.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Headstock said:

Andy,

sorry for the late reply, I've been away from railway modelling for some time. The photo is well out of date, the kit  provides location and parts for four vac brake gear locations, possibly because it can be used to build a couple of different diagrams. I added all four, then realised I only needed three and corrected them.

The battery boxes were on one side only, as shown in the photo, though there was an accumulator box on the other side. As far as I can see from photographs, this was on the brake carriage at the van end and outside of the queen posts, it is possible that the composite had one but I could not discern this. The Isinglass drawing shows  battery boxes on both sides of the brake carriage but not the composite, a feature not there in photographs, at least not on my carriages in the area and era that I am modelling

The Isinglass drawing also shows the panels either side of the toilet windows to be subdivided by vertical beading. The photographs show that there was just one large panel either side of the toilets, the kit has this right. Perhaps this reflects differences in batches but I've only studied those on the Nottingham circuits.

I hope that this is of help, I shall try and take some photographs of the finished twin.

Thanks Andrew,

I’d more or less drawn the same conclusion on the underframe except I wasn’t aware of the accumulator box (or what one looks like so a photo of that side of your finished twin would be very useful).

The Harris diagram and my Mousa sides have the panels either side of the toilet windows subdivided, but I agree that the photos I can find don’t seem to show such subdivisions. I don’t really fancy trying to remove them, so I think I’ll assume that the diagram is right for at least a few of the twins (unless anyone can suggest a good way of grinding off brass and getting the remaining panel smooth).

I'll put a picture up once I’ve got to the ready to paint stage - hopefully pretty soon.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Andrew,

Many thanks for the photo. The. Accumulator box look similar to a Comet LNER battery box, so I may use one of them (they’re no use as battery boxes after all!). 

Your teak looks superb (as we’ve come to expect).

Andy

3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Andrew,

Many thanks for the photo. The. Accumulator box look similar to a Comet LNER battery box, so I may use one of them (they’re no use as battery boxes after all!). 

Your teak looks superb (as we’ve come to expect).

Andy

Evening Andy,

Yes, it was a similar kind of box and door, just smaller. Comet, Hornby or who ever will do, chopped up with a few scratch additions. Looking at photographs tonight (I only have two from that side and typicaly loads from the other) I can't see any other boxes on the composite other than the battery box mounted between the queen posts.

Your 14.10 pm off K X looks very swish and stately, do you bull up or varnish your RTR MK1's to match the posh stuff?

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Andy,

Yes, it was a similar kind of box and door, just smaller. Comet, Hornby or who ever will do, chopped up with a few scratch additions. Looking at photographs tonight (I only have two from that side and typicaly loads from the other) I can't see any other boxes on the composite other than the battery box mounted between the queen posts.

Your 14.10 pm off K X looks very swish and stately, do you bull up or varnish your RTR MK1's to match the posh stuff?

I don’t do much to the RTR mark 1s I’m afraid. Just underframe (and sometimes roof) weathering, corridor connectors and carriage boards. The two southern pride ones are shinier because they come with glossy pre-printed sides, and the third vehicle is a renumbered SK which had a bit of varnish after renumbering to hide the new number. It does create quite a mixed train in terms of finish, which I try to convince myself would be prototypical because of varying times out of works, but that’s probably wishful thinking! Maybe I should varnish the others.

I’m sorry for the indifferent quality of the video. I spent some time with my uncle (who had lent me the camcorder) at the weekend trying to improve the sharpness and we’ve decided that an iPhone takes better videos and that light is critical. So I have an LED floodlight and iPhone tripod mount on order from Amazon and will post the results soon.

12 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Andrew, what do you use to make the rain deflectors above the doors?

Evening  Jonathan,

it's just microstrip. Being an MJT roof, I probably laminated two bits and then filed back to the existing cornice.

7 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I don’t do much to the RTR mark 1s I’m afraid. Just underframe (and sometimes roof) weathering, corridor connectors and carriage boards. The two southern pride ones are shinier because they come with glossy pre-printed sides, and the third vehicle is a renumbered SK which had a bit of varnish after renumbering to hide the new number. It does create quite a mixed train in terms of finish, which I try to convince myself would be prototypical because of varying times out of works, but that’s probably wishful thinking! Maybe I should varnish the others.

I’m sorry for the indifferent quality of the video. I spent some time with my uncle (who had lent me the camcorder) at the weekend trying to improve the sharpness and we’ve decided that an iPhone takes better videos and that light is critical. So I have an LED floodlight and iPhone tripod mount on order from Amazon and will post the results soon.

Andy,

It must be the glint of the glazing that gives the impression as the train sweeps by. Variation in stock is an interesting one, dependent on the individual trains and type of stock, but most importantly the story you are trying to tell.

