Temeraire

15 hours ago, GWRPhil said:

A great layout Ian. Wonderful to see it’s progress. I remember you showing me version 1 in your loft. This version is shaping up to be so much better. The helix design is genius. 

I too saw the loft, the shed is coming along great 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Afternoon all

Having just returned from a few days in Devon I thought I'd take some up to date pictures and post a state of play and where its going next. I mentioned previously that backscene boards had been added all around but these had not been pictured yet.

889382340_66_ExfordParkSta_201009.jpg.159d927f72ccab6e344b0a0e789e69e9.jpg

Starting at Exford Park station (to be!), you can see the backscene and the scenic break behind the DMUs that are at the platforms that will run up to the board joint from the scenic break.

67_ExPrev_201009.jpg.14fe78be660486cd4400936af2d9cff0.jpg

Looking back the two lines in the middle are the goods through loop and run round loop. The two sidings will become a cement terminal based on Exeter Central.70_Curve_201009.jpg.27db4bac0090ce538139c631faa73107.jpg

The curve at the far end of the shed where the two lines reach the junction on the Right. The Celotex foam will form cliffs/embankments similar to those at Dawlish hopefully!  Behind the backscene here, the two lines are beginning their descent to the Fiddle yard. In front are three engineers sidings accessed from the Goods Loop.

71_ExfordJct_201009.jpg.cbef933bec9de7d75331c0a891471443.jpg

View of the Junction and tunnel mouth that will be based on Kennaway Tunnel at Dawlish, with the hill built up above, once the track below is ballasted. There will then be a path rising on the Righthand side from roughly baseboard level to above the tunnel mouth.

72_Hillview_201009.jpg.3bddccbc888625db71d10943ef2c5946.jpg

What will be the view from the top of the hill (when its built).

73_OverStabPoint_201009.jpg.0d90a3459fda290c80a7cc4f590a806e.jpg

View of the stabling point towards the scenic break at the door end of the shed. We now have a four track mainline with the rear two tracks from the FY below and the two inner 'relief lines' that circulate on the top level through the station.

69_StablingPointWest_201009.jpg.c5db47aab3b2c551bce93a6721e0fda1.jpg

The reverse view from the scenic break.

1539552678_74_DoorEnd_201009.jpg.c93c873da61525b3b692b39d255d2843.jpg

View of the door end of the shed with the lifting flap and removable bridges and the two scenic breaks.

75_FY_201009.jpg.49a1c3f5d072b24945420f4b69080cd8.jpg

Closer image of the difference in height between the top scenic level and the FY below. The difference in track heights is around 290mm.

76_Underworld_201009.jpg.fd2a66f19844c431cec8ae34e2f5e98a.jpg

Lastly a view inside the 'Underworld'!

So having had a period of just running trains to thoroughly test the running is satisfactory, its time to start on the scenic side of things! Time to source some ballast.

The trip down to Devon wasn’t for more realistic cliff colouring was it?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, GWRPhil said:

The trip down to Devon wasn’t for more realistic cliff colouring was it?

No North Devon this time, I've still got some of the soil left from before. Did you ever use what I sent you?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Temeraire said:

No North Devon this time, I've still got some of the soil left from before. Did you ever use what I sent you?

I did and thank you for it. was most appreciated. unfortunately due to a change in job and location that layout is no more now. current home doesn't really have a space I can do a layout even in n. I now live in Plymouth south Devon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/10/2020 at 21:26, Temeraire said:

ABE154AF-1C1A-466B-8F32-12B9059B2D1E.jpeg.6ec8c5f835e028b58f4a4c44179f23ec.jpeg

yeah fancied a cup of tea!

Looks like you weren't far behind me Ian!

The Lynton & Barnstaple

Just catching up on the thread and great progress. Always wanted a low level fiddle yard to give more scenic space, certainly be considering your build process for future layouts.

Edited by SouthernMafia
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2020 at 10:21, Temeraire said:

Morning all

Been a few weeks and not had a lot of time in the shed with decorating and work taking up time. What time I had was spent making, painting and laying concrete trunking alongside the track, adding dummy point motors and concrete bases for relay cabinets etc.

