Cakebox Challenge Comp - call for entries

Andy McV

• RMweb Gold

Just to clarify (sorry!) is it 3 photos maximum? If so this only leaves two general photos and one showing how it fits in the box, whereas presumably an under construction shot might be quite good as well, unless we just link to the thread where these are. Also for my quarry I wonder whether there should be a shot of it in full display/exhibition mode - not directly relevant to the challenge but showing that it forms part of a working layout.

This is certainly the way I read this, when I submitted my "entry" email last night.

To be honest, though, I wonder if there's any real need for one of the "entry" photos to show an entry in the box - after all, you are linking to your build thread, which is certain to include a photo showing how your entry fits in its box.

As for your entry also being part of a working layout, that sounds like a very clever / unusual feature - certainly something I'd wish to draw attention to - even if this means asking Phil or Andy if they are willing to allow an extra photo to highlight this extra feature.

I, personally, would have no issue with a request like this - after all, you'd effectively be saying that you are submitting the stuff needed to comply with the rules - any shot showing your entry combined with something else would be a separate item (albeit related - if this makes any sense).

Regards,

Huw.

I, personally, would have no issue with a request like this - after all, you'd effectively be saying that you are submitting the stuff needed to comply with the rules - any shot showing your entry combined with something else would be a separate item (albeit related - if this makes any sense).

Regards,

Huw.

I suppose equally if the prototype for your model was something unusual you would include a photo of that. I might send a PM to ask about this.

• Like 1

• Administrators

To help people understand what we are doing, I've set up a sample page here:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/information/cake-box-challenge-filming-the-titfield-thunderbolt-by-phil-parker

As you can see, it includes 3 photos of the model and your text cut'n'pasted around them. 

When you e-mail your stuff in, it will be passed to me to make up the page - so 3 photos are the maximum and I'm not going to edit your text. There are potentially 100 of these to do and I don't have time to do any more.

You can include links to threads on any forum where you've been building your model. As far as showing that your efforts will fit in a cake box, we are flexible on how you do this. Ideally show the model in a box, but at least one person is using rulers in the shot. We are not going to make the decision, that will be up to the voters, if they think you've bent the rules too far, they won't vote for you. 

Once I start making pages, there will be a page listing all the entries in alphabetical order by surname. This will be made live as soon as it's live and added to as entries arrive. I'll add pages as soon as I can BUT there may be a delay if I have other work on. Throw a tantrum because you e-mailed 20 minutes ago and it's not on-line yet and you'll go to the back of the queue. It doesn't really matter, this isn't the voting system. Of course, if you get in early, the chances are more people will see your model and you can start telling people about it on social media ready for voting to open. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the clarification.

However....  The cakebox is specified to be 8" square.  Whats the permitted vertical height?  I'm sure I've seen 6" mentioned somewhere, but I can't remember seeing where.  Its just that the tallest construction on one of my proposed entries is well under that, but the demonstration 8" cakebox I recently obtained is only 5" high, which makes my entry look too big vertically when posed in the box!

Would this be a problem?

Thanks for the clarification.

However.... The cakebox is specified to be 8" square. Whats the permitted vertical height? I'm sure I've seen 6" mentioned somewhere, but I can't remember seeing where. Its just that the tallest construction on one of my proposed entries is well under that, but the demonstration 8" cakebox I recently obtained is only 5" high, which makes my entry look too big vertically when posed in the box!

Would this be a problem?

Also, what happens if somebody uses a box in the same proportions but at a slightly larger size? OK, I wouldn't expect anyone to do this sort of thing but the point is that the box doesn't have anything on it showing it is 8x8x6 and similar boxes are made in other sizes, so showing the model in a box doesn't automatically demonstrate its eligibility for the challenge.

• Administrators

Also, what happens if somebody uses a box in the same proportions but at a slightly larger size? OK, I wouldn't expect anyone to do this sort of thing but the point is that the box doesn't have anything on it showing it is 8x8x6 and similar boxes are made in other sizes, so showing the model in a box doesn't automatically demonstrate its eligibility for the challenge.

We specified a 6 inch box at the start. If you've used a different one, it doesn't qualify. That said, short of demanding every model is sent in, there's nothing else we can do if people think the very simple rules don't apply to them, we'll have to rely on voters to judge

Phil' Who will be the voters and how are the votes to be cast?  :)

Online voting here and with voters choosing their first, second and third favourite entries. All will be explained as part of the voting process.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Phil' Who will be the voters and how are the votes to be cast?  :)

Online voting here and with voters choosing their first, second and third favourite entries. All will be explained as part of the voting process.

I don't know about anybody else, but I've got no intention of voting for my own entry (I wouldn't, even if my entry were any good ...).

In fact, I'd prefer not to vote at all - partly because, as an entrant, I could be "conflicted" - partly because there are so many first rate entries that it would be difficult for me not to vote for most of them.

I think I'll leave the voting for other people - hopefully people who know a lot more about scenery modelling than I do.

Huw.

