• RMweb Premium

Signalman's worst nightmare. I always checked, checked and checked again before authorising this type of move.

Also tried to place some onus on the driver by saying, "Check that the road is set."

Difficult task admittedly for drivers. I've seen more brains in a bag of maggots than some had.

Incidentally re waving flags, sticking them out of the window.

I was always told not to wave the thing but to display it. This meant holding it at the top and the bottom so that it could CLEARLY be seen.

If two locos were present steps had to be taken so that only the driver of the authorised train could see it. 

Waving it out of a window could be misconstrued by other drivers.

Both of my GNoSR boxes will be equipped with a man with a green flag when I get around to it.

This could be used to indicate to the driver that he had been accepted at the next station under the Warning Arrangement, where authorised.

They are not much used on the real thing nowadays.

The last time that I showed a red flag to a driver, before retirement, he had taken half a long freight train past me in emergency braking mode and was worried that I would report him for a SPAD (which technically it was).

Authorisation by a radio message, which is recorded, and must be repeated back word for word is the modern railway's preferred option.

Ian T

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

"I've seen more brains in a bag of maggots."

This made me chuckle.

Thanks for the note about waving flags vs displaying them clearly. A figure holding the flag with his other arm stretching out the lower far corner of it to keep it taut would seem to be a better representation.

• Agree 3

A brief break from thoughts of signalling, here's this afternoon's work in MSPaint transcribing from photos a sketch of the main leg arrangement for the River Aight bridge. The photos I am working from actually show different bridges on the Maldon line but their essential elements are similar and my drawing is a simplification of the general idea. I wanted something that was close enough to look English and not North American but I wasn't desperate to model an exact copy.

Trestle_02.png.339008c883b65180c6a4fd9d27cc018c.png

Blackwater_05.JPG.d20398e433810c3160a2410bf118597f.JPG

Blackwater_07.jpg.c230f5cce833abe37ca43e963f55d96d.jpg

1123369749_WickhamBishopsViaduct02.jpg.32d7493b5427f611bfb16b2624b8eb88.jpg

6148361480_ccd6924efe_b.jpg.5d367fc711ed3274edb4259293a5d537.jpg

asenby1_zpsc5bd7435.jpg.2e80df08a762bab0f1e3767abb610221.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been quiet this last few days as I'm doing a 4 day trip to the Forest of Dean to get the lay of the land, study farming types (turns out its basically sheep!) and photograph any interesting older buildings. Unfortunately this fieldwork lark is proving to be a bit of a chore.

IMG_20190523_173952.jpg.061bbbe3e84aafb2f6c4479302e01831.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Oh Martin. How can you endure such hardship mate! My heart goes out to you it really does. Or maybe that was my stomach. 

Enjoy.

Regards Lez.  

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

55 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Delicious! 
You must endure, Martin. Endure :P

I am trying very hard. Its awfully difficult to get out of the Speech House Hotel orangery and walk the few yards back to my bed...

22 minutes ago, Northroader said:

That ain’t Cinderford Chippy.. You sure you’re in the Forest?

Right in the middle. Cinderford is not so great and really good for one thing only. The Curry Leaf Indian restaurant. Checking out the popadums in there was hard going I can tell you.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

Cinderford is not so great and really good for one thing only. The Curry Leaf Indian restaurant. Checking out the popadums in there was hard going I can tell you.

Your sacrifice is well appreciated by the rest of us.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

13 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I have been quiet this last few days as I'm doing a 4 day trip to the Forest of Dean to get the lay of the land, study farming types (turns out its basically sheep!) and photograph any interesting older buildings. Unfortunately this fieldwork lark is proving to be a bit of a chore.

Urghh Coronation Chicken - they always do Coronation Chicken, is it an Inja throwback of some sort.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I am trying very hard. Its awfully difficult to get out of the Speech House Hotel orangery and walk the few yards back to my bed...

Right in the middle. Cinderford is not so great and really good for one thing only. The Curry Leaf Indian restaurant. Checking out the popadums in there was hard going I can tell you.

