New Black Dwarf Lightmoor Titles

81A Oldoak

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2019 at 21:01, Captain Kernow said:

Is this the next volume in the series hitherto produced by Wild Swan?

Yes it is.

I'm hoping I/we may also get volume 3 in the series reprinted, under Wild Swan.

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Yes it is.

Fab!

2 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

I'm hoping I/we may also get volume 3 in the series reprinted, under Wild Swan.

Fab!

But every time I've asked about Volume 3, over a period of several years (and especially when WSP was under the 'ancien regime'), I was told that there wasn't the demand for it, so I ended up purchasing a second-hand copy (which is fine and jolly interesting too).

So now we might see a reprint, that's also very good news. Volume 3 is one of the more interesting ones, in my view.

• 1 month later...

At the Lydney show today, there were the covers for Vol. 5 of the Severn and Wye, Lydney Docks, and The Midland in South Gloucestershire Vol. 4A Eastgate to Stonehouse and 4B Stonehouse to Westerleigh. Neil has found more material for these volumes as it was originally to be one volume.

The Lydney Docks book will be in the style of the previous volumes, but I understand friendly discussions as to the publisher are ongoing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Severn and Wye Volume 5 Lydney Docks is available from Lightmoor Press and has been sent to their stockists. 

In the Dean Forest Railway Bookshop today. 

Volumes 4A and 4B of the Gloucestershire Midland Lines South are also available. 4A covers Eastgate Station and the Tuffley Loop, Gloucester Docks, Line to Stonehouse with the Stroud and Nailsworth branches. 

4B covers the line to Westerleigh plus the Sharpness Dursley and Thornbury branches. 

All three are superb with the two all colour albums containing many interesting photos.

• Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Fenway Park said:

Severn and Wye Volume 5 Lydney Docks is available from Lightmoor Press and has been sent to their stockists. 

In the Dean Forest Railway Bookshop today. 

Volumes 4A and 4B of the Gloucestershire Midland Lines South are also available. 4A covers Eastgate Station and the Tuffley Loop, Gloucester Docks, Line to Stonehouse with the Stroud and Nailsworth branches. 

4B covers the line to Westerleigh plus the Sharpness Dursley and Thornbury branches. 

All three are superb with the two all colour albums containing many interesting photos.

Got my Vol 5 S&W from James Hudson at Wakefield show over the weekend.  It was still warm from the printing press....................

I had to resist  4A and 4B as I've absolutely no room left on my shelves to put them.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 18/11/2019 at 23:02, 5050 said:

I had to resist  4A and 4B as I've absolutely no room left on my shelves to put them.

You'll be missing out on two fantastic volumes if you do. A real treat to get two Neil Parkhouse colour volumes at the same time!

• Agree 1

• 7 months later...

New books from Lightmoor Press including Volume 10  British Railways the first 25 years. Mid Wales and the Cambrian Coast. Caledonian Railway locomotives: The Classic Years and James Smart of Chalford. 
The last deals with canal and waterway working on the Thames and Severn canal and associated waterways.

There is also Branch Lines to Thetford from Peter Paye. Should be good following his earlier works. Also Volume 2 Of GWR Broad Gauge locomotives Volume 2.

Volume 10 is tempting.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A quick compliment to Lightmoor on their excellent direct order service which I have found in the last week to be as good as ever.  Two books delivered within 24 hours of ordering and excellently packed as always.  The books of course are fully up to the standard we expect from Lightmoor, a really good company to deal with.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There are some Lightmoor titles that you just keep returning to, such as the wonderful colour photo series covering Gloucestershire.

Is there any information regarding when the next such title is due out, by the way, please?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

There are some Lightmoor titles that you just keep returning to, such as the wonderful colour photo series covering Gloucestershire.

Is there any information regarding when the next such title is due out, by the way, please?

No indication on their website Cap'n.  However I'm sure that if you were to ring them and ask you might find out more  - ex specially if you order some books at the same time ;)   I ordered two books from them in mid-December and they were delivered within 24 hours of ordering, duly packed to their usual Parcel Post/courier proof standard.   They're  an excellent firm to deal with over the 'phone and in my experience their response to telephoned orders is always remarkably quick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I received British Railway History in colour - Volume 8 in the mail last night. The post to Australia seems to be on the mend. This covers the Warwickshire Western region lines and is labelled as Part 1 - Fenny Compton to Snow Hill.

The photo coverage is excellent and well up to the standard of the other volumes (I only have the WR ones at present) There is a good coverage of the infrastructure, I particularly like the photos of Fenny Compton. There are some truly excellent photographs of signal Boxes, the interiors and the staff. I must admit to enjoying photos of the staff, it is nice when you can put a name to the face. 

The coverage of services is very good and there are lots of photos where the photographer stepped back a bit so we see the trains and the environment - not just the locos.  I have a bit of a thing for Hatton station and the photos of the area are brilliant. Probably my favourites in the book (at present)

In summary, although I have not fully read the book yet, it is an excellent addition to this range and highly recommended.

Regards,

Craig W

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2