Bridges or Viaducts with split gradient

Hi All,

I have an interesting problem, which I hope to solve by copying a prototype as there is a prototype for everything (I hope).

Basically my railway (plan) has 3 levels (call them high/mid/low). The low line disappears into a tunnel (hidden sidings), the high level is the main layout and the mid was planned to be the viaduct/bridge.

Are there any real world examples where a viaduct would have two lines converge, one climbing / one falling to a common height that I can use for research/inspiration?

Or would it be separate viaducts in the form of a 'Y' joining together?

Thanks,

Martyn

Not quite the same but would Proof House Jn outside Birmingham New St  fit the bill?

The Vauxhall Lines are on a viaduct on a viaduct to give clearance over the Stour lines and the levels come together on the approach to Duddeston station See here if I have got the link right

https://goo.gl/maps/9T1BnyfSKTS2

Andy

Edited by SM42

No reason why you can't, if they had to build it that way in real life they would of. The approaches to to metropolitan areas where quite crowded with railways at different levels especially in south London. The desending track was often built on an embankment from ground level till it reached near viaduct level Lewisham St Johns may be an example.

How about the junction on the East Lancs north of Ramsbottom where the lines used to separate continuing on to Rawtenstall in one direction and Haslingden in the other?

Or crianlarach where the Fort William line continues on a viaduct over the old Calendar and Oban while the Crianlarach to Oban line branches down and away to join up

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are several examples of this in Cardiff, including Clare Road underbridge in Grangetown, where there are also 2 distinct but not radically different levels; the northern section, carrying the SWML, is lower and graded downhill to the west, while the southern half carries the approach roads to the carriage shed, Radyr Quarry, and Panarth /Barry lines.  But the bridges in Splott that carry the Cardiff Tidal Sidings branch and the adjacent disused trackbeds are even more complex, especially at South Park Road where there are levels that, as well as carrying the Tidal branch, serve now abandoned trackbeds tor Swansea Street goods (TVR), Marhalling sidings, and a flyover for connected to high level sidings at Marshalling, this latter on a still extant brick arch bridge rather than the plate girders that serve for the others.

In Ireland the current line to Derry is on a 1930's LMS art deco concrete viaduct at a higher level than the Larne line.

There seems to be a prototype for everything.

• Like 1

In Ireland the current line to Derry is on a 1930's LMS art deco concrete viaduct at a higher level than the Larne line.

There seems to be a prototype for everything.

Bleach Green jct has already been mentioned above.

The Worcester Foregate to Malvern line crosses the River Severn and it’s flood plain on a high brick arched viaduct. At one time a goods branch left the main on the north side, descending steeply to quay level where Pitchcroft grandstand is now. The remnants are visible from Google Earth. Put a pin in the roundabout just north of where the railway crosses Croft Road.

Thanks all, for your wonderful suggestions.

Stand on Cardiff Central and look east (up direction).

The South Wales main line drops, on bridges and arches, whilst alongside it two tracks rise to reach Cardiff Queen St.

Brian R

There are several examples of this in Cardiff, including Clare Road underbridge in Grangetown, where there are also 2 distinct but not radically different levels; the northern section, carrying the SWML, is lower and graded downhill to the west, while the southern half carries the approach roads to the carriage shed, Radyr Quarry, and Panarth /Barry lines.  But the bridges in Splott that carry the Cardiff Tidal Sidings branch and the adjacent disused trackbeds are even more complex, especially at South Park Road where there are levels that, as well as carrying the Tidal branch, serve now abandoned trackbeds tor Swansea Street goods (TVR), Marhalling sidings, and a flyover for connected to high level sidings at Marshalling, this latter on a still extant brick arch bridge rather than the plate girders that serve for the others.

I'm embarrassed to say I've lived in or near Cardiff for 12 years and had totally forgotten the mainline is elevated on a series of bridges with the valleys line rising up and over!

The bridges in Splott isn't something I've seen before, but fascinating to see especially as you have plate and brick adjacent but at different levels.

The Worcester Foregate to Malvern line crosses the River Severn and it’s flood plain on a high brick arched viaduct. At one time a goods branch left the main on the north side, descending steeply to quay level where Pitchcroft grandstand is now. The remnants are visible from Google Earth. Put a pin in the roundabout just north of where the railway crosses Croft Road.

The Malvern line is what I had imagined in my head as a design, really clear when you see it in Google street view and very useful.

Thanks,

Martyn