The things you have to suffer for RM Web!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

12 hours ago, Regularity said:

Your sacrifice is well appreciated by the rest of us.

Someone's got to take one for the team.

10 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Urghh Coronation Chicken - they always do Coronation Chicken, is it an Inja throwback of some sort.

Not Coronation chicken, its red Leicester cheese and pickle and was utterly delicious, I mean awful. I had to force down every mouthful, such an ordeal. I hope this blasted layout is worth these sacrifices. I'm going to have to widen the operating wells by 3" when I get back and that's going to play havoc with the track plan.

I'll upload some images tomorrow night proving that I did escape the hotel restaurant a few times and burn some calories. Probably not enough to balance against the food intake but some.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Thank heavens it wasn't coronation chicken, which is an insult to coronations, chickens, and faux-indian-cookery.

More to the point, could you explain the point of high tea?

I've only tried a proper high tea about three times, and it seemed to occur just when I wasn't hungry, and cause a giant caffeine (I drink coffee, not tea), cream and sugar rush that spoiled the rest of the day. On the most recent occasion, my good lady ate the tea, came home, and promptly fell asleep for about three hours, although that might have been because she took the option that swopped actual tea for more than one glass of Kir Royale.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Thank heavens it wasn't coronation chicken, which is an insult to coronations, chickens, and faux-indian-cookery.

More to the point, could you explain the point of high tea?

I've only tried a proper high tea about three times, and it seemed to occur just when I wasn't hungry, and cause a giant caffeine (I drink coffee, not tea), cream and sugar rush that spoiled the rest of the day. On the most recent occasion, my good lady ate the tea, came home, and promptly fell asleep for about three hours, although that might have been because she took the option that swopped actual tea for more than one glass of Kir Royale.

A "proper high tea" includes a hot savoury dish, such as kippers or Welsh rarebit. Without such a dish it is only "afternoon tea".

The point is to fill the tedious space between luncheon and supper and/or, as your good lady knows, to ensure that you don't have excess blood in your alcohol stream.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2019 at 15:01, ianathompson said:

Signalman's worst nightmare. I always checked, checked and checked again before authorising this type of move.

Signalman, reap as you sow:

495410252_DY581AccidentatWymondhamJunction.jpg.632cb2bd16f4d7acdcd8fb76b682519c.jpg

NRM DY 581 released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence.

Though to be fair, this one might be a runaway - I've not seen the RI accident report - though in a lot of these cases there is some signalling error or equipment defect involved too. Photo is dated 3 Dec 1892, there seems to be snow on the ground which might suggest icy rail leading to a runaway, or signals frozen in the off position.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 5

Two bells: "train is entering signal cabin section".

Quite the pile-up. Loco seems to have left the rails and ploughed into the signal box and the loaded wagons had so much momentum when they hit the tender, it was forced upwards as the wagons continued into a crushed heap under it. The track visible in the right foreground appears to run straight towards the signal cabin so I wonder if it was a passing siding and the mineral train overran the trap point?

Regarding afternoon teas, the kind you get served in the better sort of English hotel and even some pubs now are excessive and probably big enough to do as a main meal of the day. This one certainly did.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Two bells: "train is entering signal cabin section".

Quite the pile-up. Loco seems to have left the rails and ploughed into the signal box and the loaded wagons had so much momentum when they hit the tender, it was forced upwards as the wagons continued into a crushed heap under it. The track visible in the right foreground appears to run straight towards the signal cabin so I wonder if it was a passing siding and the mineral train overran the trap point?

I think that's right. The remains of a standard Midland rail-built buffer stop can be seen alongside the engine.

I've been puzzling about this since posting it, since I can't relate it to the layout at Wymondham, the first station east of Saxby on the Saxby & Bourne line. Also, the accident must have been before the opening of the line to passengers in 1893 - it was common practice to run goods trains for a while before the BoT inspection and official opening, to consolidate the road.

• Informative/Useful 2