Having completed my indexing of locomotives, I have found only one 14" example. Edith HE 1482 (1925) was first of class built for one of Charlesworths Rothwell collieries.

I may have found an earlier 14" IC- Hunslet 1450 which went to Shipley Colliery in Derbyshire.  I've got a picture of it out of use in my Flickr favourites.  

BTW Michael, is your Hunslet 14" in 4mm or 7mm as I will definitely buy one- to compare when finished with my scratchbuilt version (I know your's will be better).

Can't download the picture, so here's the link- Hunslet 1450 at Coppice Colliery OOU 1965.  I don't think it's a 15" so it must be 14" IC but it can be hard to tell sometimes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31514768@N05/8503682393/sizes/h/

Don Townsley's list has 1450 as a 15" of 1935. Originally named Mary she was delivered new to Shipley Colliery Derbyshire.

My guess is that the 14" were not quite big enough for colliery use.

Another "Airedale"- thought it was a bit too chunky to be a 14" IC but wasn't sure.

The 14" ICs working in the coal industry- to my knowledge- were HE1482 (Dora) at Middleton Broom/Old Roundwood, HE1499 (Cecil Levita) at Dodworth, HE1643 (Bramley No.4) at Dodworth/North Gawber/Darton Opencast Screens and HE1672 at Frickley/New Monckton. 

Another "Airedale"- thought it was a bit too chunky to be a 14" IC but wasn't sure.

The 14" ICs working in the coal industry- to my knowledge- were HE1482 (Dora) at Middleton Broom/Old Roundwood, HE1499 (Cecil Levita) at Dodworth, HE1643 (Bramley No.4) at Dodworth/North Gawber/Darton Opencast Screens and HE1672 at Frickley/New Monckton.

Sorry, Dora is another 15" supplied.new.to Waterloo colliery in 1923

• RMweb Premium

A few answers to the above:

HE 1643 is a 14" OC 0-6-0ST

HE 1506 does have some features in common with the 18" saddle tanks so you may well be right.

post-1643-0-89677900-1543489863_thumb.png

At present we only do the 14" in 4mm scale, the 15" is available in 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, S 1:64 and 7mm scales. The 16" will be available in 7mm next year.

• Like 4

I take it that the HE 1643 entry in Don's book is a typo rather than a subsequent rebuild as a side tank.

Also thinking that if Riddles had based his design on 1506, every heritage line would have its own blue engine! Sadly, despite the appeal I cannot see myself getting round to tis one. Pity as it looks an easy conversion from a 48150 kit.

Interim pocket book 8A: NCB West & North Yorkshire. My focus of interest are the locomotives of #8 area Castleford.

Don's list has 1686 aka Mowlem as a 14" sidetank from 1931. There are 12 on the.list. The first four for Haifa, the remainder for John Mowlem & Co on a Southampton dock contract.

The order book is a bit congested here but there's no mention of rebuilding with different tanks.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-29 at 14.44.46.png

One important difference about the 18" side tank is that it has a belpaire firebox, the saddle tanks were all round top.

Did Hunslet use many belpaire boxes? Was this about the time they were contract building jinties for LMS?

Some more info on Brookes No1

taken from "Brooke's Industrial Railways",  by S.A. Leleux, Locomotive Papers No 63,Oakwood Press

quote......"The Government directed the order (27 Sept.1940) to the Hunslet Engine Co. of Leeds.... Brookes No 1 was dispatched on 29th July 1941, works No. 2387.

It was an 0-6-0 st with 14" x 20" cylinders, 3 ft 4 inch wheels and 160 psi boiler pressure. Steam brakes and dumb buffers were fitted and livery was Hunslet's standard green...."

It worked on site until closure c.1969; 

Some more info on Brookes No1

taken from "Brooke's Industrial Railways",  by S.A. Leleux, Locomotive Papers No 63,Oakwood Press

quote......"The Government directed the order (27 Sept.1940) to the Hunslet Engine Co. of Leeds.... Brookes No 1 was dispatched on 29th July 1941, works No. 2387.

It was an 0-6-0 st with 14" x 20" cylinders, 3 ft 4 inch wheels and 160 psi boiler pressure. Steam brakes and dumb buffers were fitted and livery was Hunslet's standard green...."

It worked on site until closure c.1969;

Given that it is only a 20 minute drive, I must get round to revisiting the Middleton. Last time was almost 30 years ago for a Santa special. We had tickets for Embsay but heavy snow made the journey impossible. The day was saved by the Middleton. A small diesel struggled with a single brake van and two families. By our return the snow was sufficient to cancel any further running for the day.

My only fear is that I might come back with another dose of the Manning Wardles.

• RMweb Premium

Michael,

I've seen mention elsewhere of 1643 being a 14 x 20 OC, however the picture of it at Shipton on Cherwell has it with inside cylinders.  A mistake in Hunslet's own records, or did perhaps works plates get mixed up during the years (like Hunslety 3302 in latter years?).

Talking to Don Townsley on Saturday I got the answer to this immediately. He remembered 1643 as an ex Haifa 14" OC which he rebuilt in 1952/3 and sent on to Peru, the one at Shipston on Cherwell was an inside cylinder 14", also ex Haifa. He did say that he remembered a report from the 1950s that the IC one (HE1649) was seen carrying the works plates from 1643. I also asked him about 1506 and the boiler was based on the Jinty boilers Hunslet were building at that time.

Talking to Don Townsley on Saturday I got the answer to this immediately. He remembered 1643 as an ex Haifa 14" OC which he rebuilt in 1952/3 and sent on to Peru, the one at Shipston on Cherwell was an inside cylinder 14", also ex Haifa. He did say that he remembered a report from the 1950s that the IC one (HE1649) was seen carrying the works plates from 1643. I also asked him about 1506 and the boiler was based on the Jinty boilers Hunslet were building at that time.

Thanks for that.

• RMweb Premium

Don was quite happy to let me post these photos, 1643 is his own taken outside the erecting shop with the multi gauge track in the foreground before the drawgear was altered for Central Railway of Peru, 1649 at Shipston on Cherwell from Frank Jones via DHT.

post-1643-0-82752100-1543840189_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-28489500-1543840218_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Don was quite happy to let me post these photos, 1643 is his own taken outside the erecting shop with the multi gauge track in the foreground before the drawgear was altered for Central Railway of Peru, 1649 at Shipston on Cherwell from Frank Jones via DHT.

attachicon.gifHE1643 DHT.jpg

attachicon.gifHE1649 DHT.jpg

It has struck me just how fine the wheels are on 1649. Hunslet were obviously not sourcing from Slaters!

I am currently watching paint dry on the 15" I bought over two years ago. Still haven't allocated an identity. Mexborough, Wheler or Coronation?