Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Packaging madness

The problem I find with this trend to 'over pack' goods is that the extra packaging is only really of any use if the item is actually packed properly inside - and by packed properly I mean with the item placed in the centre of the package with bubblewrap/air bags all around (ie. covering all sides of the item).  I have received items packed similar to the picture above but with the item placed right in one corner of the box with the rest of the pack filled out - all fine if the package happens to receive a blow to one specific edge of the outer package, but if struck on any of the other three edges, or the corner where the item sits, then the goods inside still only have the thickness of the outer carton at that point as protection, which for all intents and purposes is usually pretty minimal by way of offering any real cushioning.

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

I used to be a postie. We looked after parcels in my offices. I have seen and been on the end of some woeful service from couriers.

I also seen and delivered a lot of woefully packaged items.

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad it's not just me!

I just think Hatton's would save themselve a ton of money if they invest in a few jiffy bags.

Peter

Hattons have probably saved themselves lots of money by having standard sized packaging. I guess they've worked out that they don't have too many small orders to warrant jiffy bags or similar.  After all, their primary business is as a box-shifter.

I'm pretty certain that when I saw their packing line, it had a machine that applied the final bit of tape - probably not a task that can be automated too easily with the vagaries of a jiffy bag. 

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Standard sized packaging is a god send. I work in the Motorsport-Tools.com warehouse, Where boxes are 90% whatever can be recylcled from deliveries in. Packaging must be kept to a strict minimum and most of the stock is irregular in shape and has no packaging of its own. We have only in the last 12 months managed to persuade management to buy in boxes to take bonnets, boots and wings and they are invaluable in reducing in transit damage and packaging costs, not to mention saving upwards of a an hour of labour time in having to fabricate from smaller boxes or even scraps of card a suitable package for them. One of my first days on the job saw 3 of us engaged on one single order spending 2 whole hours (So 6 hours labour!) to package a particularly awkward set of heavy mechanical components and delicate, flimsy body panels, all having to be fabricated from the box pile. 

If we had to stock a box of every shape and size to suit every possible combination of orders though, we would need another, much larger, warehouse just to house the necessary cardboard! 

• 1 month later...