Cakebox Challenge Comp - call for entries

Andy McV

Hello everybody,

Time marches on, and our Cakebox Challenge will soon be coming to an end - a shame, as we've seen some brilliant entries, but all good things must end at some point.

With that in mind, we now come to the competitive element of the challenge - put simply, which is the best box? At stake is a £75 prize courtesy of our friends at Humbrol. This comprises a pack of Palpo detail brushes, a pack of Stipple brushes, ten acrylic paints, five washes and five weathering powders. Not only that, we'll also be putting a prize pot together of at least equal value, which will be tailored to the needs of the winning entrant. 

For your chance to win this bumper bundle, I'm asking cakebox engineers for up to 200 words describing the model and three photos to be emailed to ‘cakeboxchallenge@warnersgroup.co.uk’.

The competition itself closes on October 12, whereupon the judging takes place and the winning entry will be roundly celebrated in our January edition.

That's really all there is to it. Well, I say that, but given the high quality of entries on RMweb, picking an outright winner might be a bit of a challenge!

Either way, let's start getting those entries in please.

Many thanks

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to confirm - does this mean that this challenge is now closed to new entries - or just that anyone submitting entries needs to "get things moving"?

This question isn't quite as stupid as it might sound - as some further people are likely to be working on entries, but deliberately keeping quiet until they're close to finishing. Some people might also have definite reasons for adopting this approach (like having had to abandon entries to previous challenges, due to unexpected calls on their time).

This is certainly the case for me (with an entry at the "90 - 95% completed" stage - and a thread just about to be started - assuming that I can remember how to post all my build photos without using Flash ...). I very much doubt if I'm alone in this regard.

Whatever the score, it should be interesting to see how all the different entries fare.

Huw.

I'm hoping that this means "you need to email your submission for the challenge, which must arrive no later than 12th October 2018".

At present my essays are all in various stages of completion.  After my summer holiday (beginning of August),  I intend to blitz the outstanding work and present them by 11th October.

(But a 200 word explication?  Noooooooooooooooooooooooo......:O

• Like 2

I still need to take some better photos in a less cluttered setting with a proper camera, for both my entries (and was hoping to squeeze in another if time). Is there still time for this?

Edit: I just thought of something else actually - do we have to photograph them in an 8x8x6 box to demonstrate eligibility for the challenge?

Edited by 009 micro modeller

Just to try and clarify matters a little, is it one cakebox model per entrant/modeller, or are we allowed to submit more than one if we so wish?  

Its just that I'll have six cakebox models (once my current model "Journey's End" is completed), so if it is indeed one model/entrant, I may end up with a bit of a difficult decision as to which one to submit!

Edited by Andrew Cockburn

I'm hoping that this means "you need to email your submission for the challenge, which must arrive no later than 12th October 2018".

At present my essays are all in various stages of completion.  After my summer holiday (beginning of August),  I intend to blitz the outstanding work and present them by 11th October.

(But a 200 word explication?  Noooooooooooooooooooooooo......:O

Hroth, don't worry about the words, getting it down to 200 is the problem. it does say up to 200. :rtfm:

Hroth, don't worry about the words, getting it down to 200 is the problem. it does say up to 200. :rtfm:

But the words have to be in the right order, and contain the correct amount of buzzwords.  Have you ever seen the stuff produced by artists and their ilk to explain away the half-eaten stacks of bread coated in wax (for example)?

Terrifying!

• Like 2

But the words have to be in the right order, and contain the correct amount of buzzwords. Have you ever seen the stuff produced by artists and their ilk to explain away the half-eaten stacks of bread coated in wax (for example)?

Terrifying!

Blast! There goes another of my cake box ideas! I think I might just randomly glue a lot of bits of plastic kits, old wheels, broken wagons etc (see, lots more than 2 railway items) to an 8"x8" board and entitle it 'The Workbench'. :jester:

• Like 1

Hello again all,

Apologies for the lack of clarity on a couple of points. Just to confirm - October 12th is the absolute cut-off date for entries to submitted, and you can submit as many cakeboxes as you like.

The 200 word limit is just to aid the judging process. You don't have to write that number exactly, and we'll probably forgive a few over the limit. However, you won't be penalised if you don't make the wordcount.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Just to confirm - October 12th is the absolute cut-off date for entries to submitted, and you can submit as many cakeboxes as you like.

