Thanks Chen. Nice to hear from you again. Thanks for the photos. I have the first one of No 1 but not the others.

Livery of i/c locos Nos 1 and 2 was Battleship Grey with broad black lining edged with a thin blue line each side. As in all new Hunslet saddle tank locomotive the top of the tank was black starting from roughly 6" above the handrails or the width of the angle iron securing tank to cab front. The thin blue line did not stand out against the battleship grey and was replaced on all future Haifa locomotives with golden yellow lines. a single yellow line embellished the frames and wheel centres. Smokebox heat resistant black buffer beams red with yellow line. Frames and footplates conventional black but some could possibly been dark grey.  

Re livery of Haifa Locomotives. I have just found a note that whilst the top of the tanks looked black, in line with Hunslet standard practice, the Haifa locomotives' tank tops were actually uniquely dark grey. This information comes from the paint shop instructions which also give the inside of the cab to be light buff, black and white but does not state where each colour was to be applied. Assume the painters knew to paint black up to waist height, buff above waist and white on underside (and perhaps top) of roof to reflect heat from the sun. The inside of the frames, and the inside valve gear etc. were vermillion. There was a black edging with white separating line to the vermillion buffer beam.

This is terrific Don - Thanks! 

Probably the best livery description of any steam locomotive to have run in this country (Israel), and actually only a few exist altogether, the others being Baldwin products.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don't know about the YE but Hunslet built five of these 16" locos for Peruvian Corporation between 1927 and 1950 - 1495(1927), 1651/2(1930), 3507 (1948) and 3690(1950.

The HE order books don't show running numbers for these so I can't be sure which loco no.36 is but it matches 1651 which is the only one in the photo collection.

954534125_ScreenShot2020-11-21at14_01_19.png.9b2e008fb11faf352dc8baebeb848d5c.png

Hunslet Engine Co. photograph

What looks like an extension to the buffer beam is a step for shunters to stand on, similar to that still fitted to New Zealand locos. It seems to have been filled in at the back some time after building

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...
On 27/11/2018 at 22:10, Michael Edge said:

I'm working on it.....

How's it coming along? The standard 16-inch ones are nice, but everyone and his dog's got one now that there's a RTR. That outside-cylindered one, with the outside valve gear, is a bit special.

• Agree 1

On 08/02/2023 at 19:59, Michael Edge said:

I did an etch for the 16in OC but I haven’t built it yet, just working on the 14in OC locos now.

We discussed the 14" OC about a year ago: I'm glad there's a kit in the pipeline as I am mad keen to have one. Bramley No.4 is going to be over here, in a way. 

Edited by Granite-Yorkie
Typo corrected.