The baseboard work of the LLC is really impressive - you must be really chuffed. I am sorry to here about the illness that one of the guys is suffering, I wish him all the best. It is worth investing in a solid base for your layout, particularly given the size and nature of it and the fact it is going to take a few years to fully develop. Sometimes we are all too keen to skimp and save on baseboards and the early aspects of construction but will happily spend hundreds on the locomotives that run on the layout! Fingers-crossed for a succesful day on Tuesday.

It must be so exciting to see the project gradually taking shape. As I have said before, so I apologise for sounding like a stuck record, I absolutely love the whole design and concept of your railway Martin. It is wonderful 'proper' modelling. It's definitely not old fashioned or out dated, but it reminds me of the modelling giants you have often referenced such as Ahern, PD Hancock, Denny at al. 

You are blessed with a great space but your design, and the careful planning you have carried out, have really maximised its use and exploited the potential. I love these system-bases layouts, which can depict a whole railway, and it is unfortunately something we are all too rarely nowadays. There are obvious reasons for this, notably lack of space in modern houses, but also I think a lack of ability to plan and follow trough larger, long-term projects. I think this is somewhat a reflection of the first world 21st Century, where attention spans are somewhat lacking and there is a need for short term thing and 'instant-ness' (terrible English Iknow but hopefully you understand the point!) in all areas of life. I include myself in this mindset, it is very much indicative of my generation (I'm a child of the '80s!). There is room for all approaches in our hobby though and thank goodness for that :)

Anyway, I will cease my rambling, I don't really know what I am trying to say except that.... "I likes this!!" :laugh_mini: I wish you all the best for Tuesday, and absolutely cannot wait to see your layout develop! 

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't want to hijack Martins fantastic thread but i wanted to say thank you for all the kind comments in regards to the base frames for Martins layout.

Alan our carpenter and my farther in law is doing well and fighting the fight. He takes pride in his work and is the backbone of our success as a business.

This was a huge undertaking given his health and getting kind comments like you all have made gives him and us a huge lift. We are looking forward to the next stage of the build for Martin, thank you again.

On a personal note, Martin the stock is superb and i may have a couple of locos for you to look at of my own. I am looking forward to creating a fantastic scene for this great looking stock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thank you all for all kind comments. Your feedback really empowers me and makes me want to crack on with all this.

James - cheers, that confirmation is good to have.

Yes, Annie the LNWR beer van is a really nice vehicle. The chassis is brass but very old, it wouldn't surprise me if it dates from when brass kits were just starting to hit the mainstream. I'm pretty sure the end stanchions are matchsticks. It has its rough edges but as you say is a thing of its time and has obviously already had a long career on someone's layout. The slightly crude construction has that feel to it which says a lot about when it was built. I am very pleased I came across it. There were three of them being sold by the same person on e-Bay and my bids were enough to secure only one of them.

Dsc03182.jpg.b366e6c350e4d52585e54d1997e06bfe.jpg

Dsc03184.jpg.cc00b12bf52d7d25e963f1aaa104dc0c.jpg

David - thanks. Yes, I'm pretty excited by the whole thing. Its by far the most ambitious model railway I've attempted. I suppose some might call me a cheque-book modeller by employing professionals to do a lot of the work but the other option was to build it myself and if that were the case I would never ever have attempted such a huge model. I'd have gone for something much smaller. I was ruminating on the issue of "quick fix" modelling just the other day about how micro layouts are more and more common nowadays. People often speak of "this years layout will be...", build something, play with it for an exhibition season or two then sell it on and do something else. Of course smaller homes may be one reason for this but as you mention the attention span of our modern times might also be impacting the hobby. The old model railway hobby where the Ahern's, the Denny's and the Hancock's built a layout for life seems to be far less common these days. I think I just invest too much into the things I create to ever want to sell them. The 2 or 3 small layouts I have built in the past and which reached a presentable standard were all very very painful to part with even if they were only extremely average in construction and presentation.

Mason - thanks for your comments on the rolling stock. My problem is I like goods wagons far too much. I really ought to get some passenger coaches finished and a couple more locos for the line will soon be a necessity!

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 7

Martin,

I for one would never dismiss your approach and project as cheque book modelling. It is just very sensible! Realising there are some things you can do, like or enjoy or are good at and there are other aspects of the hobby which you would rather outsource (I hate that term but it is relevant) is just a sensible use of time and resources. If you are in a position to bring someone in to help, then that is great. It means you can concentrate on the areas of the project which you enjoy most. For instance, your work on the rolling stock is superb! 

Let's face it, the scale of your project is immense and greater than any of us are ever likely to attempt. It is just common sense to share resources, time and workload, rather than tackling it all by yourself. It is certainly not a one man project in my opinion and makes the fruition of the project much more achievable. I also thing the 'sharing' and social aspect of involving others is really important and will make the whole thing more enjoyable. After all, this is a hobby for fun, escapism, release from every day life!

Keep posting and sharing. It is great to see your continuing progress.

David

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That tarp over the traction engine has come out remarkably well, it looks very realistic. My only concern is that I would have thought that it will fly up and get out of gauge at the slightest gust of wind. I would have expected for some ropes to be going over the top of the tarp to keep it down, as it is, I would think that the rings in the sheet would get drawn out rather quickly...

