Steel AB/SAA Question

Guest teacupteacup

Guest teacupteacup

Hi All

Im looking for some information on Steel AB/SAA wagons. Did any of these survive unti the late 80's/early 90's in their original form, carrying steel?

Edited by teacupteacup

Hi All

Im looking for some information on Steel AB/SAA wagons. Did any of these survive unti the late 80's/early 90's in their original form, carrying steel?

I've never seen any evidence of them doing so. The only photos of them I've seen of them carrying steel was of the wagons used on a flow of hot-reduced coil from Ravenscraig  to Trostre. This use supposedly stopped after a spectacular derailment at the foot of Beattock bank; the person connecting the brake pipes coupled all the vac through pipes, rather than the air-pipes

The only other revenue traffic I've seen evidence of them being used for was of tractors from Case at Doncaster to Sheerness; some of the David Larkin wagon books have a few shots. A few unmodified wagons found service as Runner, Reach or Match wagons, with side-stakes horizontal and ends sometimes removed.

I do wonder if their apparent lack of success was because the one traffic for which they were best suited, that of 4" Engineers Bar, was produced in mills with very sharp curves (Duport at Llanelli and Brymbo, near Wrexham), which these wagons would have had problems accessing, due to their long fixed wheelbase.

I've never seen any evidence of them doing so. The only photos of them I've seen of them carrying steel was of the wagons used on a flow of hot-reduced coil from Ravenscraig  to Trostre. This use supposedly stopped after a spectacular derailment at the foot of Beattock bank; the person connecting the brake pipes coupled all the vac through pipes, rather than the air-pipes

The only other revenue traffic I've seen evidence of them being used for was of tractors from Case at Doncaster to Sheerness; some of the David Larkin wagon books have a few shots. A few unmodified wagons found service as Runner, Reach or Match wagons, with side-stakes horizontal and ends sometimes removed.

I do wonder if their apparent lack of success was because the one traffic for which they were best suited, that of 4" Engineers Bar, was produced in mills with very sharp curves (Duport at Llanelli and Brymbo, near Wrexham), which these wagons would have had problems accessing, due to their long fixed wheelbase.

Many different uses. but not as steel carriers except for coil. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsaakta

PS the title needs altering to SAA

Paul

• Like 1

Guest teacupteacup

Thanks for the replies 

Latest pic I can find of one in revenue service is 1983 on Paul's site, was hoping around 89/90 to make use of a couple of Hornby examples!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies 

Latest pic I can find of one in revenue service is 1983 on Paul's site, was hoping around 89/90 to make use of a couple of Hornby examples!

Get some Bachmann BDAs and you can make use of loads of them

Most I saw were converted to runners.  Here is one running as a ZXA, it had something strapped to the deck.  It might have been a lifting beam of some kind, can't remember, it was 17 years ago.

ZCA DC 400053 Toton 5th July 2001, note steps fitted on either end. 

post-2484-0-04305700-1531609830_thumb.jpg

The same wagon on 16th January 2004

post-2484-0-04974700-1531609831.jpg

Some were converted for carrying containers.  here as FPA 400081 at Ely Potters on 22nd September 2003

post-2484-0-09380800-1531609829_thumb.jpg

I have a selection of these on my flickr site, I have no restrictions on downloads.....

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=55938574%40N03&text=4000&view_all=1

• Like 1