Last week the Accurascale wagon delivery finally arrived and last night I got time to unpack them and see how they run, especially as the dedicated traction arrived this week! (Given up waiting for the Dapol 59). Once a couple of issues had been sorted the wagons ran well round and round and up and down to the FY and so I thought a video might be in order!;)

There maybe further updates in the next week or so as the NHS App last night told me to isolate for 10 days. Shame!:D

I like.

they would fit in on my layout 

On 10/12/2020 at 10:21, Temeraire said:

Morning all

Been a few weeks and not had a lot of time in the shed with decorating and work taking up time. What time I had was spent making, painting and laying concrete trunking alongside the track, adding dummy point motors and concrete bases for relay cabinets etc.

Last week the Accurascale wagon delivery finally arrived and last night I got time to unpack them and see how they run, especially as the dedicated traction arrived this week! (Given up waiting for the Dapol 59). Once a couple of issues had been sorted the wagons ran well round and round and up and down to the FY and so I thought a video might be in order!;)

There maybe further updates in the next week or so as the NHS App last night told me to isolate for 10 days. Shame!:D

Hi Ian, hope your well.

This really is a great layout, the neatness of everything is what blows me away the most, and i'm not just on about the track/layout.... the woodwork, the wiring, shed and all the painting and all the memorabilia on the walls etc..... I do like the cups hanging up on the hooks, it makes it a great environment to want and sit and play trains all day.

I noticed your comment about the Dapol 59, I to am becoming increasingly frustrated (ok ok pissed off) with how long its taking to turn up, in anticipation of it arriving I built myself up over time a nice rake of 16 Revolution Trains Mendip Rail JNAs, I've no where to run them....and currently nothing to pull them either, lol. I'm tempted to buy a Hattons FL 66 to stick on the front untill the 59 arrives.

I've also for the first time ever just recently purchased in one hit (as in within the last hour) a rake of 15 Accurascale Tippler wagons, same as yours but I've gone for A.R.C livery.....so, er, back to needing a 59 to haul them. 

I've changed jobs (again) and I'm now driving an artic tipper on farm grain work and Mendip aggregate work which puts me into both Whatley and Merehead (Torr) quarries on a pretty much daily basis, hence the interest in stone trains, plus a mutual friend of ours (think D400) is now also driving them (the trains not the trucks, lol).

Looking forward next year to building up a rake of Revolotion HOAs and Dapol O&K hoppers, then if I can find someone with a layout big enough i can couple the whole lot together and run my own Mendip jumbo train.......if the 59 to pull it ever arrives that is.

Stay safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GEARJAMMER said:

I noticed your comment about the Dapol 59,

Hi Steve long time no hear fella, don't understand quite what is taking so long with the 59 I'm sure there were painted samples at Warley last year?  Thanks for the nice comments about the shed and if you're ever this way drop in, but perhaps don't park your artic outside! If not I'll catch up with you at the MidHants if they ever give Lion a running day! Where are you living now, I lost track? 

Edited by Temeraire

3 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Hi Steve long time no hear fella, don't understand quite what is taking so long with the 59 I'm sure there were painted samples at Warley last year?  Thanks for the nice comments about the shed and if you're ever this way drop in, but perhaps don't park your artic outside! If not I'll catch up with you at the MidHants if they ever give Lion a running day! Where are you living now, I lost track? 

Its been that long that i cant actually remember if i seen the painted examples of the 59s, or if i just seen photos, i must have seen the painted examples i guess as ive gone to Warley every year for the last 3-4 years. 

Im all settled and living in Marchwood at the moment, and work in Salisbury.

Hopefully will see you at the MHR, or those other places i used to see you... i forget what there called...... oh yeah, model railway shows.... remember those? lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Rich

Unfortunately no I don’t have a camera truck, maybe I’ll invest in one once the layout is a bit more ‘scenic’. Spent a few hours this afternoon painting the concrete sleepers ready for ballasting, still a little to finish tomorrow followed by fitting the catch pits and then there’ll be no excuse for not ballasting anymore!

• Like 5