Caledonian Coaches in 2mm

Argos

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently in an email conversation with Jim Smellie of Caley Coaches ( http://www.caleycoaches.co.uk/coaches.php ) with a view to getting some of his 4mm scale coaches shot down to 2mm.

Jim reckons on a minimum order of 10 coaches (any from his range).

I've identified 6 I would like to order which leaves 4 slots.

Is anyone else interested?

If so please PM me.

Please note this will be etched sides and ends only, and will not be produced until Jim places a larger order to keep costs down.

Thanks Angus

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

By way of update, Jim has let me know he will probably be in a position to produce the etches end of September/October this year. 

Interest has been shown for a another few coaches so I'll definitely be progressing.

Don't be shy if you want to add to the order!

Edited by Argos

Are the bogies for these standard Fox 8'?

As far as I can establish from Mike Willams' book, all the 57' stock had 8ft Fox bogies.  The Grampian, Edinburgh & Glasgow and slip coaches were all on 6 wheeled bogies.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris and Jim,

According to Mike William's book (Chapter 11) some 57' stock was built after 1914 (though mostly post war) on 10' bogies although it seems some diagram batches were also turned out with the standard 8' Fox bogie.

I don't think the 10' version is available in 2mm but it isn't necessary unless you are looking to model a 10' version for variety.

Hi Chris and Jim,

According to Mike William's book (Chapter 11) some 57' stock was built after 1914 (though mostly post war) on 10' bogies although it seems some diagram batches were also turned out with the standard 8' Fox bogie.

I don't think the 10' version is available in 2mm but it isn't necessary unless you are looking to model a 10' version for variety.

In my case, producing different bogies is not a major problem.

I am thinking about some of the 12 wheeler non-corridor stock. DId the Caley really make its passengers travel from Glasgow to Edinburgh without a corridor?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

The rational behind the lack of corridors seems to be:-

- The journey was less than hour so movement between carriages was not necessary.

- The busy route demanded high seating capacity

- Presumably speed of embarkation was also a consideration reducing stop time at stations.

Apart from the lack of corridors they appear to have been very high spec carriages for the time.

• 2 months later...