It has struck me just how fine the wheels are on 1649. Hunslet were obviously not sourcing from Slaters!

I am currently watching paint dry on the 15" I bought over two years ago. Still haven't allocated an identity. Mexborough, Wheler or Coronation?

I had forgotten Bawtry. I have already modelled the boxed in cab steps and have just noticed that it sported the single footplate to tank filler handrail usually found on Ackton Hall locomotives.

There are also the camera shy Airedale#1 . I have only seen one shot of #2 shrouded in steam and if anyone can help I would be grateful. Likewise any colour photo of a green Fryston locomotive might help wwith the lining.

Don was quite happy to let me post these photos, 1643 is his own taken outside the erecting shop with the multi gauge track in the foreground before the drawgear was altered for Central Railway of Peru, 1649 at Shipston on Cherwell from Frank Jones via DHT.

attachicon.gifHE1643 DHT.jpg

attachicon.gifHE1649 DHT.jpg

Michael Edge, thanks for correcting me.  May I pass this on to Mike Morant who has his photo mislabelled? 

Michael,

I am glad that I had been misinformed, because I am pleased to announce (if you did not already know) that 1643 is still with us- alive and well in Arequipa! As the other six Hunslet 0-6-0STs sent to Peru were 16" x 22" IC types, this MUST be her.

This is the blog where I found the pic: http://trenesdelperu.blogspot.com/2009/07/locomotora-en-parque-ferroviario-de.html

post-11457-0-98223800-1543883441_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Most of that definitely looks like a 16" Hunslet, apart from the cab! I notice 1643 has had the back of its cab removed again - more like its original appearance at Haifa.

Not sure the NUM would have approved. Still it would quickly clear Monday morning hangovers!

Most of that definitely looks like a 16" Hunslet, apart from the cab! I notice 1643 has had the back of its cab removed again - more like its original appearance at Haifa.

Whilst it clearly has the look of the length of a 16", the four knob handrail is usually found on the 15" class. The 16" usually have just three despite the greater length

It wouldn't surprise me if modifications had been made over the years- look at the Turkish 8Fs for example.  But the outline is wonderfully familiar.  The stovepipe chimney amuses me- they didn't have blokes from Hunslet or Allerton Bywater working out in Peru did they?  ;)

Edited by Granite-Yorkie

• RMweb Premium

Leading sandboxes under the footplate are usually the giveaway for a 16" but it's not easy at this angle. 1651/2, 3507 and 3690 are all listed as going to Peru.

post-1643-0-14581500-1543947485.png

Hunslet works photo of 1651 shows four handrail pillars on the tank

Don't normally get involved in posts but the confusion around the Hunslet standard locos is amazing. It would take a week to unravel. Just a few points at random. The four Peruvian locos were basically standard 16" with special items to suit the Peruvian Corporation's requirements. The reason for the four handrail pillars in the photograph is because at that time the saddle tank was riveted from two wrapper plates and a central pillar on the joint would not have been a good idea. In addition to working on the third hand 1643 I built the last PC 16" 3690 and that had a welded tank.

In my 1998 book the 14" Brookes No 1 was accidentally  missed off the list due to it not having been entered up in the 14" list due no doubt to wartime confusion and despite the fact that I had seen it several times in various places I still overlooked it,

The book had a number of errors due in part to faulty proof reading and printers errors which were not noticed until too late. I produced a list of these which went out with all copies purchased direct from me. The most unfortunate error was one perpetrated in printing after being correct at the proof stage. On page 104 two table headings were transposed.Table 5.8 should read side tank, not siaddle tank and  Table 5.12 should read saddle tank, not side tank.   Similarly on page 105 three table headings were transposed.Table 5.13 should read saddle tank, not side tank, Table 5.14 should read side tank, not saddle tank and Table 5.15 should read side tank, not saddle tank.   These errors contributed to the confusion with 1643. The only 14" locos with side tanks were 1690 -Cunarder' made to look like an LMS dock tank when at Swanage and 2387 made to look like 'Thomas' at Middleton but now both are back as saddle tanks. 

Perhaps enough for now.

It has struck me just how fine the wheels are on 1649. Hunslet were obviously not sourcing from Slaters!

I am currently watching paint dry on the 15" I bought over two years ago. Still haven't allocated an identity. Mexborough, Wheler or Coronation?

I

• Informative/Useful 1

I

I feel genuinely humbled to follow on from one of the last living links to the manufacturing of steam locomotives. Thank you Don for your contribution.

