Detailing the Dublo Cowans Sheldon 45t crane

• RMweb Premium

Hi There,

After measuring the drawing in Peter Tatlow's book Railway Breakdown Cranes Volume Two at 158mm the jib on the Cowans Sheldon LNER 45T crane should be 39' 6". I do not have a Hornby Dublo crane and so don't know how long its jib is to be found.

The above mentioned book is published in two volumes and is a quite brilliant asset for anyone interested in crane building with lots of drawings and all sorts of photos. Some of the drawings in the book are slightly off scale but may be compensated for by using wheel base figures and working in a conversion factor, although I did check the particular drawing mentioned and it is correct to scale.

Here are some of my crane projects built from the drawings in the book;

attachicon.gifDSCF0172.JPG

Cowans Sheldon 75 ton in bothe N an OO gauges showing jib foot articulation.

attachicon.gifDSCF0173.JPG

Same again shewing Stokes bogies and jibs removed also lifting beams.

attachicon.gifDSCF0174.JPG

Comparison with original Hornby and modified crane with new jib and other alterations.

attachicon.gifDSCF0176.JPG

Busy work bench with Cowans Sheldon LMS and BR Std 30 ton cranes part built.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

I built a Cowans Sheldon 30 ton from scratch. I did look at the Hornby model but concluded more would be in the bin and replaced with plastic card so It was easier to build it from scratch. 

I look forward to seeing yours progress.

• Like 2

Be careful with the drawing in Tatlow. Be aware that some, e.g. the above said 45T Cowans Sheldon crane, have been distorted in printing such that the vertical and horizontal scales are different i.e. the wheels etc. which should be round aren't!

Cheers Bruce,

I know, I've had fun and games with some of the drawings which is a shame for the book is otherwise excellent. The cranes I have built, and part built so far, from the drawings in the book look right enough to me though.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Cheers Bruce,

I know, I've had fun and games with some of the drawings which is a shame for the book is otherwise excellent. The cranes I have built, and part built so far, from the drawings in the book look right enough to me though.

Gibbo.

If you can scan the drawings, image manipulation software enables you to rescale horizontally and vertically to different scales, thus correcting any errors.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Just caught up with this. Yes please I will add my interest in buying when available.

Have had a dublo crane for years, apart from the match truck and jacks the crane sort of 'looked right'. Checking with the Tatlow book shows the carriage and crab to be pretty accurate. The relieving bogies are the correct wheelbase, but are a bit too long and a bit wide. It may be possible to lengthen the jib by grafting a bit to each end but I've not looked at it in great detail. The jib needs doing in some way to suit a new match truck.

But if you cover the 'fiddly bits' with your work Jon, it will be most welcome.

Regards, Jim

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A slight update,

I redrew the sheet at the weekend, to tweek the numbers of the various pulleys, and then had to lay it out slightly differently to get them onto an A4 sheet in an efficient manner, however i need to do a bit more design work for the bit that fills the sheet, and my life has got a bit full of other commitments for a few weeks, so there is unlikely to be progress before mid August.

Jon

Did you get any further with this Jon, I would like to express my interest in a set too.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

No I didn't, but one of my modelling distractions has been finished (anyone want to buy a 1:72 Corvette -the ship) so I really should sort that out next.

Jon

Ah, the Airfix Flower class I assume, I made one of those about 40 years ago, lovely model.

I won't bother buying a Hornby Dublo crane just yet then !!  please get in touch when you restart the project.

Ian

Hello Ian,

I too built an Airfix (or was it Matchbox) Flower class a little less than 40 years ago. 1983, I think. 

I powered it with 2 lead acid batteries and had remote control gear fitted.

It didn't get any further than the bath.

It was a lovely model.

Regards,

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Hello Ian,

I too built an Airfix (or was it Matchbox) Flower class a little less than 40 years ago. 1983, I think. 

I powered it with 2 lead acid batteries and had remote control gear fitted.

It didn't get any further than the bath.

It was a lovely model.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob

Yes, it was Matchbox originally. This is the last ship I built, also about 40 years ago, the coastal Monitor HMS Roberts.

post-6711-0-89321200-1547843190_thumb.jpg

Ian

Hmmm! Thinks long and hard about the Flower class he's just seen on Ebay.  :scratchhead:

At the risk of continuing off topic (which I don't really want - I was just explaining the delay) The Matchbox flower corvette is a monster, and if it takes up dry dock in your workshop don't expect to do much else for 3-6 months, and I'd consider myself a pretty prolific/fast modeller.

Maybe I'll take a few photos and start a thread elsewhere, but for now I'm off to Ally Pally for the model Engineer show.

Jon

At the risk of continuing off topic (which I don't really want - I was just explaining the delay) The Matchbox flower corvette is a monster, and if it takes up dry dock in your workshop don't expect to do much else for 3-6 months, and I'd consider myself a pretty prolific/fast modeller.

Maybe I'll take a few photos and start a thread elsewhere, but for now I'm off to Ally Pally for the model Engineer show.

Jon

Good plan. Keep me posted.

End of off topic.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jonhall said:

Just as an update - The order has gone into PPD for a couple of sheets, once I've seen the outcome and the invoice I can work out what they might cost and how they may be ordered.

Jon

Jon,

Please record my interest in purchasing a set.

Thank you,

John Isherwood.

1 hour ago, jonhall said:

Just as an update - The order has gone into PPD for a couple of sheets, once I've seen the outcome and the invoice I can work out what they might cost and how they may be ordered.

Jon

Me too for a set please.