Honest Tom's Yard - Bashing Hornby's Generic Coaches

I think that one is based on a Hull & Barnsley prototype.

Hornby issued it in a lot of bogus liveries like that, as well as LNER (N E).

Yeah, apparently it's specifically a refrigerated van. I'm trying to find out if the H&B had any similar non-refrigerated vans, as apparently the refrigerated ones didn't really stray from H&B metals (also it's harder to justify one as part of a mixed goods train). On the other hand, my wagon fleet, like my hair, is looking a little grey at the moment, so a white van would liven things up. To be honest, the chassis it's on at the moment is not a fantastic match to the prototype (it's a Dapol 9' example that I happened to have spare), but at least the wooden frame looks less incongruous than the Hornby standard underframe.

One hiccup was my discovery that the Dapol and Hornby chassis are not quite the same length, as I discovered when the lower ends of the end beams (don't know the technical term) snapped off. I've fixed them as best I can, but given that the whole thing is a bit of a compromise, that's not a huge worry at the moment.

In general, I'm aming for something that looks reasonably authentic to the casual observer. I daresay that anyone knowledgeable about the prototype could pick holes in every one of my wagons. But given how well the inaccurate Hornby SECR dropside sold, I don't think I'm alone in not getting too worked up about these things.

• 5 months later...

Well, I finally got around to a project I’ve had in mind for a very long time - Frankensteining a Hornby class 08 body and Lima chassis to produce a cheap-and-cheerful 08. I haven’t test-run it yet (no controller at the moment) and it needs a bit of work doing before completion, but here it is so far.

617497F1-1982-42A2-81B2-9BE2F15BF1AC.jpeg

• Like 1

Done a bit more carving on the 08. The Hornby body has a strange sort of skirt between the footsteps, presumably to hide the mechanism. Not a problem with the Lima chassis, which fits quite neatly in there with no gap. So I carved the skirt away. Unfortunately, because I am a doofus, I managed to demolish the cab steps. I was planning to repaint anyway, but still a pain.

A1489B6D-021B-4506-93BE-D0DD870BB6CA.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Frankenshunter has had a little more work done, in the form of a repaint and some flush glazing. Also some filler on the buffer beam, which looks pretty rubbish at the moment, but I’m kind of hoping will be disguised by weathering.

F3FD9EA4-A4DB-44EE-8DA6-2ACAD71C688E.jpeg

• Like 1

• HonestTom changed the title to Honest Tom's Yard - Frankenshunter!
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve just popped by for a nosy. Looking good Tom! There is so much to learn for noobs like me, but I’m loving the whole ‘highly detailed micro-layout’ concept. I’m good with ‘micro layout’, it’s the ‘highly detailed’ that is my stumbling block! ;) 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andrew D said:

I’ve just popped by for a nosy. Looking good Tom! There is so much to learn for noobs like me, but I’m loving the whole ‘highly detailed micro-layout’ concept. I’m good with ‘micro layout’, it’s the ‘highly detailed’ that is my stumbling block! ;) 

To be honest, I've been involved in this hobby since I was very small and I still think of myself as a newbie. If there's one lesson I've learned, it's that it's a case of taking it in steps to build up confidence and just having a go. Nobody can scratchbuild an East and West Junction Railway Class X17 4-4-0 (superheated variant) in brass on their first go, but a few cuts with a razor saw or swapping a wagon chassis is easy, and then you've got a model that's your own. And then you can build your skills from there.

Actually, this forum gave me a lot of inspiration, seeing how much less complicated these things were than I thought, and seeing the steps people take and the mistakes they make along the way. Magazine articles are great, but it's not like you can stop the author and say, "Hold on, how did you do that bit?" or "I keep messing that stage up, what's the deal?" You can do that here, and people are very helpful.

13 hours ago, Corbs said:

Coming together nicely. Details like the pipes really transform old body mouldings.

Many thanks. The pipes are a bit wonky when viewed head on, but in real life they seem to get bashed about a bit (and there's going to be a lot of weathering), so I'm not too worried. This isn't going to be a super-detail model, the main components are too dimensionally compromised for that, but the lack of pipes really bugged me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I haven’t posted here in a while. Well anyway, here’s my latest project. I want a train for my Metropolitan Bo-Bo and red pannier. At the London Transport Museum’s open day, I spotted this wagon:

E1F492E9-A13C-44EA-BC6D-4731DA736FB8.jpeg.bea396c4f2477727c9b4a89eaf15c976.jpeg

Now, to me, this bears a fair resemblance to the Hornby 3-plank.

73DAA3AD-BE95-4E40-A802-D6589BE38F46.jpeg.550ac87c54925982bd9b572be61f4847.jpeg
Transfers arrived today, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 1

Currently waiting on a plumber, so I got the modifications to the first wagon done. The most obvious difference between the Hornby wagon and the real one is the wooden protrusions beneath the hinges, whatever they might be. I used some styrene to add these, and began repainting.

565ACE47-E40E-4A44-9AE8-9BAE48A9C1E1.jpeg

545FDC85-CAC5-4D4D-B92F-478DA6121DAA.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Nile said:

The sides rest on them when folded down, keeps them off the brake lever.

Ah, many thanks. Now I come to look at the prototype, with that in mind, it seems obvious.

Anyway, the plumber is taking his sweet old time, so more progress.

96F5EF2B-791F-4B88-A969-9B6C8AE569FD.jpeg.8a0ce5954fb61fb8b931675a69fb4dbc.jpeg

I’ve used Modelmaster decals. I like to hand-letter my wagons, but the London Transport livery is awkward - the letters are too small to paint neatly, but too large to get away with unreadable little blobs. The decals aren’t quite identical to the ones on the prototype, but way better than anything I could do. That being said, the “greased” and “unfitted” markings are indeed unreadable blobs.

Next up, varnish and weathering.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I was in a craft shop at the weekend and I found these:

B16AE971-7A68-44E0-B0EB-38A9CE0CBA61.jpeg.7039c26acf779f68b6fd8085595f909d.jpeg
They’re intended for jewellery, but I thought they might make neat spectacle plates for my pseudo-Victorian monstrosities.

642153B7-4744-4269-97F3-358F559F34F9.jpeg.3320f02620d99bc6e56075c242f5db3f.jpeg

As it turns out, they’re a near perfect fit.

6F56343A-4053-43E2-8661-B18AD02F9151.jpeg.4b9bd81b481f2962afffbeca7aa158dd.jpeg

They don’t hold up to close scrutiny, but not much of my modelling does. From normal viewing distance, they liven the engines up. These ring things are also available in a brighter finish, and I did pick up a packet of those. But these particular engines are meant to be grubby old industrials, so the tarnished look suits them better.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 3