DJH Princess Coronation rescue

• RMweb Gold

Advice sought please. I have just purchased from that well known website a (formerly) beautiful model built as 46238. Unfortunately the seller didn’t pack the model for the rigours of parcel post and it has suffered significant damage as a result. Principle problems are :-

* Front frames broken

* right hand deflector creased bottom corner

* right hand cab side bent in

* tender front bulkhead bent

I know I can return it for a refund but I am wondering if modellers could recommend a ‘restorer’ and views as to whether such a restoration is worthwhile. It looks like it was professionally built and painted runs well. Any advice or recommendations gratefully received

post-1047-0-69490300-1531329621_thumb.jpeg

post-1047-0-61594300-1531329675_thumb.jpeg

post-1047-0-35320200-1531329713_thumb.jpeg

post-1047-0-59415400-1531329962_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

I bought a MMP Princess Coronation kit cheap of eBay with parts missing a while back all parts have since acquired. David Andrews was very kind enough to supply some parts. He might be worth a call.

I bought a MMP Princess Coronation kit cheap of eBay with parts missing a while back all parts have since acquired. David Andrews was very kind enough to supply some parts. He might be worth a call.

That might be difficult as the OP has what looks like a 4mm scale model, whilst your one is 7mm scale.

• RMweb Gold

That might be difficult as the OP has what looks like a 4mm scale model, whilst your one is 7mm scale.

Thats my fault -  I omitted to say the scale and DJH do both a 4mm and 7mm version . The model is indeed 4mm. All suggestions of help are appreciated.  :)

I'm afraid I would return it and save up for a Hornby one from Ebay

It doesn't look too bad from the photographs. The front end should reattach ok, The deflector can be straightened and repainted . The cab only has a slight deformity that will probably go back to shape with finger pressure and the tender front bulkhead can be straightened and painted. Any repainting appears to be on the black painted areas so should be reasonably straightforward.

SAndy

I also “won” a Duchess on that site and it too was badly packed and suffered damage. It was returned to the seller and I got a full refund of the costs including return postage although I had to fight for the return postage costs.

The loco, it was a Martin Finney 7 mm scale one, appeared again on the site shortly after!

Ian.

It's a real shame to see such damage to what seems to be a good model.

However, it is probably not as bad as it looks at first sight. I would echo Sandy Harper's comments above:  front platform should reattach easily. The cab side can probably be straightened by careful finger tweaking.

The tender bulkhead and smoke deflector could prove more of a problem - it can be difficult to straighten brass and remove all the creases once it has been bent like this. In the case of the tender it would probably not be noticeable once the bulkhead had been repainted. If the smoke deflector cannot be fully straightened, there's always the option of replacing it - both Comet and Jackson Evans make etched deflectors which would suit (the latter now available from Phoenix Precision).

I've made several of these Coronation kits including a couple that were "rescue locos" in a much worse state than the one you have. They do make excellent models, so if it was me, I'd certainly try to come to some arrangement with the vendor and then repair the loco - particularly if it runs well. You seem to have been lucky (?1?) that the maroon paintwork & lining appear undamaged.

If you decide to try to repair I'm happy to advise or try and answer any questions you may have (and there are plenty of experienced modellers on here who can do likewise). I may possibly have some spare smoke deflectors left over from one of the kits which I have built - I will have a look through my spares box.

Regards,

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a real shame to see such damage to what seems to be a good model.

However, it is probably not as bad as it looks at first sight. I would echo Sandy Harper's comments above:  front platform should reattach easily. The cab side can probably be straightened by careful finger tweaking.

The tender bulkhead and smoke deflector could prove more of a problem - it can be difficult to straighten brass and remove all the creases once it has been bent like this. In the case of the tender it would probably not be noticeable once the bulkhead had been repainted. If the smoke deflector cannot be fully straightened, there's always the option of replacing it - both Comet and Jackson Evans make etched deflectors which would suit (the latter now available from Phoenix Precision).

I've made several of these Coronation kits including a couple that were "rescue locos" in a much worse state than the one you have. They do make excellent models, so if it was me, I'd certainly try to come to some arrangement with the vendor and then repair the loco - particularly if it runs well. You seem to have been lucky (?1?) that the maroon paintwork & lining appear undamaged.

If you decide to try to repair I'm happy to advise or try and answer any questions you may have (and there are plenty of experienced modellers on here who can do likewise). I may possibly have some spare smoke deflectors left over from one of the kits which I have built - I will have a look through my spares box.

Regards,

Alan

Thanks. This post and Sandys have raised morale and inspired me to keep and restore. Might have to be a winter job tho as it hasn’t been below 25c in the attic for weeks. The price was low and from ‘my late fathers collection’ so I’m loathe to pursue the seller. It’s just one of those things that happen.

• RMweb Gold

It is sad to see when this happens. Trouble is senders all too often pack in the wrong way. The main cause of damage is not crushing, but this is how most seem to pack for. What really needs to be done is to prevent the loco moving in it's packaging as it is hurled from one end of a room to the other. 

All too often I get locos posted in these, with just some kitchen roll wrapped round the loco ...

I always give the package a right good shake to make sure there is no movement before entrusting to the RM. Also separating the tender from the loco and making sure they cannot collide in the post is important, otherwise drawbars can be snapped off etc.

As most have said here though looks like easy fixes on the black areas of the loco. I'd replace both deflectors with the Comet Models versions from Wizard Models - https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/lms-coronation-city-deflectors-ls62/ 

Edited by RedgateModels
lost image deleted