I would never have thought that a crème egg wrapper could be changed so dramtically!

Andy G

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, uax6 said:

That tarp over the traction engine has come out remarkably well, it looks very realistic. My only concern is that I would have thought that it will fly up and get out of gauge at the slightest gust of wind. I would have expected for some ropes to be going over the top of the tarp to keep it down, as it is, I would think that the rings in the sheet would get drawn out rather quickly...

Thanks for that observation Andy. I felt there was something lacking about it but couldn't put my finger on it, and now you have. I shall add some more ropes.

Thank you James.

It's curious. I had refrained from discussing this model and I felt sure that if anyone brought the subject up, it would be you. It shows that you have a good eye for interesting architecture.

No, not my work, I am sorry to say. The mill model was another happy encounter on e-Bay. It cost me the princely sum of £22.00. I do waste horrible sums on e-Bay but now and again when the planets align and the chicken entrails portend a great victory I do get a bargain - enough of them to offset the bad (aka expensive) days. A while ago, when I was going through my replacement collection of Railway Modeller magazines I realised it was a copy of Allan Downes' model of Houghton Mill. I confess my heart skipped a beat wondering if by some insane chance trail of fortune he'd sold his model and it had found it's way to me but no, this is a reasonably skilled rendition of either Allan's model or the actual mill. Probably Allan's version as it is compressed down considerably in the same dimensions as his.

1431745953052-img9665.jpg

Dsc02806.jpg

Dsc03187.jpg.c622462bd693b67d48606ca035b06999.jpg

• Like 8

19 hours ago, uax6 said:

That tarp over the traction engine has come out remarkably well, it looks very realistic. My only concern is that I would have thought that it will fly up and get out of gauge at the slightest gust of wind. I would have expected for some ropes to be going over the top of the tarp to keep it down, as it is, I would think that the rings in the sheet would get drawn out rather quickly.

Andy G

1) Using a new blade slice off the moulded plastic securing rings from the model's deck.

2) Take a pin drill and drill out a hole beside the steel loop on each ring.

3) Glue in lengths of 0.3mm brass wire and clip off the bits from underneath. Ensure a small length is proud of the deck to make an additional anchor to glue new rings onto.

Dsc03185.jpg.910e9a837b41d0f2de8023eb287260b5.jpg

Dsc03186.jpg.4254264533abedf32b80836292ec1a72.jpg

4) Pull 8 links off some chain. I have a few different sizes of chain laying about but settled on a copper coated steel chain that was 15 links per inch. When I squashed the oval links mostly circular with flat pliers they came out about the right diameter. The rings were a bit chunky though.

5) Glue circular links behind the new raised studs on the wagon deck.

Dsc03188.jpg.62ea5db34a6a765627525141fe267978.jpg

6) Thread cotton through the links back and forth corset style (ooh, er, missus) and glue the loose end away out of sight somewhere.

7) Paint securing loops rusty colour. Repair all the damage your eager fingers have done to the rest of the wagon's paintwork. Grr.

8) Enjoy.

Dsc03189.jpg.97569b9373b2609a4e695ab5c3be13e9.jpg

Dsc03190.jpg.0c16174595eefdc64fc2454ecf17cf19.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

And the baseboards in place for Witts End (datum +0") and the east end of Puddlebrook Junc. (datum +2").

Dsc03195.jpg.19558fe3d9be53d793849173f2cccf58.jpg

The trackbed will continue on from the near corner of the far end of the station climbing up over the wooden trestle that spans the River Aight and the line then enters a tunnel under Green Soudley station which will be at +5" at about where the roll of paper is. In the extreme front right corner will be Witts End engine shed.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Will there be some kind of latch to support the lifting section?  You know you'll catch it and bring it crashing down when you're carrying something in both hands and can't prevent it from falling.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes, a bolt on the underside will push into a latch attached to the side of the door reveal. It tips comfortably right over so alternatively some solid item on the far side. A chimney associated with the colliery is a possibility - constructed from a solid piece of wood and screwed below baseboard to the main frame and concealed by brick papers or similar.

As the photo might show the clearance was incredibly tight, about 1/2" to the ceiling. The flap is 29" wide, the most we could fit which is why I was obliged in the end to dispense with a number of other more elegant designs.

Given the baseboard heights it looks like I'll have to paint the light switch blue as well ;)

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/03/2019 at 11:27, James Harrison said:

The Airfix Lowmac is also apparently quite close to a Lancashire Derbyshire & East Coast type predating 1906, so can still pass as pre-grouping.

Also, it can be converted to a London and Brighton version, just by making the bottom outer corners of the frames or outer girders rounded. That's what I did with mine.

• Informative/Useful 3

Good evening Martin. I've been reading this thread since you started and am greatly enjoying your build. I like "system" layouts, and I have long admired the Madder Valley, so I was instantly taken with your idea. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Alex

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Activity today so far.

JO50al8U.jpeg.d46d701f70ea21c385cbcc7025a77555.jpeg

Some planning going on.

aHRMYH2Q.jpeg.7bb1cbfba98e77782defe7e0c755dc3c.jpeg

Qyqy0lHE.jpeg.2fc7aec763057658f34a85ef0a5bf616.jpeg

Lifting flap installed.

Make sure the hinge pins are above rail level. Don't ask why I mention this...

• Like 2