Cakebox Challenge Comp - call for entries

Andy McV

• Administrators

OK, we're going to publish the final result in the January issue of BRM - the one that appears in December 6th.

In the meantime, I've got to go into the office this week so I'll be trying to liberate some more prizes and am determined to announce some of those on RMweb and in BRM Express. 

Now I just need to go and work out the next challenge...

• Like 6

Will the results be published on here the same day ?

More to the point, will there be an embargo on the digital edition. seeing as that usually gets loose several days before the paper one?  :jester:

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

Should we bring the cake boxes to Warley or Peterborough as others have suggested?

Stand space at Warley is likely to be problematic but Phil will confirm. We can certainly make sure there is space enough for visitors at Peterborough to get a good look.

• Administrators

Stand space at Warley is likely to be problematic but Phil will confirm. We can certainly make sure there is space enough for visitors at Peterborough to get a good look.

I'll check up on this when I'm in the office later this week. My guess is that Warley will be a no, but we'll see what we can do at Peterborough. Stand space is cheaper for us there!

• Administrators

Maybe we should be clear about the contents before asking Phil to make room for cakeboxes .......

I'm still (mostly) off cake. It made taking a photo for Garden Rail tricky.

PieSmall.jpg

You can't buy 1 pie, you have to buy 6, so 5 spares! Fortunately I don't actually like mince pies very much, so not eating them is no hardship.

• RMweb Gold

More to the point, will there be an embargo on the digital edition. seeing as that usually gets loose several days before the paper one?  :jester:

Digital readers already know the results. We received a secret link to a video announcing them.

post-738-0-67896900-1541452678_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

Digital readers already know the results. We received a secret link to a video announcing them.

:nono: :nono: :nono:

No, no, that's just...

I think the word you're looking for is ... scary.

Is that the Aldi Xmas Teacosy?

Not likely - I always thought that one features Kevin the Carrot (of course, it might have been a Coke truck - or perhaps some scene from "The Italian Job").

Joking aside, I seem to recall getting through rather a lot of their standard deep-fill mince pies last year - well I wanted to save my relatives from the risk of putting on weight. Anyway, I went for the healthy option - instead of custard, I opted for some Lidl Greek style yogurt (more than I'd care to mention, actually) ... .

Let's face it, if next month's "free cover DVD" * features a couple of guys (in dodgy black t-shirts and even dodgier hats) trying to appear "festive", I might not be quite so worried about DVD-gate and its sequel(s). In fact, I might not even be quite so worried about trying to find my "World of Railways" login stuff.

(* Probably not available to newsstand print magazine customers.)

Anyway, with that photo, it's just as well there isn't a caption competition - you could imagine some of the suggestions we'd all be forced to wade through:

• "Welcome to the festive unboxing video - this time featuring a box of Christmas crackers." (Well, I guess it could be marginally less exciting. It could be a video of a quality control test - involving a Lidl Christmas pudding and a tub of Greek style yogurt, from the same source. I know I wouldn't be watching such a quality control video - but, if I were conducting the tests, I certainly wouldn't want some guy a few paces away with a camcorder ... .)
  • Some "Smashie & Nicey" style double-act - comparing the relative merits of the contents of this month's "free cover DVD" * with all the usual festive turkeys on the gogglebox.
  • A contrived exchange about some seasonal layout cakebox: "We all know what scale that one's in." "That's right - the same as all those Crimbo scenes - HO! HO! HO!" "Yeah, yeah. That's a cracker!" (Or should that be stollen from a cracker?) "It's the way I tell 'em!" (Groan!)

Seriously though, it's probably just as well we're not in for that sort of rubbish ... .

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

Got some "Kevin" foldaway shopping bags last year, cute stocking fillers!  I wonder what Kevin merchandise will emerge this year.

Its about time the BBC resurrected SproutBoy too!

I should imagine that the dynamic duo will be hosting a "stocking fillers under £X" feature, for the railway enthusiast who doesn't have everything!

Oh bother, there's only 49 more shopping days to Christmas!

• RMweb Gold

After the fuss about "sloshed Kevin" a while back, I wouldn't put it past Aldi to have Kevin rescued by the traffic cops - and done for drink-driving.

Joking aside, I think those "CG veg adventures" are great - I'd like to see more from them - despite the fact that I've never enjoyed carrots or sprouts. (Strange then, that I often enjoy carrot cake … .)

As for the DVD stuff, I reckon that one major problem is that few things look or sound less festive than people trying to appear festive (especially if this stuff is actually being filmed in the middle of August).

Huw.

• Administrators

I notice the plural here. I thought there was only going to be one winner.

One main winner, voted for by the public. That's what will be announced in the magazine.

Other winners will be judged by the BRM team, categories based on the prizes we have to give away. To be honest, we were surprised how many entries came in and how good the stadard was. That and we've got stuff in the office cupboard and either it sits there or we give them away. The later sounds better to me as a thank you for all your efforts. 

There will also be a spread of entries in the January issue - I'm working on it right now.

• Like 2

would this not give clowns an unfair advantage?

Just get yourself a Red Nose Day nose and an orange wig and use any size shoebox you like!

(Provided you're willing to provide a photograph so attired...)

• Administrators

There are all really good.

I tend to judge a show by deciding if there are layouts I would like to build, or wish I had built.

I can honestly say that with the Cake Box entries, this is definitely the case. Some really superb modelling. 

• Like 1

I tend to judge a show by deciding if there are layouts I would like to build, or wish I had built.

I can honestly say that with the Cake Box entries, this is definitely the case. Some really superb modelling.

Maybe we should actually have a show with the cake box entries and related mini layouts. At least now it’s over I can get back to consuming some of the cake boxes’ more traditional contents - I feel that cake is another important criterion for judging an exhibition... :jester:

Joking aside, is it true that digital readers already have the results and if so are the winners themselves going to be told?

• Like 1