Yesterday I placed an order with Narrow Planet for a set of plates for Bawtry. As I watched the paint dry I noticed that I had already drilled holes for a footplate to tank filler handrail as shown in Ron Rockett's book. The discovery that Bawtry was so equipped raises new questions as I had previously assumed that this was a modification unique to Ackton Hall. Most if not all the ex Airedale Collieries only had a front footstep on the right or offside. Perhaps someone is able to help. Modelling idiosyncratic handrails is an easy way to personalize kits or RTR in any scale.

• Like 2

Silly question: has anyone managed to compile a sequential list of Hunslets?

Short answer 'yes' I have and it is big. I am afraid you will have to wait for my next three books, too big for one, which at present rate of progress might have to be published postumousley

• Like 3

Short answer 'yes' I have and it is big. I am afraid you will have to wait for my next three books, too big for one, which at present rate of progress might have to be published postumousley

Godspeed with this great task. I will reserve some shelf space

Hi to all,

Can anyone please advise on the likely livery of the Huslet 14in locos for Haifa?

Following are a few photos of both IC and OC varieties with appears to be the same livery.

1: Brand new HHWD No. 1 at Haifa Harbour construction site (2 photos) - c. 10/1929, Central Zionist Archives

post-8826-0-47488500-1544103432_thumb.jpg

post-8826-0-67472000-1544103546_thumb.jpg

2: A brand new IC example front view, probably taken in the harbour construction location:

post-8826-0-79716400-1544080881_thumb.jpg

3: Bunker view of an IC Hunslet on the harbour constructin access line with Mount Carmel headland in the background:

post-8826-0-44080000-1544081613.jpeg

4: A partial front view of OC example with similar/same livery at the Athlit quarry:

post-8826-0-10694600-1544081080.jpg

5: Broadside view of HHWD No. 6, from the Matson Collection in The Library of Congress:

15386v.jpg

(( a hi-res version of this can be dowloaded here: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/matpc.15386/ ))

Other and later photos of such engines in Haifa and those transferred in the mid-1930s for work on the Jaffa Harbour upgrade works don't show the lining/

• Like 3

Hi to all,

Can anyone please advise on the likely livery of the Huslet 14in locos for Haifa?

Following are a few photos of both IC and OC varieties with appears to be the same livery.

1: Brand new HHWD No. 1 at Haifa Harbour construction site (2 photos) - c. 10/1929, Central Zionist Archives

attachicon.gifIN020-06.jpg

attachicon.gifIN020-08.jpg

2: A brand new IC example front view, probably taken in the harbour construction location:

attachicon.gifHHWD Hunslet.jpg

3: Bunker view of an IC Hunslet on the harbour constructin access line with Mount Carmel headland in the background:

attachicon.gifקטר Hunslet בקו לנמל חיפה סביב 1930.jpeg

4: A partial front view of OC example with similar/same livery at the Athlit quarry:

attachicon.gifמחצבת עתלית - אוסף ז'נקה רטנר - ביתמונה Alb-09_20.jpg

5: Broadside view of HHWD No. 6, from the Matson Collection in The Library of Congress:

15386v.jpg

(( a hi-res version of this can be dowloaded here: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/matpc.15386/ ))

Other and later photos of such engines in Haifa and those transferred in the mid-1930s for work on the Jaffa Harbour upgrade works don't show the lining/

Thanks Chen. Nice to hear from you again. Thanks for the photos. I have the first one of No 1 but not the others.

Livery of i/c locos Nos 1 and 2 was Battleship Grey with broad black lining edged with a thin blue line each side. As in all new Hunslet saddle tank locomotive the top of the tank was black starting from roughly 6" above the handrails or the width of the angle iron securing tank to cab front. The thin blue line did not stand out against the battleship grey and was replaced on all future Haifa locomotives with golden yellow lines. a single yellow line embellished the frames and wheel centres. Smokebox heat resistant black buffer beams red with yellow line. Frames and footplates conventional black but some could possibly been dark grey.  

Re livery of Haifa Locomotives. I have just found a note that whilst the top of the tanks looked black, in line with Hunslet standard practice, the Haifa locomotives' tank tops were actually uniquely dark grey. This information comes from the paint shop instructions which also give the inside of the cab to be light buff, black and white but does not state where each colour was to be applied. Assume the painters knew to paint black up to waist height, buff above waist and white on underside (and perhaps top) of roof to reflect heat from the sun. The inside of the frames, and the inside valve gear etc. were vermillion. There was a black edging with white separating line to the vermillion buffer beam.