Manchester Pullman

• 6 months later...

Apologies for hijacking this thread a little, but looking on Flickr I've noticed that some of the Brake coaches had blue ends whereas others had grey ends. Was this a later modification or was it only applied to a few of them??

85001 Manchester Piccadilly

The Up Manchester Pullman hauled by 86260.Purchased from Hugh Ballantyne Copyright is with me. 85016AtherstoneNorth28-4-82

Pullman_Longsight_3-6-79

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Hello Darius,

Did you eventually finish the rake?

Hi Andy,

Alas not yet.  Must get round to it this year along with the 4th coach of the NNK Class 508 kit.

Cheers

Darius

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Apologies for hijacking this thread a little, but looking on Flickr I've noticed that some of the Brake coaches had blue ends whereas others had grey ends. Was this a later modification or was it only applied to a few of them??

85001 Manchester Piccadilly

The Up Manchester Pullman hauled by 86260.Purchased from Hugh Ballantyne Copyright is with me. 85016AtherstoneNorth28-4-82

Pullman_Longsight_3-6-79

Hi Monty,

Could it be that the alternate styles of blue and grey ends are something to do with when the sets were repainted at overhaul and that one is an early style and the other is a later style ?

Gibbo.

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I don't recall seeing a blue end in the 80s as it passed, and I did see the train on a number of occasions.  Perhaps it was just one particular PB (of the 5 in stock) that was painted that way?

Here's another view, the number is almost readable at the largest size..

https://flic.kr/p/H9RFpD

Edited by stovepipe

Re the pantograph, the original Trix panto was a good representation of the Stone-Faively one. Sommerfeldt do a good one as well. We used some of them on the New Annington electric locos back in the 1980s.

Do any of the Manchester Pullman coaches survive? I'm still trying to find time to complete my Kitmaster Pullman set anyway!

4 hours ago, roythebus said:

Re the pantograph, the original Trix panto was a good representation of the Stone-Faively one. Sommerfeldt do a good one as well. We used some of them on the New Annington electric locos back in the 1980s.

Do any of the Manchester Pullman coaches survive? I'm still trying to find time to complete my Kitmaster Pullman set anyway!

Yes, I came across this list when I was trying to find out some info last night.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Preserved_British_Pullman_carriages#/Pullman_1966_cars

21 hours ago, stovepipe said:

I must admit I don't recall seeing a blue end in the 80s as it passed, and I did see the train on a number of occasions.  Perhaps it was just one particular PB (of the 5 in stock) that was painted that way?

Here's another view, the number is almost readable at the largest size..

https://flic.kr/p/H9RFpD

That's what I was wondering or like Gibbo said perhaps one of them was repainted at some time.

• 10 months later...

Hi Darius did you ever finish your superb rake of Mk2 Pullmans? I would love to see some photos of them. I have a part finished set of four coaches from the same Judith Edge kits and I am looking for someone who can finish them, they need detailing and painting if you know of anyone? I am based near Watford.

That's a shame as they look superb and as good as done in my opinion.  If you are interested in selling or building some more (lol) please let me know. Best regards David