Exactoscale Track and Wheel Products

Blue Max

Andrew Jukes the owner of Exactoscale, has anounced in the latest EM Gauge Society magazine that his range of products will initially be available through the Scalefour Society and the EM Gauge Society. He also indicates that he intends to create his own ordering facilities.

It is intended the C&W wheels along with track and turnout kits will be available by or during September 2018. Eventually it is hoped to re-introduce the P4 loco wheel range. It is planned to offer the full range of track in EM and P4. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One does wonder where the EM bit got tagged into it?

Or this bit.

Finally, the announcement does not say ‘he intends to create his own ordering facilities’.

And It does annoy me when I read things like this.

I guess one should not expect great accuracy in postings on RMweb but it is a pity when carefully worded announcements have their meaning altered when ‘quoted’.

The fact that 2 EMGS members have misread the announcement could mean it wasn't actually well written in the first place.

What is ‘Exactoscale’? I am not the 'owner of Exactoscale’ but of the tooling and existing stock. Exactoscale is not a company and the arrangements described in the announcement are of an informal cooperative group of modellers.

Whether he likes it or not he will be known as, and referred to as "The owner of Exactoscale"  He did take it back from C&L after all.

Having used 80M of the fast track in the past,  I have something planned that may well require more Exactoscale components in the future, so I'm actually very happy it will continue.

• Like 1

Chris,

The announcement in the EMGS newsletter for July quotes "Initially mail order sales will exclusively be from the Scalefour and EMGS stores although in addition we intend, shortly, to create our own ordering facilities".

That is pretty clear cut to me.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

The announcement in the EMGS newsletter for July quotes "Initially mail order sales will exclusively be from the Scalefour and EMGS stores although in addition we intend, shortly, to create our own ordering facilities".

Rob

I can see the confusion now, it's the EMGS who will create the ordering system for themselves not 'Exactoscale/co-op'

Thanks.

Chris,

Yes but the "we" in the quoted text is Andrew Jukes and colleagues not the EMGS people. My impression was that Andrew would seek to get the range back in production and use the stores facilities of the Scalefour and EMGS to enable us to purchase parts. When that was done it could transition to be  also possible to buy directly from Andrews group.

Sorry to Andrew if that is not correct but that is how it reads. We all appreciate his efforts - I certainly will when my stocks run low.

Rob

Chris,

Rob

Rob

"Initially mail order sales will exclusively be from the Scalefour and EMGS stores.  Fine I understand this and means I have access to supplies in the short term

in addition we intend, shortly, to create our own ordering facilities  To me as the word "addition" is used and assumed by saying "we" meant a separate entity to the two societies

Still great news that not only has a temporary access measure has been secured for those with membership to one of the two societies, but a separate own ordering facility will be set up in the future

A big thanks to all concerned.

John, I don't know if you're a member of EMGS and have seen their announcement in the magazine, but the way it's presented makes it very clear that Andrew Jukes is intending to create his own ordering facility.  We now know that isn't the case, but the statement Rob quoted is entirely within a blue border presented as a letter signed off by Andrew Jukes, underneath a heading stating "An Announcement from Andrew Jukes".  I would post a copy here but the magazine is copyright.  Given Andrew's denial that he ever said this, it can only be assumed that the EMGS have inserted this into his letter before publishing it.  As published in the magazine, it's really very clear with no ambiguity whatsoever, however incorrect the statement may be.

Cheers,

Paul

John, I don't know if you're a member of EMGS and have seen their announcement in the magazine, but the way it's presented makes it very clear that Andrew Jukes is intending to create his own ordering facility.  We now know that isn't the case, but the statement Rob quoted is entirely within a blue border presented as a letter signed off by Andrew Jukes, underneath a heading stating "An Announcement from Andrew Jukes".  I would post a copy here but the magazine is copyright.  Given Andrew's denial that he ever said this, it can only be assumed that the EMGS have inserted this into his letter before publishing it.  As published in the magazine, it's really very clear with no ambiguity whatsoever, however incorrect the statement may be.

Will there be a correction / clarification in the next issue....?

• RMweb Gold

the way it's presented makes it very clear that Andrew Jukes is intending to create his own ordering facility. We now know that isn't the case

Do we?

Andrew Jukes has said only that the wording reported here on RMweb doesn't match the original. He hasn't said anything about what it means: https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=62192#p62192

Martin.

Will there be a correction / clarification in the next issue....?

Surely we don't have to wait until the next printed issue ? This is 2018 - what about electronic communication.

What will be will be though. Lets just be grateful that we will have access to important supplies.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Semantics perhaps. I recall a meeting when Andrew was BRB Investment Adviser where a handful of us discussed a new draft of the BR Investment Regulations, and careful phrasing was part of the deal. I don't think that draft ever saw the printers. He then went on to be Director of Business review, reporting direct to Chairman John Welsby, I think. It was in that role that he and I had a formal chat about my IT project, in which we agreed the in-house supplier was a pile of poo. 

He must have thought that starting a model manufacturing business, particularly at the finescale end, would be simpler.....

• Like 1

Do we?

Andrew Jukes has said only that the wording reported here on RMweb doesn't match the original. He hasn't said anything about what it means: https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=62192#p62192

Martin.

Martin

Taken from Mr Jukes reply

The lesson from this is to read the original if you want to get an accurate picture of what is planned. Announcements will be made soon through Scalefour Society arrangements (the deadline for the EMGS Newsletter decided the timing of the EMGS announcement).

Well I have the announcement in the EMGS newsletter in front of me which seems clear enough, but being told by others it's not how it reads !!.

Still its good news that the existing products will be maintained and others reintroduced where possible

From Andrew Jukes' comments on the Scalefour society message board...

