Cakebox Challenge Comp - call for entries

Andy McV

• RMweb Gold

As a lurker, can I point out that 2019 is the 100th anniversary of the first parliamentary Bill being brought for the Stockton and Darlington railway, and that (as a forexample of something that might be S&D related) Locomotion No 1's cylinders were 9 x 24in...

I'm sure it's a typo, but you mean 200th anniversary.

Build a diorama on a penny*. :jester: A less obscure reference than the size of Locomotion’s cylinders although there could be other issues... I do like the idea of a 9”x24” layout contest though.

*An old penny, obviously. I wasn’t suggesting it should be that small.

Does my profile picture count as a diorama?

I must say I like TurboSnail’s “penny” concept, though maybe this is pushing the modelling boundaries a wee bit! Or maybe something could be done in Z scale, even just a very short siding or two? Possibly then a bit of food for thought!

Slightly off-subject, I just thought that viewers of this site/my fellow modellers in general, at least those who may live where I do, i.e. in North East England, might be interested to know that my OO Gauge interactive shunting layout, “Short Street Sidings”, which features elsewhere on this site, is appearing at the Durham Locomotive Preservation Group’s annual model railway exhibition on the 27th & 28th October 2018. The venue is Whitworth Park School, Spennymoor (DL16 7NL), 10AM - 4PM on both days, so if any of my fellow “cakebox” modellers or modellers in general were able to get to the show, it would be great to meet up with them, and they could possibly also try their hands at a spot of shunting! :) 

I'm sure it's a typo, but you mean 200th anniversary.

Same as I said to Huw … clearly I wasn't having a good evening for sentience.

I think of my two proposals, I'd personally, as someone who studied Victorian political history (ie so I'm weird) prefer the 1844 Railway Reform Act … with a general brief to do 'something' related to it, based on a scene located somewhere in the UK (not Ireland, which had its own railway legislation) in a period anytime _after_ 1844.

You could then have liberty to do anything related to third class travel, carriages with roofs, the sale of tickets or the carriage and stowage of luggage (the act allowed people to  up to a certain amount of luagge for free).

Just voted - very difficult to decide though. How many non-competitors do we think have voted so far?

I've just been for a quick nosey and just over 240 people have taken the time and trouble to look through and cast votes which is pleasing.

• Like 5

It certainly was time consuming Andy but enjoyable my 'short list' wasn't very short, then i had to go through short list and award points from 0-10 resulting in 5 x 10 out of 10 and the rest nothing below 8 out of 10. Picking 3 out of 5 was hard and even harder was puting 3 in order of preference.

• Like 2

I've just been for a quick nosey and just over 240 people have taken the time and trouble to look through and cast votes which is pleasing.

A quick and dirty calculation shows that more people have cast votes than started a cakebox entry, let alone finished and entered one. That's surely already a good result, and an indication that dioramas and micros, as a challenge in general, are a good thing. For many, I am sure, attempting an entry has been an exercise in trying new techniques or materials. For others, an ideal showcase for their talents and particular interests

Many of the entries would grace a coffee table, shelf unit or sideboard as a conversation piece - a "this is what I like to do". Some of the entries, in my opinion, works of art. 

Well done to the organisers for setting this challenge, and well done to everyone that has taken part.

• Like 1

The good thing is that such a cake box model can even be transported in hand luggage on the plane. I have a bit longer way to the UK.

One reason for the participation was for me that I could use the finished model for marketing purposes for our "Monastery Studs" Association and by the easy transportability it can be used quickly and everywhere. I was able to make a first Test at the annual meeting of the Working Group narrow gauge in Gmünd Austria, where I am also a member.

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 1

I would have a bit further than Bergman to travel but it sounds good. I could combine it with visiting Family and friends in the UK.

I really enjoyed entering this comp as I did not have to send in or bring the entry to a point, well done BRM.

I learned a lot about composition of cameos for my layout and techniques to model scenery and felt the other competitors were very helpful and encouraging to each other.

Well done everyone  :good:  :fan:

In response to moonlight’s point re a collective noun for cakeboxes, how about the following suggestions:

A spread of cakeboxes?

Many slices of cake?

A feast of cakeboxes?

Cakebox collection?

Cakebox compilation?

Cakebox consumption?

Just a bit of “food” for thought - and as for whoever ends up winning the competition, they may well say that it was a “cakewalk!” :laugh: 

• Like 2

Wow. Some fantastic modelling. It was very difficult to even narrow it down to three let alone pick a winner. In the end I limited myself to a shortlist based on one each of overall scene setting, innovation and modelling. Well done to everyone who entered.

• Like 1

Not long left to vote, folks, so please follow the link at the top of the page to make your choices. 

I've made mine, although I couldn't possibly say what they were. Meantime, it'd be great to have a few of the top choices at Warley. We'll bring some of ours along, if only to prove the original concept that anyone could have a crack at a cakebox! 

Cheers

Andy

• Like 2