No need to apologies for the quality of the video, It is somewhat more advanced than my own non existent efforts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It has taken longer than I'd hoped, but the D.210 is finally just about ready for the paintshop. Andrew, thanks for the tip on the accumulator box. I used what I think is Bachmann's take on one off one of their new BCKs. I attach some photos. Any comments welcome - particularly before I paint it! For those interested I used the following parts:

• Sides - Mousa
  • Ends - 247 (CL) and Comet (BS)
  • Roof - MJT
  • Bogies - 247 3 step for the ends. MJT Heavy duty for the articulated one with one of their articulation units which I like.
  • Floor - copper clad from Hobby Holidays
  • Solebars - Albion Alloys 3x1 section
  • Underframe - MJT (+ Bachmann box as above)
  • Torpedo vents - Mike Trice 3D printed
  • Rain strip - plastruct strip

Andy

IMG_1673.jpg.3d18d99663fedb03332646646b99cd42.jpgIMG_1674.jpg.53931cd8f245347f83154c4664be4d92.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg.4c550e3f4b816200613bec802023b755.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg.087d3e1103173f085eb26f46791c33f4.jpg

typos
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

15 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

It has taken longer than I'd hoped, but the D.210 is finally just about ready for the paintshop. Andrew, thanks for the tip on the accumulator box. I used what I think is Bachmann's take on one off one of their new BCKs. I attach some photos. Any comments welcome - particularly before I paint it! For those interested I used the following parts:

• Sides - Mousa
  • Roof - MJT
  • Bogies - 247 3 step for the ends. MJT Heavy duty for the articulated one with one of their articulation units which I like.

Andy

IMG_1673.jpg.3d18d99663fedb03332646646b99cd42.jpgIMG_1674.jpg.53931cd8f245347f83154c4664be4d92.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg.4c550e3f4b816200613bec802023b755.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg.087d3e1103173f085eb26f46791c33f4.jpg

Looking good. Which train is that going to be rostered in..

16 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

• Sides - Mousa
  • Roof - MJT

Andy

Afternoon Andy,

That looks really good, creative thinking to get what you want is a great thing in the hobby these days. I found that there is a lot more work in the 210 twin than you would think. It's the fact that they are all compartments that adds a lot of the extra work in my opinion, non corridor stock always seems to take me longer to build. I've just received a lovely set of etches this morning from Mr Bedford, a 60' GC BT (7) for one of the non gangway three sets, nee five sets, should I start a thread?

Since you asked and before you paint, I cheekly reply. How about the train alarm gear on the brake end, the vac and steam heat pipes and the lamp brackets, it is the most visible end. I would defiantly have a look at the T vents on the roof of the compo. Vent five from the articulated end should be a water filler as should vent seven from the other end. I would also consider fitting the prominent straps (dead easy) that anchor the battery boxes to the solebar. It would probably work better if the battery box was to be set much further back from the trussing, I think it was about a foot away on the real thing.

One thing that I think would be worth looking at on future projects is the position of the angle iron cross trussing. It looks like you have it at the back of the queen posts. It actually sits on top of the longitudinal angle iron. It is in the right angle joint between the longitudinal angle iron and the queen post. This is so that it can form part of the support for the battery box.

I would recheck some of the positions of your v hangers and vac cylinders, that on the compo looks correct, tight up against the angle iron. As far as I can see from photographs they were all bolted to the solebars immediately behind the cylinder for the vac reservoir . The dynamo on the compo should definitely be on the left side as you look at the  underframe in photo four, I think that the others are okay. I include an image if non of the above is clear.

LNER battery box angle iron v hanger and strapping.jpg

Edited by Headstock
change from photo three to four
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2019 at 15:40, Headstock said:

I've just received a lovely set of etches this morning from Mr Bedford, a 60' GC BT (7) for one of the non gangway three sets, nee five sets, should I start a thread?

Andrew,

A thread of one of your builds would be a 'must read'. So, if you are prepared to share the build with others then yes please...start a thread. For me, there were three reasons to start 'Coulsdon Works':

• To share what I've been doing with friends and anyone interested. I can just send a link to the thread which is an easy way of sharing it.
  • To gain constructive criticism from people like your good self to enable me to improve my modelling. The help I've had from you and Jonathan in particular has been very welcome. Given your expertise, I suspect this would be less useful for you, but you never know when you might pick something useful up.
  • To create a record of what I've been up to.

I used to occasionally post progress on 'Wright Writes', but I didn't want to hog Tony's thread. This way, I can put up a finished article on there and direct interested people to my thread for more details.

I look forward to 'following you'!

Andy

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2019 at 15:40, Headstock said:

Since you asked and before you paint, I cheekly reply. How about the train alarm gear on the brake end, the vac and steam heat pipes and the lamp brackets, it is the most visible end. I would defiantly have a look at the T vents on the roof of the compo. Vent five from the articulated end should be a water filler as should vent seven from the other end. I would also consider fitting the prominent straps (dead easy) that anchor the battery boxes to the solebar. It would probably work better if the battery box was to be set much further back from the trussing, I think it was about a foot away on the real thing.

One thing that I think would be worth looking at on future projects is the position of the angle iron cross trussing. It looks like you have it at the back of the queen posts. It actually sits on top of the longitudinal angle iron. It is in the right angle joint between the longitudinal angle iron and the queen post. This is so that it can form part of the support for the battery box.

