5250 gallon rebodied tenders with WC/BoB

Chris Higgs

Sorry if this is already covered elsewhere. On the RT Models site, but originating from Albert Goodall, it states that new Bulleid style 5250 gallon tender bodies were made to replace tenders which were life-expired, and that these were used with both MN and WC/BoB locomotives. I am aware of these with the MNs, but can anyone point me in the direction of photos showing them with the Light Pacifics?

Chris Higgs

• RMweb Gold

5250g tenders were initially attached to four rebuilt light Pacifics,

34031 Torrington, 34039 Boscastle, 34046 Braunton and 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair.

After Torrington and Boscastle were withdrawn, their tenders were transferred to 34087 145 Squadron and 34104 Bere Alston respectively.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

I'd always assumed the rebodied tenders were a higher water capacity than what they replaced, which is correct for the 4500g tenders, but not 5500 gal. Why did they not just fit new 5500g tender bodies?

And given that the 5250g tenders seem to have more bulk than the 5500g ones, why is the capacity less. The entire water space is higher (up to height of fire iron tunnels, whereas of the 5500g tenders there is a recess. Where to the 5250 bodies loose capacity compared to their larger cousins?

• 1 month later...