3 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

BTW Mr Wolf, I need to thank you again for sending me the Insulfish van body and the spare roof you had, very generous of you and if you need any kit bits in return any time just send me a PM.

No worries, I knew it would turn into something worth seeing.

BTW, I've found three more body shells if you fancy building a fleet.

Many thanks but for now, one of those is enough! I have 4 of their H&BR bodies to work through.

Question for the assembled honourable ladies and gentlemen - does anyone know of a company that makes 4mm scale transfers for Welsh pre-grouping companies? I'm looking for Cambrian Railways lettering for a box van as per the painting on page 34 of " The Liveries of the Pre-Grouping Railways - Volume One - Wales and the West of England".

Edited by Martin S-C

2 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

For now, one of those is enough! I have 4 of their H&BR bodies to work through.

Question for the assembled honourable ladies and gentlemen - does anyone know of a company that makes 4mm scale transfers for Welsh pre-grouping companies? I'm looking for Cambrian Railways lettering for a box van as per the painting on page 34 of " The Liveries of the Pre-Grouping Railways - Volume One - Wales and the West of England".

Try this, may have something you are looking for;

https://www.wrrc.org.uk/transfers.php

• Thanks 1

Hi all. Can anyone help identify this model wagon. I have never come across a company with the initials "M S [R]" and the curious ochre yellow livery is a mystery as well. It is marked "10 TONS" lower left and numbered "24" lower right. It has independent brake levers both side acting on a single shoe on one wheel each side.

I just bought it on e-Bay as a curiosity. Its a white metal kit and judging by the internal corners is probably K's but I'm not certain of that. No markings of any kind underneath.

Wonky_Wagon_01.png.624cd994c5866c22f096cc8ac44361f0.png

Wonky_Wagon_02.png.919f336a9fa3e54c17575b459e411d8b.png

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Hi all. Can anyone help identify this model wagon. I have never come across a company with the initials "M S [R]" and the curious ochre yellow livery is a mystery as well. It is marked "10 TONS" lower left and numbered "24" lower right. It has independent brake levers both side acting on a single shoe on one wheel each side.

I just bought it on e-Bay as a curiosity. Its a white metal kit and judging by the internal corners is probably K's but I'm not certain of that. No markings of any kind underneath.

The livery and markings are certainly freelance. Other than that, it looks to be a representation of a LB&SCR Open A. It's lost its single brake-block.

I bought it for £8 so I think that's a fair price. The paintwork (weathering?) has a lovely patina to it and its clearly very old so I plan to keep the imaginary livery and expend some TLC on the interior and replace the broken brake gear. I've already swapped the EM wheels out for 00.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I bought it for £8 so I think that's a fair price. The paintwork (weathering?) has a lovely patina to it and its clearly very old so I plan to keep the imaginary livery and expend some TLC on the interior and replace the broken brake gear. I've already swapped the EM wheels out for 00.

It is a lovely wagon. Kind of looks like something I'd make to be honest - plausible but not quite matching anything specific.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Plausible but not quite matching anything specific.

That's a nice way to describe your style. I think I'm the same. While its rewarding to carefully follow drawings and prototype photos I think I get more pleasure from freelancing something that looks the part but isn't a real vehicle.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

While its rewarding to carefully follow drawings and prototype photos I think I get more pleasure from freelancing something that looks the part but isn't a real vehicle.

That’s actually quite difficult - possibly harder than following a specific prototype - but I think you do it very well.

• Agree 4

That's very kind. Coming from you especially - so I must be doing something right. The problem with freelancing is there's two ways you can go. @Edwardian does it very strictly with a keen eye on exactly what locomotives a small company might obtain from the then-current independent manufacturers and has chosen limited wagon and coach types so that his company is as real and homogenous as any other actual pre-group mid-sized concern.

The other way of doing it is my method and the pitfall here is restraint! There are so many beautiful pre-group models available now and so many curious and exotic looking wagons that limiting myself is the critical problem. I've chosen liveries and markings and am more or less keeping to locomotive wheel arrangements for various traffics but when something like the beautiful new improved Precedent class comes along my knees turn to water and its "add to cart".

So yes, in some way freelancing can be a bit chaotic and I am not terribly good at self-discipline in these matters. I already have far too much rolling stock and can't seem to stop buying the odd curio here and there because it simply appeals.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, to be cited as a model of restraint is to credit me with more credit than I deserve, but thanks!