I would recheck some of the positions of your v hangers and vac cylinders, that on the compo looks correct, tight up against the angle iron. As far as I can see from photographs they were all bolted to the solebars immediately behind the cylinder for the vac reservoir . The dynamo on the compo should definitely be on the left side as you look at the  underframe in photo four, I think that the others are okay. I include an image if non of the above is clear.

Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to make these comments; they are exactly the sort of thing that I welcome to get my models right. Although, I must admit, I'm rather disappointed at the number of issues that I'd missed. The vac and steam pipes were on my list, as are some rain strips above the doors using microstrip (which you didn't even mention!), but missing the alarm gear was a schoolboy error! Not having a good prototype picture, I based my roof vents on the article in MRJ 243 about building the Masterclass Models etch (which I found after your earlier comments). He didn't seem to have any toilet fillers, but, of course it makes sense on the CL - the perils of basing a model on a model - 'sir' wouldn't approve!

Anyway, I should be able to sort the majority of your list before the paint shop, so thanks again.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Andrew,

A thread of one of your builds would be a 'must read'. So, if you are prepared to share the build with others then yes please...start a thread. For me, there were three reasons to start 'Coulsdon Works':

• To share what I've been doing with friends and anyone interested. I can just send a link to the thread which is an easy way of sharing it.
  • To gain constructive criticism from people like your good self to enable me to improve my modelling. The help I've had from you and Jonathan in particular has been very welcome. Given your expertise, I suspect this would be less useful for you, but you never know when you might pick something useful up.

I used to occasionally post progress on 'Wright Writes', but I didn't want to hog Tony's thread. This way, I can put up a finished article on there and direct interested people to my thread for more details.

Andy

Totally agree :)

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2019 at 14:46, davidw said:

Looking good. Which train is that going to be rostered in..

Thanks David,

I'm not sure which train it will go in eventually. I built it because I just love Gresley artics and there were a fair few knocking around the south end of the ECML in the fifties. My layout is based on an imaginary large suburban station between London and Hitchin with branches (think Hatfield), so initially I will use it on a branch service pulled by an N7. I think these worked on the Hatfield-Dunstable service although the photos I have mainly show the steel equivalents d.192/3 and I intend to have a go at one of them at some point to replace the d.210. At that stage it will probably form part of an outer suburban rake. Something like the photo below, but please excuse the scenery which is embryonic on this side of the layout.

DE736E9D-2B97-4D50-8955-3380B7DA2B67.jpeg.2e500c39e09e788822c800cea47b1e34.jpegAndy

To add photo
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A bit of a change today as Coulsdon works has turned into an S&T works. This is an MSE kit for an LNER home lattice signal. I bought it earlier this year to see whether I thought I could cope with building some more complex signals for my layout, Gresley Junction. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how easily it went together. I had to invest in a new pin vice to get down to 0.3mm bits, but once that was done it went together in a morning.

77A3A44D-51CB-4643-8E59-234BA55DD7EF.jpeg.10f181d15d809ab9290c2afa38fbd310.jpeg

Next steps will be paint, and then making it work. If that all goes smoothly, then I’ll be talking to wizard about something more complicated.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 04/09/2019 at 18:21, thegreenhowards said:

Andrew,

Andy

Afternoon Andy,

I will have a think about it. Though I recognize that build threads can be very useful, doing a blow by blow account would probably bore me to tears. I've almost completed the work on the sides of the GC BT (7). If  I had stopped to record what I was doing, I suspect I wouldn't have got half as far. If I did a thread, it would have to be conceptually a little different, though I take your point about recording things.

On 04/09/2019 at 18:34, thegreenhowards said:

Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to make these comments; they are exactly the sort of thing that I welcome to get my models right. Although, I must admit, I'm rather disappointed at the number of issues that I'd missed. The vac and steam pipes were on my list, as are some rain strips above the doors using microstrip (which you didn't even mention!), but missing the alarm gear was a schoolboy error! Not having a good prototype picture, I based my roof vents on the article in MRJ 243 about building the Masterclass Models etch (which I found after your earlier comments). He didn't seem to have any toilet fillers, but, of course it makes sense on the CL - the perils of basing a model on a model - 'sir' wouldn't approve!

Anyway, I should be able to sort the majority of your list before the paint shop, so thanks again.

Andy

Thanks Andy

I don't normally critic peoples modeling, you never Know what the reaction might be. However, I figured that you were an enthusiastic go getter, rather than a grumpy old git. I concluded that I would take the chance that my thoughts would be regarded as a positive contribution.

P.S. I decided to let you off the rainstrips, it seemed a little harsh.

21 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

A bit of a change today as Coulsdon works has turned into an S&T works. This is an MSE kit for an LNER home lattice signal. I bought it earlier this year to see whether I thought I could cope with building some more complex signals for my layout, Gresley Junction. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how easily it went together. I had to invest in a new pin vice to get down to 0.3mm bits, but once that was done it went together in a morning.

77A3A44D-51CB-4643-8E59-234BA55DD7EF.jpeg.10f181d15d809ab9290c2afa38fbd310.jpeg

Next steps will be paint, and then making it work. If that all goes smoothly, then I’ll be talking to wizard about something more complicated.

Lovely work.

• Thanks 1