BRM August '18 - Bigger is most definitely better!

Andy McV

• RMweb Premium

A question about Digital Subscriptions if I may.

When you subscribe to a digital edition, is it yours to view for 'ever' on your laptop / tablet, or can it only be read while you have a valid subscription?

I currently get a paper edition and have a couple of years worth of accumulated back issues that I don't want to get rid of as they are great for referring back to etc. However, space wise they are starting to take over.

I'm leaning towards going digital but don't know if you can view your past issues, even if you subsequently cancel the subscription.

A question about Digital Subscriptions if I may.

When you subscribe to a digital edition, is it yours to view for 'ever' on your laptop / tablet, or can it only be read while you have a valid subscription?

I currently get a paper edition and have a couple of years worth of accumulated back issues that I don't want to get rid of as they are great for referring back to etc. However, space wise they are starting to take over.

I'm leaning towards going digital but don't know if you can view your past issues, even if you subsequently cancel the subscription.

It's yours to keep, you just need a Pocketmags account to access it again. If you only buy one issue or have a subscription which you no longer maintain you retain access to everything you've bought. 

Try a free sample issue to see how it works - https://pocketmags.com/onlinereader/152914

I find digital copies far easier to go back to when I need to refer back (especially when you can't remember how long ago something actually was!).

• Administrators

Slight complaint on the DVD - at times Howard's mic seemed to be faulty, so we only heard him faintly. 

Others may think that is an improvement!

I wish that was the case in real life.  :onthequiet:

Only kidding Howard.

• Moderators

Slight complaint on the DVD - at times Howard's mic seemed to be faulty, so we only heard him faintly. 

Others may think that is an improvement!

yes - sounds like the audio levels weren't adjusted

Show us your projects

Started by Howard Smith, Jun 04 2018 09:05

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:05

The August issue of BRM is a scenery special and we'd like to see your scenic projects. If you'd like to be featured in the issue, no matter what your ability, please send an email to howards@warnersgroup.co.uk with 250 words and three photographs to share your scenery project.

Scenery can be a broad brush, but we'll accept anything that isn't rolling stock, track, baseboard and power-related. That means anything from backscenes, to grass, trees, walls, fences and structures (large and small) all count. You can also PM me your projects...

Hi Andy – thanks for sending these photographs through, much appreciated. Please look out for it in the August issue – great project!

Best,

Howard

Cant see it ????????

Edited by Andrew P

Show us your projects

Started by Howard Smith, Jun 04 2018 09:05

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:05

The August issue of BRM is a scenery special and we'd like to see your scenic projects. If you'd like to be featured in the issue, no matter what your ability, please send an email to howards@warnersgroup.co.uk with 250 words and three photographs to share your scenery project.

Scenery can be a broad brush, but we'll accept anything that isn't rolling stock, track, baseboard and power-related. That means anything from backscenes, to grass, trees, walls, fences and structures (large and small) all count. You can also PM me your projects...

Hi Andy – thanks for sending these photographs through, much appreciated. Please look out for it in the August issue – great project!

Best,

Howard

Cant see it ????????

O.K., Now Sep I believe.

Cheers Howard.

• RMweb Gold

What happened to the other thread about this edition, primarily featuring the DCC advert controversy?

Removed at the request of the OP.

Thanks Andy. I guess he became fed up with having to "duck".

"Quack! Quack! Oops!!"

Seriously though, the ad that really "bugged" me was the one on page 145.

Let's face it - when I was a student at the Polytechnic of Wales, if any of my electronics lecturers had caught me holding a soldering iron like that, I'm sure they would have blown a fuse … .

Joking aside, it's obvious that photo is posed - I'd also be very surprised if that soldering iron (certainly the tip) had ever been turned on - but it should be interesting to see all the skills used in refurbing that layout.

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

Seriously though, the ad that really "bugged" me was the one on page 145.

Huw.

That's page 193 of the digital version (in case anyone was confused like me). All the extra digital content completely messes up the page numbering. And I've just noticed the pages don't have numbers on them, making it impossible difficult to navigate using the contents page.

