Hornby Class 50 - Two Types?

I've actually got D400 on the bench now for renumber/weathering, the working fan was a gimic which for D400 Hornby removed the drive gubbins but left the plastic housing thingy. Another difference and more importantly obvious one is the engine room circular vent, for some reason Hornby used a correct nonheadlight/dynamic brake fitted shell for D400 but added this vent. I've carefully cut it off making it a very easy pre refurb conversion. The nice thing is(from a modelling perpective) BR added names without bothering to much about appearence. If you buy any 50 be careful when opening the packaging buffers seem to fall off very easily. Follow the instructions when removing the body, the ETH cable unplugs from the body. I've also found the brake cylinders can be dislodged when painting/weathering and are quite small. A scruffy 50011 with name will appear soon complete with D411 and various double arrows showing through the paint.

Edited by w124bob

A distinct difference concerns the wheels, early ones had traction tyres.

Mike.

That is something I didn't realise having based my comment on D400 on the workbench and pictures of other Hornby class 50's.

• RMweb Gold

A distinct difference concerns the wheels, early ones had traction tyres.

Mike.

Really? When did they change? I have 5*, including what I thought were early versions, none having traction tyres.

Roy

* 50007 (original), 50013, 50037, 50149 & D400

• RMweb Premium

The rubber band drive taken off the main drive shaft to the rotating fans was a pain in the proverbial seating arrangements and many including I snipped the rubber band which improved running characteristics.  It seems Hornby listened and binned this silly feature on later builds as well, it is a pity the dire poseable side radiator fan gimmick remained,

• RMweb Gold

Really? When did they change? I have 5*, including what I thought were early versions, none having traction tyres.

Roy

I have three:

R2349 - 50035 Ark Royal [LLB] - came with traction tyres - since fitted with plain wheelsets.

R2350 - 50045 Achilles [NSE] - came with traction tyres - not yet replaced. 

50007 Sir Edward Elgar - came s/h missing the box insert. Has plain wheels and it's been worked over in other ways but I think it started out as R2408.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Roy

The first 3 releases had traction tyres, of which I have 2, 50035 & 50018 ( now renumbered & renamed to 50014 Warspite.

I have three:

R2349 50035 Ark Royal [LLB] - came with traction tyres - since fitted with plain wheelsets.

R2350 - 50045 Achilles [NSE] - came with traction tyres - not yet replaced. 

50007 Sir Edward Elgar - came s/h missing the box insert. Has plain wheels and it's been worked over in other ways but I think it started out as R2408.

John

Hi John,

What wheelsets did you use for replacements on 50035?  I know there's Ultrascale,  but wondered if there is an alternative.

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

What wheelsets did you use for replacements on 50035?  I know there's Ultrascale,  but wondered if there is an alternative.

Regards

John

I got them via my local Hornby dealer ages ago, AFAIK he got them direct from Hornby but nobody seems to have them now, only complete drive units.

Should have got two sets while I had the chance :O as I think they are prone to ripping the tyres up if worked hard.

My Achilles currently doesn't work for a living, so it's not an issue at present.

John

Hi John,

Regards

John

Perhaps try finding an EM/P4 modeller that has replaced the wheel sets and still has the originals ? 

Hi John,

Regards

John

I found a couple of s/h spare Class 50 bogies on eBay.  Unfortunately both were early ones with tyres.

However, with a punch and light hammer I was able to separate wheels from axles - then made up 6 wheelsets without tyres using back to back gauge, making sure gears were positioned the right way round on the axles.  From memory they are offset.

Edited by cravensdmufan

Perhaps try finding an EM/P4 modeller that has replaced the wheel sets and still has the originals ? 

Good idea.  Perhaps post a request in the "Wanted" listings on this site.  I've done that before for other bits, and found fellow members are very helpful.

• RMweb Premium

There's also a load of internal differences with the 50's, there's 3 or 4 (at least!) different circuit board styles, 8 pin DCC sockets, 12 pin DCC sockets which I've never noticed on any other Hornby loco!

IIRC factory sound fitted 50015 in 'Dutch' livery was wired common -ve instead of the more usual common +ve (or the other way round, DCC isn't my strongpoint !!). I bought one secondhand with the sound removed and had to un-solder the marker light LED bulbs, turn them 180* and re-solder them, to make them function correctly.

I too tend to snip the rubber band drive for the fan, as it causes excessive drag on the mechanism, leading to poor running.

But the most obvious issue with the fan is it should be Yellow not Red, which is a detail I was only able to confirm after I'd modelled about 3/4 of the class, so had to take them all apart again to paint it. :O  :O

I've only 4 left to complete for a 'full house' !! :sungum:

Cheers,

Phil.