Hornby "Royal Observer Corps"

GeoffBird

• RMweb Gold

I see that R3618 is starting to appear at various retailers.  Has anyone had a good lok at it?  Is it any different to the last Rebuilt

Bulleid that they produced?

Looking at the photo's on the Rails website, it looks pretty much the same as the previous release.

Will benefit from etch plates though

• RMweb Gold

I see that R3618 is starting to appear at various retailers.  Has anyone had a good lok at it?  Is it any different to the last Rebuilt

Bulleid that they produced?

Different identity, otherwise the same as its most recent predecessors, 34077 603 Squadron and 34096 Trevone.

John

• RMweb Gold

1. is the tender the correct tender ?

This picture below isn’t the same tender as on the model (note the raised tank at the back) ?).. 5500 gallon type.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve75c/5408979900

The Hornby website certainly shows the correct tender here, but that’s not what’s behind the Rails one above ...

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-rebuilt-battle-of-britain-class-4-6-2-34050-royal-observer-corps-era-5.html

Hornby certainly has the correct tender, they’ve used it behind 34062 and recently on 34013.. but this tender isn’t the same, it looks like the smaller 4500 gallon one ?

SEMG shows it with 3 smaller tenders, 3299 from 12/46 to 12/48, 3256 until it was rebuilt in 8/1958, thereafter it has 5500 gallon tenders... making this condition wrong ?

2. Are the hyroglyphs under the cab number correct ?

This picture shows a GW style spot code to the left, but the model shows an SR yellow triangle to the right of the ROC badges

https://goo.gl/images/U3WZQb

This picture also shows a GWR yellow spot, no triangle..

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/610702ro.html

Another modeller here has the yellow triangle to the left ?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/55324-rebuilt-bulleid-battle-of-britain-class-4-6-2-no34050-royal-observer-corps/

Edited by adb968008

I received my model yesterday to find that Hornby had supplied the wrong tender with this loco, it should be the one displayed on the box art a 5500 gallon one instead of the 4500 gallon one supplied. I have emailed Hornby for an exchange tender let’s see what they suggest. As to the yellow dot / triangle this loco carried both types, they denoted that the loco was fitted with the TIA water treatment system. The yellow dot was changed to a triangle to save the Western Region confusing it with their system of coulerd dots for route availability. The dot or triangle should be under the 3 on both sides but Hornby have put it under the 0 on the r/h side.

post-906-0-76003300-1531873632_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

1. is the tender the correct tender ?

This picture below isn’t the same tender as on the model (note the raised tank at the back) ?).. 5500 gallon type.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve75c/5408979900

The Hornby website certainly shows the correct tender here, but that’s not what’s behind the Rails one above ...

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-rebuilt-battle-of-britain-class-4-6-2-34050-royal-observer-corps-era-5.html

Hornby certainly has the correct tender, they’ve used it behind 34062 and recently on 34013.. but this tender isn’t the same, it looks like the smaller 4500 gallon one ?

SEMG shows it with 3 smaller tenders, 3299 from 12/46 to 12/48, 3256 until it was rebuilt in 8/1958, thereafter it has 5500 gallon tenders... making this condition wrong ?

2. Are the hyroglyphs under the cab number correct ?

This picture shows a GW style spot code to the left, but the model shows an SR yellow triangle to the right of the ROC badges

https://goo.gl/images/U3WZQb

This picture also shows a GWR yellow spot, no triangle..

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/610702ro.html

Another modeller here has the yellow triangle to the left ?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/55324-rebuilt-bulleid-battle-of-britain-class-4-6-2-no34050-royal-observer-corps/

Worth noting that although the official records state ROC ran with 5,500 gl tenders the entire time after being rebuilt, not all tender changes where recorded officially. Having renamed all 110 of the class, this particular issue has cropped a few times.

As far as the position of the TIA water treatment triangle on ROC it should be under the 3 on either side.

I have checked my own collection of photos and various books & websites, and they all show 34050 as having a 5,500 gallon tender during the period from being rebuilt in August 1958 and withdrawn in August 1965 (i.e. NOT the Hornby tender - assuming the Rails photo is correct).

The dates on the photos are:

Undated official photo - likely to have been taken in 1958 immediately after rebuilding; plus

27 Sept 1959

24 Jan & 25 Nov 1961

March, 11 April & 25 August 1962

26 July 1963

16 May 1964

13 June 1965

• RMweb Gold

According to Derry, 34050 received cut-down 5500 gallon tender No.3353 upon rebuilding. Tender ex-34098 Templecombe which ran with a 4500 gallon example for the remainder of its service and didn't get rebuilt until 1961.

34050 subsequently received No.3327 of the same type (taken from 34045 Ottery St Mary after withdrawal) during a Light Casual in December 1964. Presumably under the usual Eastleigh Works practice of retaining the best tenders from withdrawn locos.

So, yes, Hornby do seem to a dropped a clanger with this loco, though it's not impossible that it may have run with a small tender during a short-term, unrecorded swap if its own developed problems.

Late 1964, immediately prior to it receiving tender 3327, is probably the spell from which a photo would be useful to confirm/deny. 34050 was reallocated from Nine Elms to Eastleigh in September of that year which might help tie things down further.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to swap tenders please?

Big James

Unscrew the tender loco coupling, and unplug the connector wires.

Only takes a few minutes.

Only risk is the connector wires, they sit flush to a socket in the tender, Hornby do a tool to lift it out, but a small jewellers screwdriver can ease it out. Just don’t be tempted to pull the wires, if they come out of the socket, it’s not going back in and you need a soldering iron to rewire the 4 wires from the loco to tender with a new set or wires/ socket.

