Temeraire

Another top video Ian, I did notice some wagons drop/bounce  going trough the cross overs by the depot. Have you got a worn out frog or is their some ballast sticking up a bit high. I know some of my older points have a wider frog which can do the same with the newer more finescale wagon wheels. 

Also a question. How do you put video on your thread with the limited 10MB file size that can be loaded up, I have trouble loading a few pictures sometimes.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Also a question. How do you put video on your thread with the limited 10MB file size that can be loaded up, I have trouble loading a few pictures sometimes.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete 

thanks for your comments I’ll take a look at the points when I get a chance. The videos are uploaded to my YT account and then linked to the thread so are not uploaded to RMweb as such.

• Agree 1

Hi Ian,

Don't know how I've missed this thread for the last couple of years, good to see Exford coming back to life, excellent work sir! Just wasted part of the day watching all the videos on the thread ;) very inspirational. Scenically will it look very similar with low relief industrial buildings behind the junction?

(If you're taking requests then I'd love to see a remake of my favourite picture of the old Exford, with a 37 on seacows snaking around the curve and across the junction (clockwise direction!) From relief to main!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Scenically will it look very similar with low relief industrial buildings behind the junction?

Hi Matt

I didn’t think I’d seen you ‘liking’ or commenting here yet. I haven’t thought too much further than the tunnel and cliffs yet but as you’ve seen the original low relief warehouse is still around, so it’s possible. Funny you should mention the request, I only thought about recreating it again the other afternoon, maybe one for the next vid. ;)

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

Hi Matt

I didn’t think I’d seen you ‘liking’ or commenting here yet. 

Yeah, my bad, I'll blame work for keeping me too busy. 

Very impressed with the carpentry building up the helixes, is it relatively easy access under the scenic boards to it incase anything unintended happens?

I probably missed it early on, but how big is your shed?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Matt

Shed is 16x10 bought with intention of just housing the original loft layout. If the worst happens you can access the helix by diving underneath and sitting in the middle of it, and there is very little hidden track that can’t be accessed somehow.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 27/02/2021 at 01:09, P.C.M said:

Another top video Ian, I did notice some wagons drop/bounce  going trough the cross overs by the depot. Have you got a worn out frog or is their some ballast sticking up a bit high. I know some of my older points have a wider frog which can do the same with the newer more finescale wagon wheels. 

Cheers Peter.

19 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Hi Pete 

thanks for your comments I’ll take a look at the points when I get a chance. The videos are uploaded to my YT account and then linked to the thread so are not uploaded to RMweb as such.

That's exactly how I have to do mine, I also shrink mine using Handbrake, a free Software, to reduce its footprint by about 50% and speed up the You Tube Up Load.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Spent some time this weekend mixing up paints to try to get a Dawlishy colour for the cliffs and after several false starts I've ended up with something I'm happy with as a base for further colouring later.

97_RedcliffPan_210228.jpg.300ccd5f75b93945afc7e94067ae95f9.jpg

Well at least its not white anymore!

98_RedTunnel_210228.jpg.691ae66442aec351ca663ef7a98e1675.jpg

'Kennaway' tunnel where you can see the pathway to be going up the hill.

99_Redcliffs_210228.jpg.8273cc3f93e3fab3d55de4e10662effb.jpg

Looking the other way at the curve.

Whilst I'm sure some will look at the colour and tell me its all wrong, it is a rough match for the soil I have from the area that I used on the earlier loft version of the layout. This is the base and obviously the vast majority of it will be covered with greenery, but the exposed remains will be further coloured as things progress.

9_Hillside101009.JPG.c92013291aea95c2f6b7f9a54cb6a37d.JPG

October 2009 and the base colour in the loft, this was Terracotta emulsion leftover from a decorating job but fairly close match!

273_121rear_230214.jpg.aae56847bba6112fa209109851c7dc57.jpg

And this is how it ended up looking!

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 17

On 27/02/2021 at 13:45, Satan's Goldfish said:

Hi Ian,

(If you're taking requests then I'd love to see a remake of my favourite picture of the old Exford, with a 37 on seacows snaking around the curve and across the junction (clockwise direction!) From relief to main!)

If you’re doing requests Ian, can we have more freight?

• Agree 1

On 16/07/2018 at 21:04, Temeraire said:

Evening all

Well its been a while since the demise of my previous Exford Park layout that had to be removed from the loft of the family home three years ago. As you may have seen on the layout thread, it still existed in storage until very recently but it had been preventing me from moving forward in the shed that has been ready for several months. I finally bit the bullet and scrapped it thus forcing a start on something new after a visit to the board cutter at B&Q!

post-6922-0-00434500-1531769801.jpg

Seven sheets of 9mm ply cut up and loaded for the trip home, no going back.

The plan is to rebuild a better version of Exford Park similar in theme with the junction and mainlines passing a stabling point, but one or two differences and additions using the space more wisely I hope. Lots of doodling and changing of mind has happened over the last few months but now I'm off and running (more stumbling at the moment!) with a fairly clear idea of where I'm going.

One of the differences will be that the fiddle yard will be underneath the jct/stabling point side of the shed, rather than waste one side with non scenic track. This time the junction will be a double track curving away and four lines passing the stabling point rather than three. The double track will curve away and along the other side of the shed with a two platform 'Exford Park' station at the scenic break where the tracks turn across the doorway before reappearing as the two inner tracks of the four track mainline. In front of the station will be a couple of loops and sidings for freight interest/shunting including a cement terminal like Exeter Central had.

The other two lines will form a double track loop down and underneath to the FY, and to gain enough height each will complete a loop of a Helix to arrive roughly 300mm lower at the FY.

post-6922-0-94784200-1531770614.jpg

First up I've set about building the Helix and getting all the levels right this shows the support base in place in one corner.

post-6922-0-20958500-1531770637.jpg

First sections of trackbed marked out for cutting.

post-6922-0-62663000-1531770658.jpg

Both loops drying in the sun after undercoating to seal the wood.

post-6922-0-94966300-1531770824.jpg

It took a while but with the bed secured in place I started to add the first tracks.

post-6922-0-26403300-1531770944.jpg

This weekend I got the first parts of the entry and exit roads in place, one rising to the left the second will be going down.

post-6922-0-04966000-1531771031.jpg

The second layer ready to be fitted on top of the first and this will be the next move.

So there we go I've broken cover although there's not much to look at yet, and I'm sure initial progress will be slow until I get the helix and its approach tracks completed, but I'll try to update as things happen.

Nearly 3 years late to party but catching up....I do like the smell of fress cut plywood in morning! Que movie theme music with a Huey helicopter...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Temeraire said:

'Kennaway' tunnel where you can see the pathway to be going up the hill.

Just realised how forward looking your layout is - Old line through Kennaway tunnel, new diversion built out away from the cliffs.   :mellow:

It’s looking good.

Paul.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cheers Nigel and you’re still welcome to visit just let me know when your free! Mainly though thanks for your response, the first person to actually post something after four updates from me, just not interesting enough I guess.

• Friendly/supportive 1