Farish mark 2 DBSO

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

Another new topic.

I thought these would be out of my era but on the Oxford mark 3 topic, giz has put a very useful photo of a blue/grey DBSO heading a push-pull rake  of b/g air-conditioned mark 2s with a mark 1 miniature buffet, propelled by large-logo 47707. The date is March 1981. Another bashing for the wallet!

• RMweb Gold

Well the CAD looks the part and hopefully the tumble home and bogies will be better than current no air con offering - I think the sides do not turn in enough and the bogies are wimpish to me anyway. Hopefully not too many years to save up if CAD shown.

I will ditch the coupler and add dummy buckeye or keep a Dapol  buckeye handy. I am sure that there are loads of folk waiting for this to hit the shelves and a myriad of E&G layouts at the planning stage.  

• RMweb Premium

A book set of all the coaches necessary would be a good marketing decision. Lots of choice and liveries there.

Gerry

All coaches necessary for what? For the Scotrail offering you ideally want mk3s, which aren't by Farish anyway.

A book set of all the coaches necessary would be a good marketing decision. Lots of choice and liveries there.

Gerry

All coaches necessary for what? For the Scotrail offering you ideally want mk3s, which aren't by Farish anyway.

Farish could always do a run of their old Mk3s - at least the livery would all match though the Farish 47 was a good match for the Dapol Scotrail Mk3s IIRC.

It's just a pity the Mk3 coaches arrived so long ago as a shop special edition, there must be a lot of 47/7 Mk3 combos around with an old Farish Mk2 on the front masquerading as a DBSO. 

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, would be good if Dapol re-ran a batch. As you say, they matched them superbly to the Farish locos, simply by buying one and sending it to the factory!

I think the Farish mk3s would grate horribly with the new mk2s, but I'm sure Electra will sell a few vinyls!

Well the CAD looks the part and hopefully the tumble home and bogies will be better than current no air con offering - I think the sides do not turn in enough and the bogies are wimpish to me anyway. Hopefully not too many years to save up if CAD shown.

I will ditch the coupler and add dummy buckeye or keep a Dapol  buckeye handy. I am sure that there are loads of folk waiting for this to hit the shelves and a myriad of E&G layouts at the planning stage.

Here's a couple of pics of a DBSO, hopefully showing underframe, bogie and tumblehome detail:

post-33-0-14085100-1532030988_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-04196400-1532031008_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another new topic.

I thought these would be out of my era but on the Oxford mark 3 topic, giz has put a very useful photo of a blue/grey DBSO heading a push-pull rake  of b/g air-conditioned mark 2s with a mark 1 miniature buffet, propelled by large-logo 47707. The date is March 1981. Another bashing for the wallet!

The only 47/7's that carried large logo were 47711 and 47712..

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Mark

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tom,

Thanks for sharing. From what you saw, were the 2F samples a 3D printed or injection moulded sample?

I noticed what looked like stepping, particularly in the roof, but maybe it was just a rough paint job. I honestly can’t tell which they are.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul.

I would have said injection moulded samples personally, possibly a first shot from the moulds like the 8F. I'm 99.99% certain they were not 3D printed so I suspect any stepping is a result of being sprayed via rattle can!

Tom.  

Thanks for sharing. From what you saw, were the 2F samples a 3D printed or injection moulded sample?

I noticed what looked like stepping, particularly in the roof, but maybe it was just a rough paint job. I honestly can’t tell which they are.

Apparently they were EP samples not 3D prints (might make a good song title).

G.

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty certain they won't have working saloon lights, but the DBSO does have working end lighting. There appeared to be a raised floor at the driving/brake end which presumably is the decoder space. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty certain they won't have working saloon lights, but the DBSO does have working end lighting. There appeared to be a raised floor at the driving/brake end which presumably is the decoder space. 

Tom.  

Correct--no saloon lights in the N version.