Digital v paper : One advantage of digital is that you get to see all of any photos that span pages. Like most UK model railway mags BRM is perfect bound, which ruins any photos or plans that span pages.

• RMweb Gold

My favourite page is 35...........

Thank you.

Rob.

• Like 3

Picked up my copy today from Smiths. Great issue as always, bar the spelling mistakes...

I hate to criticise BRM as the magazine with the DVD is excellent, but does no one proof read to check for spelling mistakes? It seems to be a recurring problem.

• Administrators

Picked up my copy today from Smiths. Great issue as always, bar the spelling mistakes...

I hate to criticise BRM as the magazine with the DVD is excellent, but does no one proof read to check for spelling mistakes? It seems to be a recurring problem.

If you mean is there a special group of people other than the editorial team then no. Or if there is, then they hide them when I visit the office.

I doubt any publication with this many words produced on this sort of publication schedule can be perfect. To quote a well known staff member from another magazine thread covering the same ground recently, proof reading is a thankless task. People only notice when you get it wrong. We do our best but I'm afraid some typos will get through.

If you mean is there a special group of people other than the editorial team then no. Or if there is, then they hide them when I visit the office.

I doubt any publication with this many words produced on this sort of publication schedule can be perfect. To quote a well known staff member from another magazine thread covering the same ground recently, proof reading is a thankless task. People only notice when you get it wrong. We do our best but I'm afraid some typos will get through.

Fair enough. At the end of the day, we're only human. :)

• RMweb Gold

The pic has been a bit of a source of internal mirth Huw, someone decided that it should look like Howard was doing something.

Gotta say Andy, that's the sort of photo that is taken after the pubs have closed. 

I have to say, it's taken a bit of time to get used to the digital stuff. Ill be honest, there's nowt better than a pint of plain, bit of peace and quiet, and a thumb through a paper issue. That said, it's equally satisfying to flick through the digital edition, get to the so-called "end" of the mag and keep going into a garden special! Have to say that I do like the additional links to vids and photos on pocketmags, which you don't get with print. Can I be greedy and say I'll stick to both formats, depending on how thirsty I am? 

Richard.

edit: sp3lling

Edited by Irish_R_M
  • Like 2

I played the DVD that comes with the print edition yesterday evening and enjoyed the main bit very much with Howard and Phil getting their hands dirty.  There were some very handy ideas in there and half an hour flew by.  I'm afraid that the extras section, being yet another plug for the digital edition, was rather an anti-climax.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/07/2018 at 18:18, Andy Y said:

The pic has been a bit of a source of internal mirth Huw, someone decided that it should look like Howard was doing something.

Perish the thought .....

looking at the offending page though it looks to me like the soldering iron was 'shopped in later, maybe that's my suspicious mind. H knows which end to hold really. Doesn't he?

Edited by RedgateModels
lost image deleted

• Administrators

I have to say, it's taken a bit of time to get used to the digital stuff. Ill be honest, there's nowt better than a pint of plain, bit of peace and quiet, and a thumb through a paper issue. That said, it's equally satisfying to flick through the digital edition, get to the so-called "end" of the mag and keep going into a garden special! Have to say that I do like the additional links to vids and photos on pocketmags, which you don't get with print. Can I be greedy and say I'll stick to both formats, depending on how thirsty I am? 

Richard.

edit: sp3lling

Long term, I suspect both digital and print will be popular. Sadly, we can't offer this in a single payment, but that doesn't mean we aren't looking for a way to do this. Watch this space.

• Administrators

Perish the thought .....

looking at the offending page though it looks to me like the soldering iron was 'shopped in later, maybe that's my suspicious mind. H knows which end to hold really. Doesn't he?

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

That would be Howard "Oh my fingers are on fire" Smith? Dunno. :-)

• Like 1

• Moderators

OK, you all caught me out... i didn't have an iron in the studio at the time, so thought a pen and photoshop would go unnoticed! :no:

Next time, it's point motor installation, though not as in-depth as I'd have liked because our crew have bigger fish to fry... hopefully you'll all still enjoy it though.