Can't remember where we got our (GWR / British racing green one) from, but they are sold as sit-on aids for weeding gardens.  Personally I don't like it for the intended purpose, but I think it will do the job for Martin admirably,as rapid transport through a Duck-under. It has a useful tray in the base enabling hands-free propulsion through the access gap. 

Edited by DonB

• RMweb Gold

Will crash helmets be supplied ?

Also, padding the underside of the frame with pipe insulation might prevent too many injuries.

Can you split the lifting board in to two lifting boards (Tower Bridge style), so they are not as long and don't hit the ceiling ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Will there be someone at one end of the room pumping air to the other end using a bellows made of cocoa tins?

Make sure the first prisoner down the tunnel isn't claustrophobic...

:jester:

Edited by Harlequin

So many good ideas. I have realised that having the lift-out section on a trolley might work because when leaving the room you could pull it out of its slot and then push it down the "aisle" of the operating well enough to easily step through (even with my portly girth). Going in you push it ahead of you, then to the left and step through.

However... drat! ... what if several operators need to enter? Hm ... thinking as I type here, or typing a I think ... that won't work as not enough room in the operating well to have the moved-aside trolley and space for people to get past. Who designed this daft set-up?

Tower Bridge device... interesting! That's actually a better option than the lifting-out-freely board because with one of those its sods law that I'll one day drop it.

The door opens outwards already. I made sure that was part of the spec when the builders replaced the old one.

The wheeled stool as Don says is a gardening one. You can get them on Amazon for about £25 though mine was an e-Bay buy for £15. Googling for "wheeled gardening stool" will get you what you want; there's various types. I'm going to fix handrails about 12" from the floor on the two sets of legs either side of the "trundle-under" so a person can pull themselves through. I tried it for height and its perfect, though as Stu says, some under-board padding will be needed.

Some edits of the plan attached below where the continuous run circuit joins the end-to-end track, with points now moved outside tunnels. Also an edit of Witts End station engine shed shifting it off the lifting flap.

post-34294-0-63660700-1548694146.png

post-34294-0-09529900-1548694153.png

post-34294-0-82738000-1548694166_thumb.png

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Rather than a trolley what about just four legs with castors at the bottom?  That way, provided you can't tip it over, you can never drop it and just need to ensure there is a reliable method of track alignment.

Mind you, you still have the multiple visitor problem.

There's always this: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132865-lifting-baseboard-section-usa-style/?hl=%2Blifting+%2Bsection

• Like 4

It is a typically impressive electro-mechanical American solution where money is no limit.

I am very limited on height, about 32.5" above baseboard on top of which about 7" total of model height must be added, but after a quick measure up the 25" available to lift the board will give ample room to get under with just a small obsequious bowing of the head as you enter the holy of holies. I could probably do something with cable and a pulley but we end up with four ugly great vertical struts to carry the thing...

I still think the Tower Bridge approach may work best given the small amount of space. Cutting the lifting flap in two makes each part half the weight as well as half the length (which will ease the stress forces).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The much loved and now dismantled Brookford layout on NGRMO used 'flying sections' that were lifted up by pulleys and the cables/cord detached once the layout section was in place.  Possibly not such a good solution though for a doorway since there was some fiddling about involved with attaching and detaching the lifting cords.

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking about something like this:

post-32492-0-78347000-1548737658_thumb.png

Sorry, that image is not as clear as I'd like but I hope you can see the idea. Slide rails either side of the doorway support the lifting section from below with diagonal braces and ropes pulleys and counterweights make it easy to lift - like a sash window.

Allowing 200mm for scenics above the lifting section frame it would rise about 680mm.

The counterweights are below the fixed baseboards either side so that they have room to drop 680mm.

The slide rails, fixings and counterweight ropes intrude into the baseboard area as little as possible but some small adjustment of the layout design might still be needed.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 1/28/2019 at 2:21 PM, Martin S-C said:

We discussed mounting the moveable section on a trolley but the operating well isn't wide enough to push it out of its recess and then squeeze by.

post-34294-0-85104000-1548685218_thumb.jpg

Can you not have a removable trolley that you roll down (in the orientation of the diagram), then to the left - into the space occupied by the operator by the colliery in the diagram, allowing you to walk through from the right-hand side of the operating well?

• Like 1

Impressive Phil! My concern with that design is there is still a lot of structural parts right behind the baseboards to impinge on the sense of immersion. With such a narrow room I am reluctant to move the baseboards inwards (or chop holes in them) to allow the counterweight cords through. Right now, after more measuring around I think the original lifting flap will work, as long as I keep it to no more than 25" wide. I have that amount of height to play with.

All this use of brain cells is amazing but you'd have thought that all the possible designs for lifting layout sections for access into operating wells had all been thought of years ago and there's no more scope for new ideas any more.

3 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Can you not have a removable trolley that you roll down (in the orientation of the diagram), then to the left - into the space occupied by the operator by the colliery in the diagram, allowing you to walk through from the right-hand side of the operating well?

Well spotted. I am chewing over that idea as well.

Edited by Martin S-C

• RMweb Gold

Another idea might be to use the trolley, but have it so the b/board can be lowered, so it can fit in a 'garage' under another part of the layout, rather than be in the main floor space.

I'm not sure at the moment how best to raise and lower the b/bboard, but maybe just simple concentric tubes (like a car aerial or tripod leg) and when lowered it sits on a shelf (like your rolling stool). When raised it would be locked into the main b/board.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Very nice, lots of character. However I imagine the Big Green Engine on the left is saying something like "What are you doing on my important express track you 'orrible little Peckett?"

I think it's saying "How the heck am I supposed to get round that corner?".

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1