Pre-Grouping Literary Section?

Should the Literary threads have thier own section?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Literary threads have thier own section?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone!

Following the growing trend of people starting literary threads in the pre-grouping section I fired off a PM to Andy Y to ask about a sub-forum being setup inside the pre-grouping section for these.

He has suggested I setup a thread to gather the opinions of other users, so if you think this would be a good (or bad) idea then leave a reply to this thread and we may well see it appear in the near future!! Meaning we can keep the main "Pre-Grouping" section clear for people that don't want to see the literary stuff.

Gary

EDIT: Poll now created as suggested by Regularity below!

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I have mixed thoughts on this one.

If the 'literary' elements of the thread lend colour and background to the fiction that is the model then I think they should remain within the main thread.  The reason being that they, hopefully, contribute to the overarching idea or image that is being created.  Several folk on here have done this successfully.  Sometimes the whimsy adds value to the model, giving it a greater sense of life.

If, however, the literary element very much stands alone, with its own 'life', separate from the model then, perhaps, a separate sub-forum may be a good thing.  Having its own dedicated space may encourage this aspect of the hobby; that would be a good thing.

Many years ago I was a member of a model railway club where one of our members created a great deal of 'literary' back story for his modelling; it had the effect of bringing to life some of what was made.  For that alone, the stories were worth having.

Anyway, I'll have a bit more of a think, and then vote.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Although I have voted "don't care" I would say that if the literary thread is directly related to a model being designed or under construction then they should be together in the same thread.

Gordon A

A good point, the only problem I see with this is when threads get longer, take my Oak Hill thread for example, that includes a script for a potential YouTube series in it, however at 80 pages long I couldn't tell you where in the thread it is. If there were a separate literary section I may well post some more about that in there, otherwise it has stayed off of RMWeb.

Gary

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

Following the growing trend of people starting literary threads in the pre-grouping section I fired off a PM to Andy Y to ask about a sub-forum being setup inside the pre-grouping section for these.

He has suggested I setup a thread to gather the opinions of other users, so if you think this would be a good (or bad) idea then leave a reply to this thread and we may well see it appear in the near future!! Meaning we can keep the main "Pre-Grouping" section clear for people that don't want to see the literary stuff.

Gary

EDIT: Poll now created as suggested by Regularity below!

I have concocted a 'back story' for at least one of my own layouts but it amounted to no more than one post of around 200 words, so I do get the idea of wanting to write something to set the scene for a layout that isn't a prototype location but some of these threads are putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. I really don't want to read a work of fiction where, at some point yet to be determined, the author may build a layout based on his or her literary work.

I know that it's fast becoming an old-fashioned idea but a model railway forum is supposed to be about actual 3D railway modelling, not creative writing. If people want to write stories, whether with a Pre-Grouping theme, a modern image theme, or whatever else it may be that in some way relates to railways and modelling  then surely a personal blog is the place to do it?

Edited by Ruston