34013 Okehampton has the same type of tender /plug fitting. Earlier ones have an old fashioned loop and loco hook fitting, you’d need to swap the loco chassis as well.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to swap tenders please?

Big James

The tender bodies swap over easily enough, it's finding a spare one of the right sort, in a matching finish, that will be the trick. 

Best not to swap the whole tender as the loco/tender coupling isn't the same on all versions.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking that to. As on the older models it was literally a case of just swapping tenders. But on 34013 okehampton and 34070 manston they was permanently coupled together.

Big James

Yes, and unless you can get hold of a tender body on its own, you will just be transferring the issue to another loco.

John

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and unless you can get hold of a tender body on its own, you will just be transferring the issue to another loco.

John

Unless you renumber that donor loco to that of a 4500 gallon type.. for example, 34028 Eddystone, 34039 Boscastle could be candidates.

I was thinking of a 34016 or 34027.. but they are 5500g too.

Best shot is a 34013 Okehampton, and do a renumber on it, after swapping tenders.

Looking down SEMGs list, when they got big tenders, they didn’t slim back down again. Looking through Hornbys list of Bulleids produced, I don’t see an overlap where it was rebuilt but running with both 4500 and 5500 types...it’s one or the other.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Unless you renumber that donor loco to that of a 4500 gallon type.. for example, 34028 Eddystone, 34039 Boscastle could be candidates.

I was thinking of a 34016 or 34027.. but they are 5500g too.

Best shot is a 34013 Okehampton, and do a renumber on it, after swapping tenders.

Looking down SEMGs list, when they got big tenders, they didn’t slim back down again. Looking through Hornbys list of Bulleids produced, I don’t see an overlap where it was rebuilt but running with both 4500 and 5500 types...it’s one or the other.

Best to steer clear of Boscastle. It's tender started off as a 4500 but was one of the handful rebodied by BR, whilst the loco was being rebuilt. For 34039, you will need to get a Hornby Dublo/Wrenn 5250 gallon body and repaint it to match the loco.

Movement of 5500 gallon tenders to rebuilt locos was intentional - there just weren't enough to go round. Nearly all ended up with rebuilt locos, with only five non-rebuilt examples retaining them to withdrawal, 34078, 34091, 34099, 34102 and 34107.

So long as your modelling period doesn't spread too far before 1960, a Hornby Weymouth or Blandford Forum would therefore be a good source (assuming the green matches 34050) as there are plenty of similar locos to choose from that received small tenders in reality. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Best to steer clear of Boscastle. It's tender started off as a 4500 but was one of the handful rebodied by BR, whilst the loco was being rebuilt. For 34039, you will need to get a Hornby Dublo/Wrenn 5250 gallon body and repaint it to match the loco.

Movement of 5500 gallon tenders to rebuilt locos was intentional - there just weren't enough to go round. Nearly all ended up with rebuilt locos, with only five non-rebuilt examples retaining them to withdrawal, 34078, 34091, 34099, 34102 and 34107.

So long as your modelling period doesn't spread too far before 1960, a Hornby Weymouth or Blandford Forum would therefore be a good source (assuming the green matches 34050) as there are plenty of similar locos to choose from that received small tenders in reality.

The tender chassis and body were altered for satan's plug when it came in. The screw holes and locating pillars moved further back (for speak fitment etc). So swapping tender bodies must be from other Bulleid light pacifics with the same type of connection.

Edited by toboldlygo

Looks like far too much hassle to me and I'll be rejecting my pre-ordered Royal Observer Corps unless Hornby can come up with the correct replacement part.

John

I preordered my loco from Rails of Sheffield in January when Hornby first announced it with a picture of it with the correct 5500 gallon tender, Hornbys web site shows it with the correct tender, the picture on the box shows it with the correct tender, there for instead of trying to source a new tender or tender top l think Hornby should just exchange the tender/ tender tops for the correct one. I have emailed Hornby about this as of yet l have had no reply. I will phone Hornby tomorrow to see what they intend to do about resolving this. I think there will be a lot of dealers left with these unsold the more people find out about this, maybe some bargains for renumberig.post-906-0-69749600-1531952486_thumb.png

The 5500 gallon tender is shown on both Hornby's website and the box cover. No evidence at all that Rebuilt Royal Observer Corps ever had a 4500 gallon tender.

Not only a spectacular cock up but thoroughly dishonest and contemptuous of loyal customers.

• RMweb Gold

Silver lining in all this, it could be the source of overdue Bulleid spare parts.

I should have my ROC by Friday, and will put it to my Okehampton tender to see if there’s a paint match.

(Appledore, Trevone and 603 Squadron (delivered In 2017) are a different shade to Okehampton (delivered 2016), that i’m sure.

I do hope that a run of correct tenders is an option, though i’m not holding my breath.

I was thinking that to. As on the older models it was literally a case of just swapping tenders. But on 34013 okehampton and 34070 manston they was permanently coupled together.

Big James

Be careful though, you need a recent release tender. Early ones do not have the screw held drawbar nor the 4 pin plug. Instead they use the older drawbar that uses a tender brass pin and electrical wipers to transfer juice.

(Oops just saw toboldlygo beat me to it)

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Silver lining in all this, it could be the source of overdue Bulleid spare parts.

I should have my ROC by Friday, and will put it to my Okehampton tender to see if there’s a paint match.

(Appledore, Trevone and 603 Squadron (delivered In 2017) are a different shade to Okehampton (delivered 2016), that i’m sure.

I do hope that a run of correct tenders is an option, though i’m not holding my breath.

Quite agree regarding paint match.34013 is flat by comparison

• RMweb Gold

I've decided that I won't be buying one of these locos unless Hornby undertake to sort out the error.

If I do, there will be no incentive for them to do so.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling