MMP 9F - any good?

RedgateModels

I presume that you are tempted by this!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173412257251?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you can’t justify the cost of the MOK kit, the MMP version should be a pedigree item. I was very tempted myself as it has a BR1G tender suitable for a WR loco, but can’t envision needing one to keep my MOK 9F company!

Dave

As it says is the MMP 9F kit worth bothering with?

I'm tempted to lay one down for the future

As has been said elsewhere in relation to the Britannia kit - the MMP steam loco kits were highly-detailed for their time but would not hold up against the MOK 9F [one of which I own]. They were pre-CAD, and are kits from a very different era. They ceased to be part of the MMP range in 1992. Go for the MOK kit!

David Parkins/MMP

• Like 1

As has been said elsewhere in relation to the Britannia kit - the MMP steam loco kits were highly-detailed for their time but would not hold up against the MOK 9F [one of which I own]. They were pre-CAD, and are kits from a very different era. They ceased to be part of the MMP range in 1992. Go for the MOK kit!

David Parkins/MMP

well you cannot get a better answer than that lol

I have no experience of this kit but one of my friends did buy one. He found a number of issues with the connecting rods not lining up with the wheel centres as the main one. In the end he abandoned the chassis for a Premier models one which after a lot of work has produced a nice loco.

Sir Brian has showed that it can be done but then he is of a different planet to most of us!

Martin

Edited by glo41f

A superb build Brian and a exquisite result, really looks the part especially the weathering below the footplate

I recall that when these were released I was tempted to purchase one but let it slip by though as someone has already eluded to I also heard similar mutterings about the chassis wheel spacing etc

Bob

• 3 months later...

I built one of these kits but didn't complete it ... yet. I too had coupling rod issues and ended up getting a set of milled rods and removing the springs on the driving axles.

It's designed for an RG7 with the gearbox in line with the motor so sits vertically up into the firebox.

The tender and body went together well and is all painted in plain black.

Seeing Brian's photos has inspired me to finish it off as all it needs us pickups and the valve gear.

If I do it will probably have taken something like 20 years to build.