Cakebox Challenge Comp - call for entries

Andy McV

Have to agree with some of the previous comments re the general standard of modelling, which was quite superb, if not truly excellent, I guess it may be a bit tricky for the judges to come up with an overall winner. And just out of interest, what is the exact date for the announcement of the overall winner?

Without a Cakebox on the go, I'm getting bored....

Perhaps another, "just because"?

:jester:

I agree!! I am still finishing mine and have an idea for a second, but do miss seeing regular Cake Box posts!

Marlyn

• Like 1

• Administrators

Interesting points. We are talking about another competition, but would there be interest in keeping the Cake Box thing going another year? Perhaps we should provide a theme for models? Just thinking at the moment.

And I also have a couple more Cake Box pieces I want to build...

• Like 4

I also have plenty of ideas if only the Cake boxes were not so small. After all, I am building on a scale of 1:22.5 and I would like to stick with it. How about a shoebox just bought me a pair of walking boots in size 12. That would also be a nice size. Now, however, I am looking forward to the evaluation. 

Is there actually more information about the event on the 8th-9th DEZEMBER 2018 in Peterborough.

Interesting points. We are talking about another competition, but would there be interest in keeping the Cake Box thing going another year? Perhaps we should provide a theme for models? Just thinking at the moment.

Its getting near Christmas - a fortified dark fruit cake?

I have several thought about but never built - would certainly enter again if it were to be repeated

Pete

• Like 2

I would definitely enter some more cake boxes if the challenge continued. I don’t know how it would work in terms of not having the same ones again - in a sense this year’s runners up could enter again next year. I don’t necessarily see a problem with this but possibly it could be seen to create an unfair situation. It may work best to rest it and come back next year - A4 size sounds good. I would quite like it to involve a mini working layout but this obviously makes it a bit less accessible to beginners than the CBC. On the other hand, the challenge at Swanley seems to get more entries when it’s a layout than when it’s a static diorama.

• RMweb Gold

I would definitely enter some more cake boxes if the challenge continued. I don’t know how it would work in terms of not having the same ones again

Don't worry about that. It would be easy to run any recurring challenge on a basis of "finish it this year, enter it this year - finish it next year, enter it next year". As entries would be entered only for the year they're completed, there wouldn't be any "rollover" entries.

Saying that, I could imagine a completely different list of people entering each year - people (like me) who are rather more interested in motive power and rolling stock would soon get frustrated if the only challenges on offer were scenery based.

I, certainly, would have no problem with a "rolling" CBC - as long as there's also a challenge that interests me (preferably also "rolling") - but as I've never pretended to be a "scenery modeller", I think I'd be looking for challenges more to my liking.

Huw.

• Like 1

Instead of a cake box, why not size it, say, for A4 paper for 7mm, A5 for 4mm and A6 for 2mm, and if the height needs to be restricted, then width of A4, A5 etc. Of course, you'd miss out on eating the cake...

My 2mm scale Attack of the 60ft Spider from Mars falls between A5 and A6 in area and could have been shrunk to A6 if the constraint existed, but it would have been very limiting.  The problem is that anything bigger than a cakebox would have to be much bigger so movement could be incorporated using available track and points.  I take my hat off to those who had movement in the cakebox format, but it was either forward and back, a very tight circle or, the one in which handmade points made an appearance, even tighter circles!

The main attraction of the Cakebox Challenge is that it provided opportunities for modellers with a broad range of skills to get involved.  it didn't boil down to "do you model in a suitable scale" or "are you comfortable with hand made track".  Lets not make things too difficult for casual modellers!

My 2mm scale Attack of the 60ft Spider from Mars falls between A5 and A6 in area and could have been shrunk to A6 if the constraint existed, but it would have been very limiting. The problem is that anything bigger than a cakebox would have to be much bigger so movement could be incorporated using available track and points. I take my hat off to those who had movement in the cakebox format, but it was either forward and back, a very tight circle or, the one in which handmade points made an appearance, even tighter circles!

The main attraction of the Cakebox Challenge is that it provided opportunities for modellers with a broad range of skills to get involved. it didn't boil down to "do you model in a suitable scale" or "are you comfortable with hand made track". Lets not make things too difficult for casual modellers!

I think operation with a cake box scenic board using proprietary track is possible if you have an additional shunting stick, which could be permitted in any future working layout challenge, with stipulated maximum length. The problem then is that it only really works for 9mm gauge, or 16.5 if all you do is run a loco on and off (how well would 12mm work I wonder?). Obviously 6.5 probably works but T probably doesn’t as it isn’t suitable for shunting and there’s no 4 wheel stock. So then you make the size variable, area pegged to the gauge (for working layouts this makes more sense than variation by scale). The problem now is possibly that the simplicity of the original concept (one of the things that made the CBC good) is lost, and some people in larger gauges could end up building a 4’x4’ board with additional 6ft stick, which isn’t really a micro layout or achievable for a lot of people. The cost could be a deterrent for some people as well - this is partly why I only did two and one was made as part of a ‘proper’ layout, where the cost is worthwhile because it has some use after the challenge. Availability of the Scale Model Scenery baseboard kits was also helpful as it meant I could get that bit done quickly and move on to the scene itself.

I'm pondering if we could repeat the challenge, but narrow things a little with a theme. "Waiting for a train" would be interesting as it's vague enough to allow plenty of interpretation.

This appeals, Phil! As someone who grew up in the 1950s, for whom train travel was the only way to visit family during the school holidays, there are loads of potential scenarios

Marlyn

• RMweb Gold

I'm pondering if we could repeat the challenge, but narrow things a little with a theme. "Waiting for a train" would be interesting as it's vague enough to allow plenty of interpretation. 

Would "waiting for a train to leave, get built, repaired etc" count - and what about trams? (Last time I checked, they run on rails ... .)

As you might have guessed, I've got one or two ideas along these lines - which I probably wouldn't bother building otherwise, as I've got no other use for them. (I think I even mentioned them to you in conversation at "Warley" last year.)

(Of course, this doesn't stop me also hoping for a generic challenge, based around motive power and other stuff that runs on rails - but that's another matter ... .)

Huw.

• Like 1

I like this idea. Various ‘original’ interpretations of ‘waiting for a train’ already spring to mind, ranging from Ivor the Engine with Mr Dinwiddy waiting for his boots to be delivered, to a 1:12 scale scene inside an office at DafT, complete with people waiting to see when the IEP will finally be specified/built/in service (delete according to time period represented). Sorry, went a bit off piste there... :jester: But anyway, I like the idea of having a theme - it gives a twist to it and an extra challenge as I feel otherwise some of the innovation we’ve seen this time round might be lost as people inevitably cover more and more possible ways of building a cake box scene.

• Like 1