Detailing the Dublo Cowans Sheldon 45t crane

Those gears look good Jon put me down for a set if you get them into production please.

Here are pics of Modelmaster 4664, l’ve had them for a while, they. cost me £2.80 when I bought them for my slowly on going crane project.

ED236C29-BB30-4B51-BF1B-9BC1BCF8CFF7.jpeg

036A04EE-9E50-4A83-91F7-F91E37FEE127.jpeg

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Jon thanks for the link. Are these waterslide or presfix transfers. The cranes arrived today so will start working on them tomorrow............. :)

Waterslide.

Do keep us posted with pictures of how you get on.

14 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

Those gears look good Jon put me down for a set if you get them into production please.

Here are pics of Modelmaster 4664, l’ve had them for a while, they. cost me £2.80 when I bought them for my slowly on going crane project.

ED236C29-BB30-4B51-BF1B-9BC1BCF8CFF7.jpeg

Its a shame it wasn't sheet 4554, because you could have got two 45's out of the sheet identifier! I think that's as good as its going to get, and it gives all the Cowans Sheldon lettering and  most of the rest, basically just source some 45 numerals - which it wouldn't surprise me if some loco numbering might take care of?

Jon

3 hours ago, craneman said:

With the up-swell of interest in the good old HD crane, you could contact John Isherwood at Cambridge Custom Transfers to see if he feels there is enough interest in a bespoke set of transfers for this crane.

You rang, Sir?

I will ultimately need such transfers myself, but that project is not currently high in my 'To Do' list.

The problem, as I see it, would be in obtaining good, clear photos of these cranes during the BR steam era; (that is the only period I would cover).

To see what I would cover - and for which I would need detailed photos photos - this is my sheet for the BR(WR) Booth PW cranes : -

4BL0092_.JPG.6adc9aa3332bcb82954abb51334a3701.JPG

If anyone can help with images of these Cowans Sheldon cranes - I have the Tatlow trilogy - it may help in promoting this project, and the associated transfer sheet, amongst my seemingly endless list of things to do!!

(Clearly, photos of any and all cast iron information / operating plates, from any period would be useful, as they would not have changed).

Many thanks in anticipation.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers,

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

• 9 months later...

Whilst I don't think it's relevant to the 45T cranes, I have in my collection five plates from a crane which I believe to have been DRF81321 aka DB967486.  Photos attached in case they are helpful to anybody.

I don't know what firm built this crane, but from the lifting capacity plate it was evidently a 10T one.  Although I haven't seen any photos of the crane itself,  there are a couple of photos of two different allegedly associated crane runners.

https://www.departmentals.com/departmental/975244 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p1054633204/h36EBF3FE#h36ebf3fe

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have just started looking into this topic, and I will be looking for a British Railways rebuilt Cowans Sheldon and Company Limited 45 Ton breakdown crane number M1005 (also numbered ADRC95203 but not carried)

It looks like it had latticed sides to the arm to reduce weight. Needless to say, I am so far unable to find anything like it in OO Gauge.
geograph-6065222-by-Alan-Murray-Rust.jpg.2d6fda88a417bc471a62758701fd417f.jpg

5 hours ago, Esmedune said:

I have just started looking into this topic, and I will be looking for a British Railways rebuilt Cowans Sheldon and Company Limited 45 Ton breakdown crane number M1005 (also numbered ADRC95203 but not carried)

It looks like it had latticed sides to the arm to reduce weight. Needless to say, I am so far unable to find anything like it in OO Gauge.
geograph-6065222-by-Alan-Murray-Rust.jpg.2d6fda88a417bc471a62758701fd417f.jpg

Hi Esmedune,

The crane in your photograph is one of three built for the LMS in 1931. They were originally rated at 36 tons but later uprated to 50 tons. The crab and the stokes bogies are similar enough however the carriage has differing wheel base centres and the LMS crane has three sets of propping girders to the two sets, also differently placed, of the LNER/WD crane made by Hornby Dublo.

I shall send you a PM with some drawings.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/08/2020 at 00:53, bubbles2 said:

Waterslide.

Do keep us posted with pictures of how you get on.

Hi Bubbles,

Sorry got carried away with other projects and forgot to post the finished cranes here for you. I decided to go for more of a restoration than full upgrade. I found that I could get the original decals for these cranes so went in that direction. Any way here is how they turned out. All 3 of them....lol

DSC_0908.JPG

DSC_0909.JPG

DSC_0910.JPG

DSC_0911.JPG

DSC_0912.JPG

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0914.JPG

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Hi All. Some fabulous looking models on here. 

I've set up a company doing model making, miniature electronics and 3D printing. The next project we are planning is an all new Cowans Sheldon 75 ton breakdown crane, hopefully in N, 00 and 0. 

Please feel free to pay any feedback or suggestions good or bad. Still very early protototypes. 

Apologies for hijacking the thread. 

Screenshot_20211209_112235_com.google.android.apps.photosgo.jpg

Screenshot_20211209_112258_com.google.android.apps.photosgo.jpg

Edited by firefly9

• 1 month later...
On 21/02/2022 at 04:13, Dan Griffin said:

I have just restored one of these cranes in my latest video.  It was in pretty poor condition when i obtained it. 

Hi Dan,

A great restoration. I love the H/D cranes. A much better looking one than the modern Hornby efforts. Plus it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Bachmann one.

• Round of applause 1

• 4 months later...