Farish 'new' GWR Railcar

Crepello

I understood that this was originally supposed to have had a new DCC ready chassis? If so, very odd given advances elsewhere in the range to not bother or is this an attempt at keeping costs down for an entry level type model? 

Roy

I understood that this was originally supposed to have had a new DCC ready chassis? If so, very odd given advances elsewhere in the range to not bother or is this an attempt at keeping costs down for an entry level type model? 

Roy

It's what it says on the Hattons site, capable of DCC but no socket

very disappointing indeed!  I would  have  purchased  a  couple  for   our  UK N gauge  layout  but  will now  give  it  some  thought!

It  surprises  me  that  Bachmann  have  not  upgraded  the  chassis,  I am involved  with  a  couple  of  non  UK  outline  N  Gauge  layouts  using EMUs & DMUs  from   such as  Kato  Fleischmann, Piko  etc  all of   whom  supply  models  with  low  level   mechanisms  and  very  easy  digitization methods

Reading  later  post  to  mine  I am  pleased  to  see  that  the  chassis  has been  modified  to  provide  decoder  space,  in  which  case  I  will more  than  likely buy a  couple.

Hard  wiring  is  no  problem to  me,  I started   in Digital in '97  hard  wiring  was  the  norm  then  'DCC Ready' did not  make  an  appearance  for several  years, I actually feel  that  a  lot  of  experience  was  gained  ( due to  speaking  to decoder suppliers & manufacturers) in  those  early  years,  That possibly  would not be  gained currently

Edited by Stevelewis

I ended up buying one, even though I told myself I wouldn't.  I've already got several examples that were made by Bachmann in China so I don't need another (do I really need the ones I have).  But it looks OK (the basic outline), with fine quality printing, and runs well.  The lack of DCC capacity doesn't bother me and at a few pence over £80 it seemed like decent value.

I've posted this elsewhere on the forum but someone who wanted to have a go at N gauge could do far worse than one of these, an Union Mills 22xx or Dean goods and some Peco wagons (either kit or RTR).  It's probably as close to "Railroad" level N gauge as you're going to get.

• Like 1

More disconcerting for me is the fact that the chassis more or less fills the interior in the product photos. Even more retro than no DCC socket?

Nope. Apparently the chassis has been slightly re-tooled so that there is space to accommodate a DCC decoder. It's then just a matter of hard wiring it in. Surely that is not difficult for a railway modeller.

G. 

Nope. Apparently the chassis has been slightly re-tooled so that there is space to accommodate a DCC decoder. It's then just a matter of hard wiring it in. Surely that is not difficult for a railway modeller.

G. 

I am perfectly capable of wiring a decoder in thank you. I just find the "interior" repulsive by modern day standards.

I am perfectly capable of wiring a decoder in thank you. I just find the "interior" repulsive by modern day standards.

If it was made to modern day standards I suspect it would be a lot more expensive than the quoted price. Look on it as a modelling challenge to upgrade the interior to your requirements.

G

If it was made to modern day standards I suspect it would be a lot more expensive than the quoted price. Look on it as a modelling challenge to upgrade the interior to your requirements.

G

I would rather pay the extra money and get a proper interior, to be frank. I suspect Farish's sales would be greater too, as many would then be tempted to buy the model as a replacement for their existing ones. No point in them doing so as things stand. There are still plenty of modelling challenges, even without this one.

EDIT

To get a decent interior you would possibly have to scratchbuild a new chassis or buy and adapt a Japanese one. DIY isn't necessarily a cheaper option than Farish charging for a better chassis and a decent interior themselves.

Edited by Orion

To get a decent interior you would possibly have to scratchbuild a new chassis or buy and adapt a Japanese one. DIY isn't necessarily a cheaper option than Farish charging for a better chassis and a decent interior themselves.

I don't think anyone has suggested DIY, or some actual modelling, is necessarily cheaper - but you will get satisfaction in undertaking it and would start from a relatively cheaper position.

I would also suggest that an all new upgraded model won't necessarily attract lot of people to replace their older versions. Some will have improved the model themselves and there seems to be many N gauge enthusiasts who baulk at the current high prices. With part of the market satisfied it's not a sure fire cert to sell well. No doubt Bachmann considered such things when deciding to produce a new batch and the investment cost of upgrading the tooling.

G

I don't think anyone has suggested DIY, or some actual modelling, is necessarily cheaper - but you will get satisfaction in undertaking it and would start from a relatively cheaper position.

I would also suggest that an all new upgraded model won't necessarily attract lot of people to replace their older versions. Some will have improved the model themselves and there seems to be many N gauge enthusiasts who baulk at the current high prices. With part of the market satisfied it's not a sure fire cert to sell well. No doubt Bachmann considered such things when deciding to produce a new batch and the investment cost of upgrading the tooling.

G

I could quote several locos that have been totally revamped, presumably at vast expense like the 8F.

These things are really just matters of opinion Grahame. We could go on for decades arguing the point without anyone actually ever being proved more right than the other. I am sticking to my opinion.

Edited by Orion

I hope it does well. I won’t buy one as I already have two. I think they are very good looking models and find them to be perfectly acceptable. Ok they may not be up to the latest standards but they are much more affordable than a newly tooled one would be. What’s more really don’t think many people would notice the lack of interior on this model when in use. I certainly can’t see the interiors of my coaches or dmus when they go past.

I like well detailed models that look like the real thing and I don’t like saying this but there is a danger that the continuous demand for ever more detailed models at ever increasing prices could do long term damage to the hobby.

Edited by Chris M

These things are really just matters of opinion Grahame. We could go on for decades arguing the point without anyone actually ever being proved more right than the other. I am sticking to my opinion.

Not really. Bachmann have decided not to fully upgrade this model. That's not a matter of opinion. Presumable they took a business decision based on their research and considered market conditions. As Chris M (above) has mentioned, there are those who won't replace existing models - especially where the body was relatively good in the first place - but no doubt they feel they might have a reasonable chance with a basic low priced version.

G.

Hmmm. I'm sure that WAY back when I placed my order for this, I'd been told that it was being re-tooled to bring it up to date. The mechanism fills the entire body - so no chance of putting sound in, never mind a decent interior. A small recess has been dug into the top of the chassis block and two black wires emerge nearby. The body comes off easily if you just slightly open the bottom edges.  I'm surprised to find that there's no leaflet suggesting how to instal a decoder and my local retailer was unable to supply a decoder made for hard-wiring so it's actually necessary to buy one with a plug and cut the plug off! Bachmann really seem to have turned the clock back with this one. (CJL)

G. 

Is the motor the type which requires a "digihat" brush insulator when fitting a decoder?

Ian

Well, I have successfully installed a decoder in it and it runs very nicely. Curiously my railcar contained no printed information, so no advice on which decoder to use. The cut-out is just big enough for a very small decoder, but be warned, there's no space at all for any wires and if you use heat-shrink sleeves (as I reckoned were essential) you make matters worse. So, hard-wiring the decoder is easy enough but use the shortest possible wires and line the cut-out in the chassis with insulating tape. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed, it's perhaps not state-of-the-art- but from an operating distance it looks rather good, and that massive chassis gives it enough weight to run like a dream straight from the box- quiet and smooth, really good low speed, even on my badly-laid and rather tarnished track... It'll do.