Cakebox Challenge Comp - call for entries

Andy McV

I'm very pleased that I have "the answer to the question" (and my age) as my entry number in the poll :D

Very, very tough choosing three from that lot. This competition seems to have been a real success, and I hope that BRM will come up with something else for us (and hopefully some others!) to have a go at.

• Like 1

There have certainly been some cracking cakebox entries entries, and generally speaking the standard of modelling has been quite excellent :good: . I’ve cast my votes (though of course I’m not going to say who I’ve gone for! :secret: ), and I have to say that I can’t really wait to see which model comes out on top, while I also look forward to a similar challenge(s) in the future. :) 

Edited by Andrew Cockburn

I am a participant and as such I found the vote particularly difficult. That's why I consulted my 8-year-old grandson and let him pick the 3 favorites. I was amazed at how sovereign my grandson did.

I wrote a quick random number generator program and got it to choose three numbers between 1 and 49.  That way I'm guaranteed not to select any of my entries!

If you haven't already noticed, the voting for the BRM Cakebox Challenge has just opened!

Of all the excellent entries posted on these pages, some 49 'boxes have taken the bold step of advancing to the competitive stage. They're all brilliant too, of course, although it seemed that some were only submitted at the last minute and had not been seen on RMweb previously.

I'm sure that 'lurking' is quite within the rules and all models are now subject to the same scrutiny in the court of public opinion. On that note, please head to the link at the top of the page and pick your top three favourite models. In the meantime, we'll get our heads together about the next BRM modelling challenge...

Thanks - to everyone who has taken part

Andy

• Like 4

They are all brilliant in their own way, now I am not a 'Scenic'  modeller but have enjoyed watching each and everyones progress.

Thought I'd be smart before voting ( as we've got till end of month ) and draw up a short list, Haha over an hour to look at all the enries and my short list is 28 strong much head scratching going on now, It's bloody difficult to choose 3 IMHO.

• Like 1

Well! That wasn't easy at all but, I've now cast my votes for The (Great) BRM/RMweb Cakebox Challenge. Absolutely fantastic entries that would grace any living room. What an advertisement for our hobby.

I never did get to finish my two in time - they are still WIP

Well done to all who entered, and also to all that are still giving it a go... I look forward to the next challenge.

Bill

There's no reason why this thread should close down after the competition has finished, especially as there are probably lots of cakeboxes that weren't completed in time. 

The whole challenge has certainly exceeded our initial expectations, so now the challenge is on to think of the next one. We have a couple of vague concepts at present, which may or may not develop into anything. If anyone has any bright ideas in the meantime, I'd certainly be interested to hear them!

Thanks

Andy

• Like 2

There's no reason why this thread should close down after the competition has finished, especially as there are probably lots of cakeboxes that weren't completed in time.

The whole challenge has certainly exceeded our initial expectations, so now the challenge is on to think of the next one. We have a couple of vague concepts at present, which may or may not develop into anything. If anyone has any bright ideas in the meantime, I'd certainly be interested to hear them!

Thanks

Andy

The obvious thing would be to increase the size and say it has to be a working micro layout, although I seem to remember the rationale behind making it a static scene this time round was to make it more accessible for beginners so this aspect would be lost. And the CBC was a great original idea whereas the competition at Swanley has done most of the micro layout types (box file, shoebox, pizza etc.) already.

The obvious thing would be to increase the size and say it has to be a working micro layout, although I seem to remember the rationale behind making it a static scene this time round was to make it more accessible for beginners so this aspect would be lost. And the CBC was a great original idea whereas the competition at Swanley has done most of the micro layout types (box file, shoebox, pizza etc.) already.

Bigger and working and we bump into the "Cameo Layout" bods, which is an entirely different kettle of fish,

(A Class 20 hauling a string of Trout chased by a Shark might have a certain interest.....)

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Powers That Be come up with to wind us all up for next time!

Bigger and working and we bump into the "Cameo Layout" bods, which is an entirely different kettle of fish,

(A Class 20 hauling a string of Trout chased by a Shark might have a certain interest.....)

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Powers That Be come up with to wind us all up for next time!

I now realise I’ve been thinking about it wrong and the actual obvious step is to create dioramas in an even smaller box. Next year we can do a teacup and then get smaller each year, aiming to build dioramas in upturned thimbles by 2030, or working layouts if T gauge has advanced sufficiently. :jester: Joking aside though, I once built a mini diorama on a camera film canister lid on which a single 009 V skip can be displayed.

• Administrators

We looked at Cameo Layouts before Cakeboxing, while joining in would have been possible, we felt that the larger projects would attract fewer entries. Building an 8-inch square model is one thing, a complete layout (even a small one) something different.

The powers that be are head scratching at the moment (see A York's hairstyle) but we have a few ideas.

• Like 1

Oh, and it's the 175th anniversary of the 1844 act instituting the minimum price of a 'penny a mile' for cheap travel on 'parliamentary trains'. I'm not sure if a competition consisting entirely of third class coaches would imbue much excitement though. (A ticket office build-challenge competition)?

Anyway, I feel I missed out, and want to join in if you do something. But it'll have to be small...

• RMweb Gold

Oh, and it's the 175th anniversary of the 1844 act instituting the minimum price of a 'penny a mile' for cheap travel on 'parliamentary trains'.

Are you sure?

I always thought it was a maximum fare - although the rules appear to have changed somewhat over time … .

Huw.

Oh, and it's the 175th anniversary of the 1844 act instituting the minimum price of a 'penny a mile' for cheap travel on 'parliamentary trains'. I'm not sure if a competition consisting entirely of third class coaches would imbue much excitement though. (A ticket office build-challenge competition)?

Anyway, I feel I missed out, and want to join in if you do something. But it'll have to be small...

Build a diorama on a penny*. :jester: A less obscure reference than the size of Locomotion’s cylinders although there could be other issues... I do like the idea of a 9”x24” layout contest though.

*An old penny, obviously. I wasn’t suggesting it should be that small.

• RMweb Gold

Some of those dimensions sound rather small - even by the standards of this section of RMweb.

If you were to start talking "on a theme of a penny", I could imagine some people older than me coming up with ideas for a "Britannia Works", next to a lighthouse - or something similar, inspired by the picture on an old penny.

As for the size of any potential microlayouts, I know there's a certain novelty value (possibly even a sense of achievement) in managing to cram a layout into a very small space - but there are limits to what is reasonably achievable, in terms of space requirements, especially if you want some operating potential.

I always thought 4 square feet (in HO) was regarded as a practical boundary for true microlayouts - with 6 square feet still being regarded as very small (often the preserve of tram layouts and depot scenes).

Certainly, these boundaries seem about right to me - even with a depot scene, I suspect I'd probably struggle to build something with any sort of operating potential (which would work) in less than 6 square feet - even this would probably rely on various "tricks" to save space - so I doubt if I, personally, would attempt any layout challenge which didn't allow this much space.

Of course, other people have their own limits - but I am sure everyone will draw the line somewhere.

Huw.