The 200 word limit is just to aid the judging process. You don't have to write that number exactly, and we'll probably forgive a few over the limit. However, you won't be penalised if you don't make the wordcount.

Thanks for the clarification.

So minuscule amounts of verbosity shouldn't be too much of a problem - but it's possible that you might, perhaps, find it somewhat preferable if we refrain from needlessly subjecting your readers to unnecessary utilisation of sesquipedalianisms ….

Seriously though, you initially had me worried that my entry might have been ruled out on date grounds - which would have been somewhat irritating, as it's almost complete.

Emailing photos of my completed entry by 12th October isn't likely to be any problem at all for me - in fact, I'm likely to find it much easier than remembering how to post photos of the thing in an RMweb thread.

As for my entry, I'm not expecting it to fare too well in any voting - partly due to the theme(s) being stuff that irritates the **** out of most people on this site (me included) - partly because I've treated the exercise as a chance to experiment with materials not normally associated with railway modelling - partly because I'm not convinced that I really know what I am doing.

Anyway, that's more than enough from me for now.

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

Andy with me being a new member to the forum i was looking forward to having a go at the CBC but I did think it would be an ongoing part of the forum. Will you be planning another challenge for forum members.

Mark

Have a bash, there's two and a half months to go before you have to hand your answer in!

Have a bash, there's two and a half months to go before you have to hand your answer in!

Hroth thanks for the reply i will crack on with my entry. I already have the base built from laminate flooring and some spare offcuts i had lying around in the shed.

Mark

• Like 2

• Administrators

Andy with me being a new member to the forum i was looking forward to having a go at the CBC but I did think it would be an ongoing part of the forum. Will you be planning another challenge for forum members.

Mark

The Cakebox was always intended as a competition which means we need to have a closing date. Final details are being sorted (we had a meeting on Tuesday).

To pick up on a couple of other points raised, we'll need 3 photos including one in a cakebox to prove it fits. There aren't many rules, but the model fitting in the box is the main one and there's no better way of proving this.

Words can include a link to your build thread, in fact, if you have one I'd recommend this.

We will be pretty relaxed about things but we do want a winner at the end of all this. 

With only a single winner, all of them are in place 2 losers. This is somehow not very motivating, because you can actually save yourself from a certain degree of participation. Have you ever thought about forgiving prize deeds? For example, best of the size, or the best ten? Also special innovation there is a lot of praise and motivation to be found, which actually costs nothing.

Still my German problem there is no cakebox here, also applies to my own.

The Cakebox was always intended as a competition which means we need to have a closing date. Final details are being sorted (we had a meeting on Tuesday).

To pick up on a couple of other points raised, we'll need 3 photos including one in a cakebox to prove it fits. There aren't many rules, but the model fitting in the box is the main one and there's no better way of proving this.

Words can include a link to your build thread, in fact, if you have one I'd recommend this.

We will be pretty relaxed about things but we do want a winner at the end of all this. 

Like Bergmann in Germany, in Australia they don't use cake boxes that size so I made my own, but how do you know it is 8" x 8" x 6" unless I put it on the cutting mat that has inch squares marked.

The closing date was mentioned at the beginning and gave us 1 year to produce our entry. Some people build a whole layout in less time than that.

Will the judging be on the BRM Site? over a few weeks? will you explain the voting procedure for us please

I have enjoyed this challenge, learned a lot from looking at other entries and the advice given on my posts by other contributors. I consider myself a winner already, whether others think I am or not does not matter. I have beaten the challenge and produced 2.5 entries. Well done BRM for encouraging us to have a go at something different.

We could do with the call for entries and subsequent clarifications being transferred to Phils pinned and locked "The BRM Cake Box challenge" thread to prevent essential documentation being submerged in the welter of queries.

• Administrators

We could do with the call for entries and subsequent clarifications being transferred to Phils pinned and locked "The BRM Cake Box challenge" thread to prevent essential documentation being submerged in the welter of queries.

That is the plan - I don't think it will stop the queries though. We've got hardly any rules and people are still wondering they apply to them!

• 1 month later...

Just to clarify (sorry!) is it 3 photos maximum? If so this only leaves two general photos and one showing how it fits in the box, whereas presumably an under construction shot might be quite good as well, unless we just link to the thread where these are. Also for my quarry I wonder whether there should be a shot of it in full display/exhibition mode - not directly relevant to the challenge but showing that it forms part of a working layout.

• Like 1