Railways on Canvas - the art of Chris Pulham

Rob Pulham

The Science Museum have been keeping us busy this week going over final details for Chris Pulham's forthcoming Railway Art Exhibition to be hosted by the NRM at Locomotion in Shildon, County Durham.

42481064335_7db7f255b6_z.jpg

I have been doing some advertising on Chris's behalf and as a result she had an article in this months Heritage Railway and next month she will have centre spread in the Best of British magazine and a mention in Leisure Painter Magazine.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Oh how your accent can get you into trouble, well not really trouble but it had an amusing outcome.

Best of British Magazine did a wonderful article for Chris about her exhibition and the reproduction of her paintings are really superb for a magazine. 

Chris he had an interview over the telephone, where she was describing suffering and recovering from ME. In the article it makes reference to Chris having to give up her job due to illness and recovering from trouble with her "knee" so somewhere in translation "ME" became "My Knee". It doesn't detract from a wonderful centre spread article but it did make us laugh.

post-6713-0-48092000-1533236486_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations!

They look to have done Christene proud with that Show. Clever the way it is designed to hold its own in scale against the locomotives.

Did anyone comment on her "full on" painting of the Deltic against the Shildon glazing echoing the classic Hollywood years of David Hockney's portraiture?

dh

SWMBO and I were there for the opening. They really have laid out a good show and it's worth the trip to Shildon just to see Chris' paintings. Worth it to see Chris as well - completely transformed in the time I've known her. I hope the exhibition does well for her both professionally and personally.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
At the opening of the exhibition my neighbour very kindly offered to video the event and turn it into a short film. He sent me a link to the finished production last night. - I now realise just how nervous I really was despite not really feeling it at the time....

Edited by Rob Pulham
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for reminding us Rob how quickly September is passing.  The video you posted of Christene’s show did well in recording the show’s opening, and was really good at  showing how well the hang worked in a dialogue with the actual full size locomotives grouped around. Particularly effective was deciding to end with Christene’s own words about her show.

I’d like Christene to how much visitors to Shildon were enjoying her paintings the afternoon  we visited; some I saw returned several times to re-aquaint themselves with aspects of her work.

The dramatic light and shade painting i kept revisiting was her full-on array of GN N2 front ends on shed composed as an extrovert centre-point perspective.

You have every right to be proud.

dh