BRM August '18 - Bigger is most definitely better!

Andy McV

https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine/august-2018

Digital edition on sale from 13/07/18, print copies in stores from 19/07/18

post-31025-0-34553300-1531477927_thumb.jpg

As if last month's digital edition wasn't already massive, this month we've excelled ourselves with:

A FREE copy of Garden Rail

post-31025-0-57432200-1531478004_thumb.jpg

A FREE copy of Traction too

post-31025-0-45289000-1531478036_thumb.jpg

And there's much more besides:

EIGHT extra videos. Here's just a sample:

Andy York looks at the new wagons from Cavalex and Accurascale

post-31025-0-69244200-1531481271_thumb.jpg

We unbox Heljan's Class 07

post-31025-0-30004200-1531481295_thumb.jpg

And Oxford Rail's new Janus

post-31025-0-74648000-1531481315_thumb.jpg

And we attend the opening of the Bristol Line at the Pendon Museum

post-31025-0-09487300-1531481333_thumb.jpg

ONE bonus scenic layout: Penmaenpool

post-31025-0-80718700-1531481594_thumb.jpg

Plus TWO extra practical projects

Full BRM DVD footage included:

- New BRM Project layout

- Refresh tired track 

- Fit a photo backscene, and more

INSIDE THE AUGUST ISSUE...

Empire Mills (EM)

Deeping Lane (00)

Elmfield (N)

Kensington Addison Road, part two (0)

Make a stream diorama

Build a dockyard cakebox

Refresh and weather track

Make a pre-fab hut

Improve off-the-shelf telegraph poles

The latest news from Dapol, Accurascale, Heljan, Hatton's, Kernow, Bachmann and more

New models and the latest gear in stores

Reviews including the Heljan Class 07, the Rails Dynanometer, Accurascale's  HUO hoppers and RevolutioN's Class B Wagons

An EXCLUSIVE preview of Cavalex's brilliant new aggregate wagons

See how Peter Smith brought a much-loved former Birmingham station back to life

Learn about cast concrete huts

Read about the Class 07 prototype history

Tail Lamp: Join Kevin Phare as he rambles through the scenery

All of the above, plus bonus image galleries and a downloadable tea towel to hang on your scale washing lines!

That's 314 pages in total - enjoy!

https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine/august-2018

Andy McV

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Cracking watch on the video, I really enjoyed watching an almost live build.. My only criticism was you weathered the station and road but didn't really show the process and what happened to the hedge you bought? I thought that was going along the back?

The transformation after the static grass was amazing!

I found the first post in this thread rather confusing, so I'll bite.

What does the person who wanderers in to his local newsagent on 19th July and purchases a print copy of BRM get? A DVD stuck on the front of it? A copy of Garden Rail bagged with it? And Traction magazine?

G

I found the first post in this thread rather confusing, so I'll bite.

What does the person who wanderers in to his local newsagent on 19th July and purchases a print copy of BRM get? A DVD stuck on the front of it? A copy of Garden Rail bagged with it? And Traction magazine?

G

Newsagents will have BRM + DVD, selected supermarkets will have BRM + DVD plus a copy of Engineering in Miniature. Newsstand buyers had a copy of Garden Rail as an extra last month.

The digital offer this month is as the OP.

• Administrators

Cracking watch on the video, I really enjoyed watching an almost live build.. My only criticism was you weathered the station and road but didn't really show the process and what happened to the hedge you bought? I thought that was going along the back?

The transformation after the static grass was amazing!

A yes, the hedge. And the weathering (which I carried out with powders) Well the problem is that we shot over 35 hours of video and it had to be cut down a bit. I'm pushing for a "directors cut" version to be made available though, or we may dig out some more film for future DVDs.

• Administrators

Based on the last few months it seems like BRM are heavily into promoting the digital issue with lots of extras in it . It does seem that this is now Warners prime objective and while maintaining the printed edition , for the time being, it looks to be of secondary importance. Time to,come off the fence and declare their intentions. Surely this would allow people to decide whether to subscribe to the digital edition or maintain their subscriptions to the printed edition.

I'm not sure what  "declare their intentions" is supposed to mean. People are entitled to subscribe to whichever edition they want. The paper version is as good as it's always been - sometimes better as we can use the digi edition to justify trips and content that paper on its own couldn't support.