The announcement states that 'we will be offering the full range of P4 and EM track.’ The RMweb ‘quote’ states that ‘it is planned to offer the full range of track in EM and P4’. Why the change? The RMweb ‘quote’ could be read as implying that the pre-existing range of, largely, P4 track will be expanded to cover the same range in EM. Not true. There is no such commitment.

Finally, the announcement does not say ‘he intends to create his own ordering facilities’.

Word for word an extract from the EMGS newsletter. 

[preamble regarding bringing things in house and lead times]... It is intended that we will be offering the full range of P4 and EM track.

Initially, mail order sales will exclusively be from the Scalefour Society Stores and EMGS Stores although in addition, we intend, shortly, to create our own ordering facilities. 

It is our aim that Exactoscale Products will have a website which will contain a full price list of all products, instruction sheets on using the products and more general advice on assembling and laying track.

Sentence 1 - my interpretation is not that Exactoscale will produce everything in P4 and EM gauge, but that a range of track and components will be available (the current range?), many of which can be used equally well for either standard, although there are some such as check-rail chairs which have the check-rail spacing built into them for P4 which won't work for EM. I agree with Mr Jukes' comment on this. 

Sentence 2 - for the immediate future we will have to rely on the society stores for components. The 'we' that is referred to I can only assume is the Exactoscale consortium (whomever the rest of them are!), not Andrew Jukes personally (is the distinction between 'He' and 'We [,the consortium?]' what Mr Jukes took umbrage with in the original post?). However it does imply that there is the intention to have some as yet unrevealed method of buying components if you're not a member of one of the societies. We can only speculate on what mechanism this could be.

Sentence 3 - quite how their sales mechanism will work is unknown, but at least we'll know how much the items cost and how to put them together! 

This venture is very much a threat to C&L

I'd rather think of it as competition, and the availability of track making components from two independent sources. Don't forget, C&L also has the 7mm range. 

Edited by sharris

This venture is very much a threat to C&L

David

Years ago I worked for a company selling cameras, this company was very successful but would only open shops in towns and cities where there was competition, so quite often competition can be very healthy. I do speak with Phil from time to time and he has plans to improve the C&L range, for instance as we speak a new tool for 00 gauge track has been ordered. and there are other plans

I have no idea of what the selling activities the new Exactoscale has, however in the past C&L had a larger presence at shows, so there is no reason why the two ranges cannot exist with each other and dovetail with products where they overlap. Dont forget Peco has limited 4 & 7 mm track component ranges, and there is Off the Rails in 7 mm scale using 3D printing

The good thing about competition is that it tends to up peoples game, resulting in a better service for customers  

I'd rather think of it as competition, and the availability of track making components from two independent sources. Don't forget, C&L also has the 7mm range. 

So does Exactoscale

• RMweb Gold

Surely we don't have to wait until the next printed issue ? This is 2018 - what about electronic communication.

What will be will be though. Lets just be grateful that we will have access to important supplies.

Rob

That will come back and bite you! Just see the thread about online payments to C&L!  Unless of course by electronic communication you mean this new fangled so called telegraph. I believe that this may catch on. I heard all about it on Mr Marconi's new device.  

David

Years ago I worked for a company selling cameras, this company was very successful but would only open shops in towns and cities where there was competition, so quite often competition can be very healthy. I do speak with Phil from time to time and he has plans to improve the C&L range, for instance as we speak a new tool for 00 gauge track has been ordered. and there are other plans

I have no idea of what the selling activities the new Exactoscale has, however in the past C&L had a larger presence at shows, so there is no reason why the two ranges cannot exist with each other and dovetail with products where they overlap. Dont forget Peco has limited 4 & 7 mm track component ranges, and there is Off the Rails in 7 mm scale using 3D printing

The good thing about competition is that it tends to up peoples game, resulting in a better service for customers

So does Exactoscale

C&L aren’t coping too well even as a monopoly

From Andrew Jukes' comments on the Scalefour society message board...

Word for word an extract from the EMGS newsletter. 

Sentence 1 - my interpretation is not that Exactoscale will produce everything in P4 and EM gauge, but that a range of track and components will be available (the current range?), many of which can be used equally well for either standard, although there are some such as check-rail chairs which have the check-rail spacing built into them for P4 which won't work for EM. I agree with Mr Jukes' comment on this. 

Sentence 2 - for the immediate future we will have to rely on the society stores for components. The 'we' that is referred to I can only assume is the Exactoscale consortium (whomever the rest of them are!), not Andrew Jukes personally (is the distinction between 'He' and 'We [,the consortium?]' what Mr Jukes took umbrage with in the original post?). However it does imply that there is the intention to have some as yet unrevealed method of buying components if you're not a member of one of the societies. We can only speculate on what mechanism this could be.

Sentence 3 - quite how their sales mechanism will work is unknown, but at least we'll know how much the items cost and how to put them together! 

As far as I remember you can purchase from both the Scalefour and EMGS trade stands at exhibitions without being a member. Maybe that is not now the case but it certainly used to be.

Rob

As far as I remember you can purchase from both the Scalefour and EMGS trade stands at exhibitions without being a member. Maybe that is not now the case but it certainly used to be.

Rob

You can indeed do that at an Expo or Scalefourm - That is part of the reason they are held, to acquire the goods one wants.

you could also become friends with a member who could buy things on your behalf;)

Rob

Do they take stock to shows other than ExpoEM and Scaleforum? I'm sure when I've seen them at other shows their stands don't look large enough.

Should I have clarified the 97.8% of the year when there isn't an ExpoEM or Scaleforum happening? :)