BRM August '18 - Bigger is most definitely better!

Andy McV

• RMweb Gold

Perish the thought .....

looking at the offending page though it looks to me like the soldering iron was 'shopped in later, maybe that's my suspicious mind. H knows which end to hold really. Doesn't he?

I certainly hope so ... joking aside, I'm sure he does.

That would be Howard "Oh my fingers are on fire" Smith? Dunno. :-)

I guess this could have been much worse. He could have been installing OHLE ... .

Don't worry - I'm fully aware of your reasons for avoiding the stuff on project layouts. Much as I personally like the stuff, I was just using OHLE as an example.

(My main interests have always been D&E {BR Modernisation Plan onwards} - and, of course, trams.)

OK, you all caught me out... i didn't have an iron in the studio at the time, so thought a pen and photoshop would go unnoticed! :no:

Next time, it's point motor installation, though not as in-depth as I'd have liked because our crew have bigger fish to fry... hopefully you'll all still enjoy it though.

To be fair, I wasn't looking too closely at how the soldering iron had found its way into the photo. I was just trying to make a weak joke about the wording of an advert elsewhere in the same magazine - so I wanted to quickly find something that might possibly be perceived as more shocking.

Of course, with my background, the soldering iron just "jumped out" as looking "not quite right" - but this stuff seems to have taken on a life of its own.

Huw.

I nearly picked up this issue for a read about Empire Mills, it seemed a lovely layout and in EM gauge as well a scale I've moved on to. I have to say however that the ready to run clay wagons with there fabric hoods did spoil it some what which is unfortunate.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi Howard

One quick thing about the video - which is excellent - I was a bit concerned by the spray glue. I don’t know what you’re using, but if it’s anything like the stuff I used when framing prints it can be pretty nasty. I used to spray outside to make sure the glue wasn’t atomized in the air to breathe in.

Cheers

Jason

• Moderators

Hi Howard

One quick thing about the video - which is excellent - I was a bit concerned by the spray glue. I don’t know what you’re using, but if it’s anything like the stuff I used when framing prints it can be pretty nasty. I used to spray outside to make sure the glue wasn’t atomized in the air to breathe in.

Cheers

Jason

Hi Jason - thank you. Yes, it's not something that should be sprayed indoors and I'd recommend anyone who really must do it indoors wear a face mask. In other words, do as I say, not as I do...

My copy arrived yesterday and it just gets better. It looks good, the photos are superb, and the content good.  Empire Mills is great, but one small complaint - where is the track diagram that BRM does very well? BRM was in the doldrums for a while but I am glad I kept my subscription.  Well done people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I've been playing with a bit of video recently to edit some interviews carried out on the Isle of Man. Watch this space for details of these, in the meantime, here's a shot showing the prefab bungalow I build in the current issue of BRM.

Download now, or sign up for one of our subs packages.

• Like 4

I really enjoyed the DVD with this issue, Some great ideas for both reviving an old layout and a newbie starting out.

I currently have a paper subscription but will be looking into a digital one.

One question i have is how much storage space do you get with a pocketmags account ?.

Regards

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

... and if you download them to your tablet or other device, then it will keep going until you fill up your drive the same way photos and music etc do. I seem to be able to get a lot of issues on my iPad and haven’t had to delete any yet, but it depends also on the storage volume on the device.

Also, I dont know it this helps your decision, but some mags are difficult to read on a device, but I don’t find I have a problem with BRM. It might be worth buying a single issue up front and seeing how you get on.

Cheers

Jason

• Like 1

We come as, not just recommended but, compulsory reading - http://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org/british-railway-telegraphpoling/

:)

For a lesser publication we would have recommended that you just block the aisle in Smiths and read it there and then whilst completely ignoring those squeezing past grumbling “you’re supposed to buy the bloody thing you know!”.  Definitely NOT this time – get it bought. (just £4.75 with free DVD for goodness’ sake)

Thank you for the plug Martin!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

We come as, not just recommended but, compulsory reading - http://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org/british-railway-telegraphpoling/

"For a lesser publication we would have recommended that you just block the aisle in Smiths and read it there and then whilst completely ignoring those squeezing past grumbling “you’re supposed to buy the bloody thing you know!”.  Definitely NOT this time – get it bought. (just £4.75 with free DVD for goodness’ sake)"

:)

Thank you for the plug Martin!