I tend to agree, but if we don't vote for each others entries, then who's going to vote at all?  Or are we supposed to range over RMweb, canvassing for votes in the various topics we habitually visit?

And in the tradition of political elections, unlike the Eurovision Song Contest, surely there should be one vote cast that you can rely on!  :jester:

Oh well, I'll be submitting my entries in the next couple of weeks.  Let the Fates Decide!!!

• Administrators

Not voting for yourself would be polite, but since you can only vote one (Andy says your computer will explode and you'll end up a GWR modeller if you try to vote twice) if we get enough votes, it won't make any real difference.

What will be helpful is if everyone tells as many people as possible about the competition when voting opens. It would be nice to make a noise that says "RMweb is the home of good modelling". There are some brilliant models in this competition, even "normal" people will appreciate them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thats good, none of my attempts even approach that category!  :scared:

Don't worry - they are better than mine.

Anyway, I suspect the real objective of this challenge was to encourage people to have a go at scenery modelling.

In my case, I added another objective - an excuse to experiment with novel materials and methods - the more novel and non-standard the better.

As far as I am concerned, both of these objectives have been well and truly satisfied - so I see it as "job done".

Regards,

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Not voting for yourself would be polite, but since you can only vote one (Andy says your computer will explode and you'll end up a GWR modeller if you try to vote twice) if we get enough votes, it won't make any real difference.

There's nothing wrong with modelling GWR - especially if this includes "razor edge" railcars (the only sort of "razor edge" I ever wish to see).

Add to this the fact that you can never get too much "Diesel & Electric" (or at least "internal combustion") modelling - and another exciting topic for a future challenge presents itself. That's right - pioneer Diesel or petrol railbuses (scale, semiscale or freelance).

Now they could make an excellent theme for next year's BRM / RMweb challenge - especially if followed up by postwar / modern / "concept", then narrow gauge.

Unfortunately, I'm not expecting to see these themes in the next few years - but there's nothing to stop me hoping … .

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

I mentioned it elsewhere, my biggest win will be a working Cakebox model and with that I can finally show a real scene from the mine. I hardly see a chance for the only profit, because for that, my subject is far too far away from what is considered interesting here. The different scales and gauges are far too different. Remains the reason why should I ever do my job to submit my model?

I mentioned it elsewhere, my biggest win will be a working Cakebox model and with that I can finally show a real scene from the mine. I hardly see a chance for the only profit, because for that, my subject is far too far away from what is considered interesting here. The different scales and gauges are far too different. Remains the reason why should I ever do my job to submit my model?

As the saying goes "it's not the winning, but the taking part" so by submitting a project to the vote it increases awareness of your work (which I found interesting!) to readers who may not have seen it. Even if you don't win there's certainly nothing to lose.

• Like 3

The "taking part" is the main thing.  My efforts are all trials for layouts that are under way or are being considered for the future.  The Challenge has encouraged me to get some things done to move forward*, even though I do tend to leave things until the final deadline is looming...

* Mainly what does and doesn't work and what might make the non-working things work!

• Like 2

Andy with me being a new member to the forum i was looking forward to having a go at the CBC but I did think it would be an ongoing part of the forum. Will you be planning another challenge for forum members.

Mark

The Cakebox Challenge is open to anybody, but RMWeb is where it largely resides. It's been a success, as you'll have seen from the many pages of top-notch entries, so we'll certainly find something to replace. We're concocting a couple of ideas at the moment - no details yet, but it'll be something you'll be able to have fun with.

Regards

Andy

• Like 2

The Cakebox Challenge is open to anybody, but RMWeb is where it largely resides. It's been a success, as you'll have seen from the many pages of top-notch entries, so we'll certainly find something to replace. We're concocting a couple of ideas at the moment - no details yet, but it'll be something you'll be able to have fun with.

Regards

Andy

I think it's largely been successful because of the small size (so everyone has time/space to build one) and the openness of the brief - no restrictions on prototype, scale etc (although I suppose technically the small space discourages people from building their coal yard scene in Gauge 1, for instance, but that's not really the same thing). Regarding some previous comments, hopefully voters will choose based on the standard of modelling, effectiveness of the scene etc rather than whether they like the particular prototype.

Maybe i can try to get more involved and make something for your next challenge, whatever it may be? :scared: I've really enjoyed looking at and watching almost on a day to day basis the entries progress, and so far i have learned a lot from them. :)   

I've got to the point where two of my attempts are at the point of "enter 'em or they'll never be 'finished'", which will allow me to complete the third, as far as completion goes...  :jester:

Sooooo....  Just need to take some snaps and update the blogs then I can formally enter them and relax..... 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I've taken all the entries we have received so far and set up a page here:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/information/brm-cake-box-challenge-list-of-entries

Which lists each one and then links to the page I've set up for them. Head over there and have a look at the competition. I'll be adding more pages as we receive details from the builders. 

Please note: Not everyone sent in photos showing how the model fits in the box despite use asking for them. I've still posted these. Anyone who didn't send an overall photo AND didn't send a pic of the model in the box has been asked to re-submit.

• Like 4