Farish Thompson Coaches

Crepello

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Agreed. I hope they do some BR maroon ones too at a later date.

If it follows the pattern of the (G)WR Hawksworth coaches the maroon livery will follow in a couple of years.  I think the Stanier coaches were released in the same sequence.  The annoying thing is it seems to work as a strategy to get people to buy more coaches, I bought all liveries of the Hawksworths whereas I might only have bought the maroon ones if they'd come in the first run.

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 17:39, johnlambert said:

If it follows the pattern of the (G)WR Hawksworth coaches the maroon livery will follow in a couple of years.  I think the Stanier coaches were released in the same sequence.  The annoying thing is it seems to work as a strategy to get people to buy more coaches, I bought all liveries of the Hawksworths whereas I might only have bought the maroon ones if they'd come in the first run.

That's is exactly, there are people who will buy models because they are the first release of a new tooling, so they do the "less-popular" livery first.

• 7 months later...

Eye wateringly lovely though they are, surely the Teak thomsons are of very limited provenance ( as only the first few batches emerged this way post- war,  later batches being Crimson/cream from new with the original batches painted over by the early 50's ? ) unlike Gresley teaks which were around  for 20 odd years...  something to run behind a BR blue pacific maybe

• 4 weeks later...

I received an email on the 10th of June from Rails of Sheffield in which they state that the Thompson coaches will be in stock next week, both simulated teak and carmine and cream. I have ordered one of each of the carmine and cream examples 

Regards,

Alex

• Like 1

I have just been advised by my local shop that he has the Thompsons in stock.

I am hoping I will have mine on Saturday (my order somehow accidentally changed from four to five...). It will be nice to match them up with my NGS BG too.

They have been a while coming, but from what I have seen the wait will be worth it.

Roy

• Like 1

After a bit of a wait from announcement to delivery, my Farish Thompsons arrived this morning Courtesy of Anthony at my friendly local model shop, AGR Model Railway Store in Leighton Buzzard. Were they worth waiting for? Absolutely yes, they are exquisite, beautifully detailed and finished right down to curtains in the 1st class coaches and "first" lozenges on the windows, very nicely close-coupled too. I know some people will quibble about the price, but quite honestly you get what you pay for and no way could you commission anyone to kit-build to this standard for the money. Anyway, here are the five I ordered plus my Blood & Custard BG at the far end. Just need to decide which loco to choose for their inaugural journey....

20200622_095300.jpg

Edited by Roy L S
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Oh, very nice.  Have a mock teak rake on order at Monk Bar Model Shop to make up the post-war "Flying Scotsman" but I may just have to get a crimson and cream rake as well when the bank account has recovered...

Picked a couple of C&C up from my Local (FMR) earlier today, as a model they are lovely, and the connection is quite close, might struggle to avoid buffer lock on '1st radius' and the wheels are already blackened which will save me a job later. One major disappointment is the colour. Compared to Farish MK 1'S  and an NGS full brake the cream is just a tad darker, but the Crimson just isn't Crimson, its  more like crimson Lake / maroon. Heres a few comparators, the Suburban and the Hawksworth have been 'weathered' somewhat and still aren't quite as dark...20200629_174748.jpg.884f85fa422587299f365fae002e9396.jpg

1 hour ago, class8mikado said:

Picked a couple of C&C up from my Local (FMR) earlier today, as a model they are lovely, and the connection is quite close, might struggle to avoid buffer lock on '1st radius' and the wheels are already blackened which will save me a job later. One major disappointment is the colour. Compared to Farish MK 1'S  and an NGS full brake the cream is just a tad darker, but the Crimson just isn't Crimson, its  more like crimson Lake / maroon. Heres a few comparators, the Suburban and the Hawksworth have been 'weathered' somewhat and still aren't quite as dark...20200629_174748.jpg.884f85fa422587299f365fae002e9396.jpg

There seems to have been some variation with the shade Farish have used for the carmine over the years.  Your MK1 there is from about ten years ago, and was one of the earlier runs Fraish did, which used a brighter shade for the carmine.  More recent batches of the MK1s have used the darker shade like that on your Thompson.  I am not sure which shade is the right one.

Compared to the actual Birds Custard that Dapol used on their Gresleys, even more custard-like than railmatch 312 I suppose I should be more forgiving.

Sure variations did occur but perhaps not as extreme as this. Even today Saphos rails blood and custard is different to ( and more attractive than) Tornado's support coach...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't have any need for Thompson Coaches, but one has made it's way into the collection anyway as the teak finish is, for want of a better word, insane. 

Farish Thompson

TMP1.jpg.1b813d2ea4f6f61cd5a808a162f80e73.jpg

TMP2.jpg.25b8cba13db989a0057f3b2010926124.jpg

Whoever was responsible for the artwork on these deserves a pay rise!

Now I just need to work out how one ends up on the Mid Hants.......

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 6

On 30/06/2020 at 04:12, acourtrail said:

There seems to have been some variation with the shade Farish have used for the carmine over the years. 

At risk of restarting a long running debate, the darker red appears to be the "official" BS381C 540 shade adopted by most railway paint manufacturers, whilst their earlier coaches carry a lighter shade nearer to 564 which many feel is closer to the mark (see link). 

https://www.paragonpaints.co.uk/BS381C-Colours.html?page=2 

Perhaps the explanation is colour scaling, which says that shades are perceived as paler when seen from further away - a particular issue with N, given the greater scale viewing distance.

http://www.009.cd2.com/members/how_to/colour.htm

Frankly, my biggest issue on this point is that the Dapol and Farish versions of this livery are currently so far apart that they look wrong mixed in the same rake.

• RMweb Gold

The Dapol Collett coaches have a very bright, almost orange, colour for the "Carmine". Looking at photographs of the time, the shade appears to vary tremendously, from orangey-red through to near crimson lake; some versions look very brownish-red. I wonder how the manufacturers pick the colour to use—Farish's Staniers look lighter than the Thompsons in this respect. All the coaches in this livery today are effectively 12-inch-to-the-foot "models"; dies at the time, including red, were not particularly stable, and colour film of the time varied in its response too…

• Agree 1

On 12/07/2020 at 16:41, D9020 Nimbus said:

I wonder how the manufacturers pick the colour to use—Farish's Staniers look lighter than the Thompsons in this respect. 

I suspect you'd have to ask the factory in China. I could well imagine that the Bachmann / Farish office in the UK sent off an identical specification for the two types, but in the intervening few years the factory had changed their paint supplier, or something like that. 

And the relationship between the UK importers/agents like Bachmann and the Chinese factories seems increasingly like "like it or lump it"