• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the encouragement, unusually for a loco of this age you can see the prototype in steam, the rebuilt Furness Railway No 20. I don't know where it lives,

I missed it when it came to our local steam and heritage diesel railway.

In answer to ChrisN's question I think the motor bogie was built up from the Triang 4 wheeler from a Hymek model, Triang only did one size of 4 wheeler?

I don't know what the wheelbase is but it worked out OK.

Alternative is to build and use the High Level kit for a replacement 4 wheel loco bogie, probably easy to build and as it designed to fit under the floors so should fit

easily into a tender body.

Also a Spud should work or similarly a Black Beattle, the whole of the body can be filled with ballast so giving good haulage.

Thank you.  I will/hope to have an 0-4-2, a couple of 2-4-0s and a couple of small 0-6-0s which with my present thinking may well be powered by a tender drive, hence my question.  I had investigated Spuds, and other motor bogies a few months ago but my modelling has run into a sandbank and has almost ceased for a while so I did not pursue it.  I wish to do at least one to ascertain their pulling power.  However, I followed your link to find that motor bogies are becoming difficult to source.so may not be a viable option.

• RMweb Gold

Try this a modern motor bogie from Hornby from their multiple units which are meant to have good modern controllability.

X6305 about 34mm wheelbase, looks promising?

x6305y.jpg

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/hornby_spares/x6305y_motor_assembly_class_423_vep.htm

Thank you, it is certainly worth a thought.  I think I need a 28mm wheel base but if I just had them on one type of loco then who is going to notice?  (I will not be exhibiting them.)  I will need to clean up around the wheels and change them to spoked ones but it would be preferable to having to build a working chassis for the loco.

Thank you, it is certainly worth a thought.  I think I need a 28mm wheel base but if I just had them on one type of loco then who is going to notice?  (I will not be exhibiting them.)  I will need to clean up around the wheels and change them to spoked ones but it would be preferable to having to build a working chassis for the loco.

Hanazono 12 volt motor bogie 28.7mm wheelbase. Fitted with 10.5mm spoked wheels. https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Sundries---Motor-bogies-p1.html

• RMweb Gold

Hanazono 12 volt motor bogie 28.7mm wheelbase. Fitted with 10.5mm spoked wheels. https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Sundries---Motor-bogies-p1.html

Thank you, that is helpful.  It will be worth finding different ones.  I have a Sparkshot Custom Creations 3D four wheel Cambrian tender which is quite fragile.  My theory is that using this I can copy it in plasticad to build around a motor bogie.  First I need to see what they can haul.  Some motor bogies are quite delicate and state that you must not have too much weight on them so that will limit traction.  However if the loco was empty then it could have room for radio receiving gear and a battery which would give it some stabilising weight. 

Still, I do not wish to hijack this thread but seeing what Relaxinghobby has done with his Furness loco is an inspiration which eventually I may be able to replicate.

Thank you, that is helpful.  It will be worth finding different ones.  I have a Sparkshot Custom Creations 3D four wheel Cambrian tender which is quite fragile.  My theory is that using this I can copy it in plasticad to build around a motor bogie.  First I need to see what they can haul.  Some motor bogies are quite delicate and state that you must not have too much weight on them so that will limit traction.  However if the loco was empty then it could have room for radio receiving gear and a battery which would give it some stabilising weight. 

Still, I do not wish to hijack this thread but seeing what Relaxinghobby has done with his Furness loco is an inspiration which eventually I may be able to replicate.

The motor bogie I linked to should be suitable for early 4-wheel renders and an alternative to the equivalent Tenshudo bogie, the last of which I purchased from Motor Bogies UK for the expected Improved Derwent that has yet to materialise.  The online shop seems not to have re-stocked. The Scalelink ones are slightly cheaper, but I hadn't come across them at the time.

• 5 weeks later...

Some junior hack-sawery over the weekend to try and make my own tender drive.

I can't remember the make but it was a small continental diesel, I wanted to keep the heavy mazdac body for

haulage reasons.

post-6220-0-56258400-1540230489_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-54652300-1540230502_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-11768800-1540230513_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-95100000-1540230530_thumb.jpg

Old Tri-ang Wild West tender body.

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Some junior hack-sawery over the weekend to try and make my own tender drive.

I can't remember the make but it was a small continental diesel, I wanted to keep the heavy mazdac body for

haulage reasons.

attachicon.gifP1010051a.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010052a.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010053a.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010057a.JPG

Old Tri-ang Wild West tender body.

Hey! You've despoiled a Ratio Midland 2-4-0 kit (hen's teeth) for them thar splashers!

Don't worry lads you can put the pitchforks away.

No its not one less Midland loco it is a rescued orphaned Midland loco

I found it lost and abandoned on an exhibition rummage sale in Halifax, just the body moulding with a broken front footplate, nothing else no chassis, no tender, no roof, lying there unwanted.

The boiler went to make a 1F shunter and the cab and splasher sides have been waiting for a rebirth ever since, so here was it's chance when this milled brass chassis turned up with a matching wheel base.

post-6220-0-01539400-1540321839.jpg

post-6220-0-01539400-1540321839.jpg

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 5