Really?

Do you mean people actually fishing out (and handing over) some of that folding stuff at the bottom of those deep pockets - the pockets that are known to be so much deeper than the length of their hands?

No. Surely not.

That would spoil the fun of aisle-blocking at their local WHS "reading room".

It most certainly would not do ... for some people.

Hi there

... and if you download them to your tablet or other device, then it will keep going until you fill up your drive the same way photos and music etc do. I seem to be able to get a lot of issues on my iPad and haven’t had to delete any yet, but it depends also on the storage volume on the device.

Also, I dont know it this helps your decision, but some mags are difficult to read on a device, but I don’t find I have a problem with BRM. It might be worth buying a single issue up front and seeing how you get on.

It's that scary "buying" malarkey again, folks.

Strenglich verboten ... apparently.

Or, test our free sample issue...

That's more like it.

OK. By now, some people might have sussed that I like my humour slightly dry. On a couple of occasions, I've even been accused of being cynical (perish the thought).

There are, however, some serious points here:

• Some people have been known to take an interest in telegraph poles - whilst completely ignoring the (far more electrifying) OHLE that can be found on lots of railway lines in mainland Europe (and some in the UK, too - but not too many, if certain people have anything to do with it).

This will not do - sparks will fly!

• More annoying still are those guys who insist on clogging up the aisles of their local WHS, reading the print off the pages of magazines. I know some people might not be too worried about some publications - certain "red top" newspapers seem to have a reputation for being "grubby" anyway.

However, when I check the contents of, or (Shock! Horror!) buy a copy of Railway Modeller, MRJ, ModelRail, Hornby Magazine, or Garden Railways Magazine, I prefer to hold a clean copy, one on which I can still smell that fresh, aromatic, ink on the pages. You know - this might even make it worth my while buying a copy - especially if the content is of interest to me.

At this point, I guess I should also point out that other model railway titles are also available - some of which make major contributions to the running of this site. I suspect that someone from Warners might be along soon to tell us all about some of these titles (if they haven't already ...).

• The comment about some magazines being difficult to read on electronic devices might interest some people for different reasons. Some people might have encountered the free US e-zine Model Railroad Hobbyist. Although some people in the UK might regard MRH's subject matter to be slightly "niche" (US and Canadian outline railway modelling), I never have any difficulty finding articles of interest to me.

However, in the last few years, I have noticed that MRH is routinely offered in both "landscape" and "portrait" formats - specifically to allow for reading on a wide selection of devices.

• Finally, I come to where people are most likely to come across copies of BRM (or any other railway modelling magazines). I'm sure we've all been stuck in doctors' or dentists' waiting rooms where there's no reading matter actually worth the effort of reading - or where the waiting room table only holds old copies of Readers Digest, Country Life, Top Gear Magazine, or Condé Nast Traveler.

OK, it might be interesting to read about, say, the "Moses Bridge" in the Netherlands - but I can think of one person who might like to read about stuff like "how to kitbash some coach and brakevan parts into a model railbus"*. (*Other projects are available.)

Unfortunately, the typical choice of reading matter found in waiting rooms might suggest that a number of people aren't railway modellers.

Even more scary is the thought that a number of readers of model railway magazines also might not be railway modellers - collectors, yes - modellers, no.

... And on that bombshell, it's time to end.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

The Telegraph Pole Appreciation Society?

At last someone that even bus spotters can look down upon and say "get a life". :blum:

As a TPAS member I shall enquire of the founder whether it is possible to arrange for you to become a wraparound for an insulator pot. Or the whole of a 28' pole.

• Administrators

Hi there

Cheers

Jason

And you can see it on all your devices. I read the mag on my tablet AND my PC. If there was an etch-a-sketch version, you could probably read it on that too. 

Phil

The Telegraph Pole Appreciation Society?

At last someone that even bus spotters can look down upon and say "get a life".   :blum:

Although they are substantially above those that appreciate drain covers….Bad Dum Tsh!

Jason

Oh dear, what if, like me, you like both buses AND telegraph poles . . . do I have to look down on myself (summons up memories of Monty Python)?!!