If and when I get the test track and CA operational, the idea is to run anything I like. The test track is intended to be generic, so everything and nothing fits in. Yes, CA is conceived to run a specific and dedicated set of stock, but CA I had thought could also stage Rule Number 1 running sessions.

However, as 1905 is the half-centenary of the WNR, another option is a Cavalcade, with all or any pre-Grouping companies participating!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I am in need of some "how to" advice.

I am going to take the plunge and make my first ever attempt at kit building in brass. Would people say that soldering is essential? Are there any other assembly forms available? I have used quite a few etches of little details such as grab handles and foot steps and have had success attaching these with cyanoacrylate glue.

Has anyone built one of the Mousa Models wagons? They just have axle box guides and bearings in brass so if anyone has tackled one of them and could give some pointers I'd appreciate it. The LNWR 1-plank wagon kit I have comes without instructions as well, so is assuming a level of knowledge that I may not have attained!

There are 3 alternative brake blocks and 2 brake levers but I assume only 1 is needed. I can't see how the sprung buffers function as there appears to be a hole right through the buffer guide and the headstock and it seems the tiny spring will either pass right through and/or there's no obvious means of securing the buffer ram in guide. All very confusing!

Mind you the 3D printed working 3-link couplings are extremely impressive but  hardly dare touch them in case they crumble to pieces.

Dsc07438.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Can anyone help identify this model wagon.

I have two identical wagons and they are K's.  They have a square raised plate cast centrally on the inside of the sides saying  'A K's Model'.  It may be they have been removed on your wagon.

They were given to me by a friend who had acquired them from another modeller.  They are SECR and not 'Brighton'.

I'm not sure mine will be of much practical use as they are very heavy and not free running.  The dome ended Jackson wheels just run in the white metal axle boxes.

As they seem to be firmly glued with what looks like Araldite I don't think it will be possible to get the wheels out and put in bearings.  However, they have a certain charm and will suit my light railway.

Rodney

Thanks for that additional information. My wagon has brass top hat bearings. It arrived with EM wheelsets and easing these out and 00 ones in wasn't a problem at all, though the white metal in the kit has not aged well. When I removed the rather badly damaged brake gear is more or less crumbled away so I don't pan to put any more pressure on the springs/guard iron assemblies.

2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I am in need of some "how to" advice.

I am going to take the plunge and make my first ever attempt at kit building in brass. Would people say that soldering is essential? Are there any other assembly forms available? I have used quite a few etches of little details such as grab handles and foot steps and have had success attaching these with cyanoacrylate glue.

Has anyone built one of the Mousa Models wagons? They just have axle box guides and bearings in brass so if anyone has tackled one of them and could give some pointers I'd appreciate it. The LNWR 1-plank wagon kit I have comes without instructions as well, so is assuming a level of knowledge that I may not have attained!

There are 3 alternative brake blocks and 2 brake levers but I assume only 1 is needed. I can't see how the sprung buffers function as there appears to be a hole right through the buffer guide and the headstock and it seems the tiny spring will either pass right through and/or there's no obvious means of securing the buffer ram in guide. All very confusing!

Mind you the 3D printed working 3-link couplings are extremely impressive but  hardly dare touch them in case they crumble to pieces.

Dsc07438.jpg

Hi Martin doesn't look there will be much if any need to solder here. I have not seen one in the flesh but from your picture looks like you'll need to fold the W irons at right angles and fix to the floor, either cyanoacrylate or similar. The brass coupling hooks a pair to be dummy ones should you be using tension couplings.

I am not experienced with compensation, I tried once and fouled everything so I keep it simple and rigid although those in the middle do appear to be for the assembly of suspension.

Random wire could be for extra detailing with the brakes or there is a coupling method running a wire under the body.

Buffers - you may have to drill a tiny hole in the headstocks for the rams to travel though if the springs are held within by the outer end of the buffers. The buffer bases are then fixed to the headstock trapping the springs within the buffers. the rams then are able to travel through the drilled hole and with a short right angle bend at the end, held in place.

Obvious duplicates will be spares.

Before any surgery please remember I am not experience with these kits and never seem one before so best wait for expert advice but just though I would throw some food for thought.

Happy Christmas.

I've discovered via a conversation on FaceBook that these kits use full suspension by Bill Bedford and that is what the length of wire is for. To me it looks fearsomely complex but I'll have a bash at it. If worst comes to worst I can place the brass underneath bits aside and use white metal or plastic parts from the bits box.

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2205

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1