Transforming a Bachmann Trains "Thomas" locomotive

For comparison here are your images of the original Bachmann candidate. Personally I think this is a good starting point in spite of your observations.

post-3717-0-91902700-1532330722_thumb.jpg

P.S. It does take some head scratching to try and understand the overlaid images.

Are you capable of soldering? Most scratchbuilders would naturally say go with an etched chassis if you can, though making it rigid requires quite a bit of effort during construction. If you would like to try it, I am soon to commission an etch for a Gauge 3 loco and I could always fit some 4mm chassis parts into it while in the design stage. All Id ask monetarily is to cover postage to you, if you want. Though I admit Im not too good at chassis design for models. My G3 designs rely on hornblocks to correct my sloppy soldering skills.

Any reason you do not use the original Bachmann chassis?

The wheels are too small and the running board is misshapen. I'm trying to find a more suitable wheel set as the metal wheels cannot be 3-d printed if I want them to be operational (which I do) 

Are you capable of soldering? Most scratchbuilders would naturally say go with an etched chassis if you can, though making it rigid requires quite a bit of effort during construction. If you would like to try it, I am soon to commission an etch for a Gauge 3 loco and I could always fit some 4mm chassis parts into it while in the design stage. All Id ask monetarily is to cover postage to you, if you want. Though I admit Im not too good at chassis design for models. My G3 designs rely on hornblocks to correct my sloppy soldering skills.

Can you provide some more info on what it is that you actually do please? I'm a little confused 

Can you provide some more info on what it is that you actually do please? I'm a little confused

Well professionally Im an engineer technician, trained as an engineer. Modelling wise, Im a very gifted CAD drafter and designer. They kinda go hand in hand.

While I personally model in 13.5mm scale, I have experience in 4mm OO scale and an currently in the process of designing a brass etch to be made.

Typically kitbuilt and scratchbuilt locomotives use brass etches for major components such as the chassis, most the entire thing.

As I am soon to commission an etch (in .55mm brass, which while a little thick for 4mm scale, would make a good strong chassis) for my own purposes and as your offer for chassis help came at a great time, I still have time to add additional parts to my etch sheet design.

If you wanted to have an etched brass chassis for your model, I would be willing to add it to my soon to be made sheet and send it off to you at no cost but postage within the US, on account of me being in NY and you in SC.

T

Well professionally Im an engineer technician, trained as an engineer. Modelling wise, Im a very gifted CAD drafter and designer. They kinda go hand in hand.
While I personally model in 13.5mm scale, I have experience in 4mm OO scale and an currently in the process of designing a brass etch to be made.
Typically kitbuilt and scratchbuilt locomotives use brass etches for major components such as the chassis, most the entire thing.
As I am soon to commission an etch (in .55mm brass, which while a little thick for 4mm scale, would make a good strong chassis) for my own purposes and as your offer for chassis help came at a great time, I still have time to add additional parts to my etch sheet design.
If you wanted to have an etched brass chassis for your model, I would be willing to add it to my soon to be made sheet and send it off to you at no cost but postage within the US, on account of me being in NY and you in SC.

That'd be awesome! Please PM me. 

• 10 months later...
On 10/07/2018 at 09:07, Dunsignalling said:

Sans the intended humour, which clearly fell flat, Hornby's Thomas was created by altering (irrevocably) the moulds for their earlier LBSCR E2 locomotive.

Given that The Rev'd Awdry clearly based Thomas on that prototype, perhaps a Hornby one might be a better starting point for those seeking a more "authentic" Thomas.

Of course, that begs the question as to whether you regard Thomas as portrayed in the book or one of the TV incarnations as the real deal...…

regards

John

If I wanted a Thomas straight from the books, I would go for the later version of him in the books with a flat running plate from front to back which makes it more levelled. That's what I'd do with the Bachmann model.