Shawplan

• RMweb Premium

Inclined to agree (edit: with Tim's post). It's not really anything to do with being a sole trader, many (/most) sole traders would go out of business if they neither responded to emails nor picked up the phone.

It's clearly enough of an issue given this has come up multiple times that if I were Brian I would either:

- hire someone to do emails and phone calls and handle orders one day a week or something; or

- make it clear that orders are not accepted by email or phone, it's not just about "delays in busy times", I've actually never heard of someone being able to place an email order!

The website says their next exhibition is April 2018 too, although I accept there's a more comprehensive list further down. He doesn't need to be glued to his computer, I imagine he gets fewer than 20 orders a day, it needn't take more than 30 seconds to reply to an email. If you can't fit 10 minutes a day to sustain your business... well see the points above.

Again, I know Brian supplies manufacturers, and I'm sure that's more lucrative (and probably less time consuming) than sending single orders to end customers, but I'd rather he just said "exhibitions only, I don't want to talk to customers on the phone and I don't answer emails".

Reminds me of a local computer shop a mate of mine worked at.

The owner used to sit with his feet up on the desk and when the phone rang, he just ignored it. He often told his employee that he hated the ringing sound. Gradually it rang less and less!!!

With the writing obviously on the wall, my mate stole a copy of the database and when the shop closed he had a list of customers to approach.

Reminds me of a local computer shop a mate of mine worked at.

The owner used to sit with his feet up on the desk and when the phone rang, he just ignored it. He often told his employee that he hated the ringing sound. Gradually it rang less and less!!!

With the writing obviously on the wall, my mate stole a copy of the database and when the shop closed he had a list of customers to approach.

Obviously not bothered about Data Protection Act, Stealing Customer Details, Data theft, breaching GPDR guidelines as it is now called or any other laws your friend has broken in order to make some money?

Then people wonder why they get lots of junk/spam emails and phone calls from these unsolicited jerks!

I hope you reported his crimes to the authorities as it is still technically Employee Theft. There is no excusing how competent they think their boss is at doing their job!

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed my insurance company 2 weeks ago, no response as of typing this.

Mike.

Received a reply this evening for my order, and all paid, looking at previous responses I did wonder if Brian was going to reply, but considering everything the response in just over a day is good!

Oh and, hope you get your insurance sorted Enterprisingwestern :jester:

NL

• RMweb Gold

Received a reply this evening for my order, and all paid, looking at previous responses I did wonder if Brian was going to reply, but considering everything the response in just over a day is good!

Oh and, hope you get your insurance sorted Enterprisingwestern :jester:

NL

An excellent response.

It would seem that the eyewatering small fortune he has had to spend on his computer system has helped somewhat.

Remember though, despite the expenditure, there is still only one of him.

Mike.

I've been in touch with Brian at Shawplan. He responded in less than 24hrs to assist with my query. He said he'll put my order in the post on Monday.

I know many people have been saying that they've had issues contacting Brian, but it was probably down to technical glitches. I post a snippet of my email here later on where he gave me the reason for the delay.

I've been in touch with Brian at Shawplan. He responded in less than 24hrs to assist with my query. He said he'll put my order in the post on Monday.

I know many people have been saying that they've had issues contacting Brian, but it was probably down to technical glitches. I post a snippet of my email here later on where he gave me the reason for the delay.

Interestingly, no response as to when my order has/will been/be posted, it will have been a week tomorrow since everything was paid for, hoping everything is ok...

NL

• RMweb Premium

Obviously not bothered about Data Protection Act, Stealing Customer Details, Data theft, breaching GPDR guidelines as it is now called or any other laws your friend has broken in order to make some money?

Then people wonder why they get lots of junk/spam emails and phone calls from these unsolicited jerks!

I hope you reported his crimes to the authorities as it is still technically Employee Theft. There is no excusing how competent they think their boss is at doing their job!

All true. But guess what he obviously had good teaching, because he did similar things, like not following up with customers etc!

Brian has said that all three of his hard drives crashed and hence he's been lagging behind on work. Monday has come and gone and I have heard nothing since. He was supposed to send me the PayPal link to pay for my items so that he could have them shipped.

But let's see...

• RMweb Gold

I have had no response to emails to Shawplan so I guess I will wait for Warley to purchase the bits from the stand.

Interesting trend on these "small trader won't communicate" threads - there is rarely a response from the trader themselves, instead a "spokesperson" always seems to come to their defence time and again.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1

Instead a "spokesperson" always seems to come to their defence time and again.

Cheers

Darius

I have no idea how to take that. I am happy to share screenshots of the emails we've sent back and forth. I don't think anyone is coming to his defence. I'm genuinely reporting what I experienced.

Guest teacupteacup

I have had no response to emails to Shawplan so I guess I will wait for Warley to purchase the bits from the stand.

Interesting trend on these "small trader won't communicate" threads - there is rarely a response from the trader themselves, instead a "spokesperson" always seems to come to their defence time and again.

Cheers

Darius

Maybe Brian from Shawplan isnt a member on here?  Considering he runs the company alone and travels all over to exhibitions taking up thursdays to mondays I wouldnt imagine he has the luxury to spend time on this forum, or any?

I've posted before that I've received items from Shawplan, Im certainly no spokesperson.

Maybe another email incase yours has been lost in his server issues?

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

Darius

So, you complain when you don't get a reply, you complain when you do get a reply.

I give in.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

Darius

Just a thought but could it be the way in which an email is worded have any bearing on whether an email gets a reply or not? My guess is that a simple title like "Purchase request" with content that's to the point like "I would like to buy X, Y and Z please" would have a better chance of getting a reply.

Just a thought but could it be the way in which an email is worded have any bearing on whether an email gets a reply or not? My guess is that a simple title like "Purchase request" with content that's to the point like "I would like to buy X, Y and Z please" would have a better chance of getting a reply.

That's exactly what I did. Still no reply though.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

4 x 2D TSO glazing

2 x 2D TSO frames

1 x 2_ABC BSO frames

IF he does them

2 x 2_ABC BSO/BFK glazing

4 x 2_ABC TSO glazing

Lima 47 Glazing