BRM has been a multi-media publication for several years now thanks to the DVD. The digi is in many ways, just an extension of that. We film the DVD with professional quality 4K cameras, whereas the digi extras are often Phil'n'Andy specials. Nothing wrong with that, but they don't quite have the production values the main film crew can manage. We can also chuck in extra photos taken as part of a shoot that would otherwise never be seen. Cost of this is nothing more than a bit of designer time since the images already exist and just need to be set up in a gallery. The best photos appear on the page, but the others are hardly poor.

As has been explained repeatedly, digi is the future. Paper sales for all magazine are falling slowly (we've bucked this trend for now but can't forever) and the costs of distribution and retail are rising. We could just pretend this isn't happening and one day find ourselves out of a job (and RMweb out of a source of income) or we can look to the future. Digi sales are on the up. We know that in a competitive marketplace, we need to give readers more than a simple electronic version of the paper mag. That would be good, but hardly exploits the technology. Warners can do this, so we do.

No-one can predict when paper mags will die. Warners has a great big printing plant which is being expanded, so it's not in their interests to see this happen. If anyone can predict the end of paper, then they will be a multi-millionaire as picking lottery numbers is easier. I'm told that railway titles will probably last longer on paper than most others and they aren't going anywhere for years yet. Personally, I like paper, but also pay for a digi sub as it's useful for some jobs and it can include features physically impossible to do on the page.

We can't run down the paper edition if that's what you are suggesting either - it's the basis for the digital version. To do anything else would require producing two different magazines and if anyone suggested that, they would find themselves eating a design team computer! 

• Like 2

I like a paper magazine that I can read sitting comfortably with a cup of coffee - you just can't do that with the digital version.

Peter

I much prefer a cup of tea, but otherwise yes, I prefer a paper mag.

G.

• Like 2

I like a paper magazine that I can read sitting comfortably with a cup of coffee - you just can't do that with the digital version.

I was hoping this wouldn’t become another digital v paper nonsense debate. But as it clearly is, let’s stick to facts. I routinely read my digital edition while relaxing, with tea, or coffee, or even a pint! Right now I’m on the couch, fully reclined enjoying the super detailed picture enlargements, coffee at my side!!!

I guess non-digital users assume digital = large desk based computers. Far from it, statistics show the majority of digital content is consumed on smart phones and tablets.

I think BRM have exactly the right approach to a mixed digital offering, as described above, and hope they continue providing both for a long time to come.

• Moderators

I can't find this? 'Marsh Chipping'? The digital edition is so huge :)

I think Andy got ahead of himself there :mail: This month's DVD is a scenic layout renovation (on a budget) to tie-in with the scenery theme. Called 'The art of compromise', Phil and I took on its transformation over two days - it was a great blank canvas for demonstrating a crash course in layout transformation. Pick up a copy of BRM or grab the digital edition for those of you who haven't seen it yet.

post-29671-0-26210800-1531905238_thumb.png

With regard to Phil's article on inlaid dockyard track, specifically filling the gaps between the sleepers with clay.

In the following step this is covered with a sheet of card. So, is the clay used purely to stop the card sagging over time? Is it acting as ballast to hold the track in place? Or have I missed something?

Thanks

Andrew

• Administrators

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20180718-095911~2.png

With regard to Phil's article on inlaid dockyard track, specifically filling the gaps between the sleepers with clay.

In the following step this is covered with a sheet of card. So, is the clay used purely to stop the card sagging over time? Is it acting as ballast to hold the track in place? Or have I missed something?

Thanks

Andrew

It's to smooth the space between the sleepers to hide them. If you don't do this, when looking down at the track, you can see the sleepers and worse, the gaps between them which looks a bit rubbish. 

Nothing like paper! (or is it nothing like leather?)

Horses for courses. Those of us who are "foreigners" are confronted by two real issues with respect to paper magazines:

1) It gets really expensive

2) Magazines take ages to get here.

Paper is great. My German magazines are still on paper as they haven't sorted the electronic mag thing out as well as pocketmags or Zinio.

(But that is changing: VGB aka Miba and Eisenbahn Journal now allow Digital Downloads, but you lose out on the 4X a year cover DVD)

Bonus:

3) I can carry around a stack of magazines on my Tablet...and I still have shelf space in the basement.

I like the way BRM is using the digital format to do more than paper allows, because, really, a flat file of the paper mag doesn't add much.

Keep up the good work, BRM.